Some animals more equal than others?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Furor over horse meat on food show - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Seems there is controversy over horse meat on a TV show. Now I eat vegan, so needless ot say it's not like I see much difference between beef and horse meat. But what I don't understand is why meat eaters would make such a distinction? Clearly the protesters here have nothing against beaf but something against horse? Is it because horeses are cuter than bulls or what?

Can any meat eater explain this one?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's because they were working animals and have been so for many, many years. Domesticated for a specific purpose, like dogs. It's the same reason North Americans don't eat dog meat. In some countries they do.

It's a holdover from times past.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Furor over horse meat on food show - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Seems there is controversy over horse meat on a TV show. Now I eat vegan, so needless ot say it's not like I see much difference between beef and horse meat. But what I don't understand is why meat eaters would make such a distinction? Clearly the protesters here have nothing against beaf but something against horse? Is it because horeses are cuter than bulls or what?

Can any meat eater explain this one?

Equal to who or what?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think it's because they were working animals and have been so for many, many years. Domesticated for a specific purpose, like dogs. It's the same reason North Americans don't eat dog meat. In some countries they do.

It's a holdover from times past.

And oxen have never been used as working animals?

Equal to who or what?
Any meat? Why should someone find the cooking show quite inoffensive when it involves the meat of one animal, but then propose a boycott when it involves the meat of another animal?

Don't get me wrong, one is free to boycott whatever he wants. I'm just curious as to the rationale.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Any meat? Why should someone find the cooking show quite inoffensive when it involves the meat of one animal, but then propose a boycott when it involves the meat of another animal?

Don't get me wrong, one is free to boycott whatever he wants. I'm just curious as to the rationale.
I wouldn't boycott it myself personally. I just thinks that's why some people might find it distasteful (pardon the pun) because they associate a horse, not unlike a dog, with a certain role. Maybe.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well at least you're consistent. How a meat eater can oppose the eating of the meat of one animal but not of another is beyond me.
Personal tastes.

I've never tried it myself. But it's definitely not common.
That's for sure, I can thank my Dutch friends for my chance. They developed a taste for it during WWII.

I've eaten everything from Moose to maggots. I have recipes for survival meals that would turn your stomach, lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I wouldn't boycott it myself personally. I just thinks that's why some people might find it distasteful (pardon the pun) because they associate a horse, not unlike a dog, with a certain role. Maybe.
I've eaten dog too, Coyote actually, but close enough. I just had to try it, I killed it. The Korean gentleman I give the carcasses to, gave me some to try. Not bad, but not something I'd seek out again, lol.

Leading to calls for boycotts!? That's some serious personal tastes :D
Some people are silly.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Personal tastes.

That's for sure, I can thank my Dutch friends for my chance. They developed a taste for it during WWII.

I've eaten everything from Moose to maggots. I have recipes for survival meals that would turn your stomach, lol.
I'm with you on the moose. The maggots you can have all to yourself, lol.

Not saying I wouldn't try horse meat given the opportunity. Maybe not dog meat though, I don't know, that doesn't appeal to me. (But I'd probably try that before the maggots ;) )

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Oh, okay, Machjo. I don't see the problem with eating horse meat - meat is meat. I wouldn't but then I only eat bison, elk and deer meat now that my butcher added the last two. Before that it was only bison for years. Lower fat content, raised locally and no grain feed - and much tastier for my palate.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm with you on the moose. The maggots you can have all to yourself, lol.
My Grandfather was of the opinion, that if you could eat it when you didn't have to, when you had to, it would be easy.

Not saying I wouldn't try horse meat given the opportunity. Maybe not dog meat though, I don't know, that doesn't appeal to me. (But I'd probably try that before the maggots ;) )
It reminded me of goat, of which I'm no big fan either.

Oh, okay, Machjo. I don't see the problem with eating horse meat - meat is meat. I wouldn't but then I only eat bison, elk and deer meat now that my butcher added the last two. Before that it was only bison for years. Lower fat content, raised locally and no grain feed - and much tastier for my palate.
What are you paying a pound for the Bison? If you don't mind me asking.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My Grandfather was of the opinion, that if you could eat it when you didn't have to, when you had to, it would be easy.

It reminded me of goat, of which I'm no big fan either.

What are you paying a pound for the Bison? If you don't mind me asking.

Had to take a trip to my freezer and check the label for the answer to your question, Bear. I pay 18.98/kg for ground bison and elk. Am out of the deer at the moment so not sure what it costs. Bison rose sharply in price this past year as more is being exported to the States my butcher told me which drove the cost up. I rarely get anything other than ground meat as the steaks and roasts are really, really pricey. John, my butcher, also sells deer, elk and bison garlic sausage and pepperoni which I will also get on occasion. Mmmn.........all this talk of meat is making me hungry. :smile: Also, I don't eat meat very often so the price is not something I really worry about.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Had to take a trip to my freezer and check the label for the answer to your question, Bear. I pay 18.98/kg for ground bison and elk. Am out of the deer at the moment so not sure what it costs. Bison rose sharply in price this past year as more is being exported to the States my butcher told me which drove the cost up. I rarely get anything other than ground meat as the steaks and roasts are really, really pricey. John, my butcher, also sells deer, elk and bison garlic sausage and pepperoni which I will also get on occasion. Mmmn.........all this talk of meat is making me hungry. :smile: Also, I don't eat meat very often so the price is not something I really worry about.
Ya, I'd go broke at those prices, lol, with the four of us here being big meat eaters. LOL

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Horses have personality. Cows don't and neither do pigs. Besides horse doesn't taste anything near as good a grass fed beef, dry ages and cooked perfectly to order. Pigs, yeah bacon. nuff said.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Horses have personality. Cows don't and neither do pigs. Besides horse doesn't taste anything near as good a grass fed beef, dry ages and cooked perfectly to order. Pigs, yeah bacon. nuff said.

I think there may be more than a few kids in 4-H who would beg to differ with your opinion on pigs and cows not having a personality. Spend some quality time with an animal and you may just see that all kinds of animals have personal traits that set them apart from other of their kind.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I could never eat a horse, its like eating a pet. So, it seems its all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm the stereo type, only beef, pork, chicken, and some fish, thats it, I don't like wild game,
except for deer liver, it tastes just like calves liver, or good beef liver.

I'm stuck in my narrow little rut when it comes to meat, and I'm stayin there. lol