Question about Henri Bourassa

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I just finished reading a book about Laurier and i was suprised to find out this man "Henri Bourassa" was mentioned in it quite frequently. I have some opinions of the man, but im not sure if i have the words to properly describe how i feel about him.

I will say that i dont believe he wasnt a sepratist but a Canadian Nationalist, and he had alot of the same feelings about Canada Laurier had.But im not sure if im missing something.

What do you people know about him and how do you feel about his impact he made on Canadian politics?

Thanks in Advance, and dont **** around

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I've not heard of him before but I've just quickly read over his bio on wikipedia. Interesting. Quite odd in today's political climate to view a French-Canadian politician as a champion of nationalism, but then Canada (and Quebec) were very different places back then I suppose. Equally as difficult to consisely state what the impact was, clearly there has been some impact especially it would seem in Quebec, but if the staunch nationalism I've just read about is indeed accurate, then maybe those influenced by him have taken the course of politics in Quebec into a different direction?

Difficult to state a concise opinion of the man just based on what I've read. As it did state that he did oppose Laurier and it is a book on Laurier to which you are referring, can I ask what the context of how he was mentioned was?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Long dead, who cares?

Apparently you are unaware of the fact that the ideas of many individuals live on well after their deaths.

Bourassa opposed Quebec's entry into confederation. He believed that the only way to preserve Quebec culture was for Quebec to be an independent entity. His ideas live on in the current separatist movement in Quebec.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Difficult to state a concise opinion of the man just based on what I've read. As it did state that he did oppose Laurier and it is a book on Laurier to which you are referring, can I ask what the context of how he was mentioned was?

He was the most vocal against Lauriers compromising nature. And although they were in the same party they were always at different sides of almost all debates.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Bourassa was an interesting individual a politian, a journalist, a Quebec nationalist yet pragmatic enough to be a Canadian nationalist. The widmills he was fighting are still there today. He had a belief in Parliamentary supremacy over that of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet. He was a leader in reducing Britain's influence over Canadian affairs (eg declarations of war).He recognized that while Quebec independance was a laudable goal it might be unattainable so put his efforts into making French a fact of lifeat least in language. Federal elections in Quebec were fought around his views (eg Conscription crisis 1917). All in all an impessive presence in our History from 1890 to 1935.