Esgenoopetitj band chief, councillors fired over corruption

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
APTN National News
Aboriginal Affairs has fired the chief of Esgenoopetitj and three of its councillors.
The decision was made after an investigation into corrupt practices during the bands last election.
An order from Minister of Aboriginal Affairs John Duncan also bans Chief Joseph Dedam, councillors Irene Dedam and Ronald Somerville from participating in elections for two years.
Coun. Joseph Dean Barnaby was also fired and is banned for four years.
Esgenoopetitj resident Curtis Bartibougue, who lost a bid for chief in the last election, asked the RCMP and the department to investigate. He spoke to APTN National News.

Esgenoopetitj band chief, councillors fired over corruption | APTN National News

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wow....I hope those in Native & Metis Politics in Saskatchewan are paying attention
to this. I didn't even realize there was a body with any authority above the bands that
could be taken seriously with respect to corruption at the band levels.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Wow....I hope those in Native & Metis Politics in Saskatchewan are paying attention
to this. I didn't even realize there was a body with any authority above the bands that
could be taken seriously with respect to corruption at the band levels.
There is, but there are a few factors that will be considered...

1, Are those to be investigated gov't friendly status quo 'injins'?
2, Will the replacements by a problem for the Crown?
3, There better be a train load of evidence, and even that isn't always a guarantee.
4, How much will it cost?
5, Will someone in the gov't end up looking bad?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You will find corrupt politicians at all levels of government. It just depends on how determined voters are to weed them out.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
They should be banned from Public Office if convicted of a Criminal offense for the same amount that a person is excluded from Parliament.
My opinion only - applies to all elected office - 10 years minimum for a CC conviction for fraud, misuse of funds, authority, most CC conviction. Not all Convictions but most. And no i do not have a list.