Latest Topics Scroll

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
So I was thinking, what if we made the most recent threads column a little bit more fresh and forgot about the older threads older than 14 days and it was pretty much empty of new threads. So I tried 30 days and still nothing. 3 months the same and then I tried to only display threads from only the past year and at least we had threads with new replies.

What do you guys think of having only newer threads on the main page instead of (ie. threads from 2-7 years ago)? Is this site only interesting if some members start arguing about a topic from 2005? Come on! It's not that interesting to talk about some question a passerby posed 8 years ago*?

* Sorry #juan, but I rediscovered your speaker thread and found it highly interesting. The latest reply in 2010 was more than annoying. (A form reply with an email address attached is more than suspicious. PS. Happy belated birthday).

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I like having an archives. They make for some good reading. Maybe you can lock a thread if it's been dead for a while?
Good idea. Sometimes I like to research a bit for stuff that may have been posted. I doubt I'd dredge an entire thread up just over one or two points in it though.
Rather than ditching old threads, I'd rather see multiple threads on the same topic amalgamated. That way more variety of issues can be shown in the menu. (I think at the one time I saw 7 or 8 threads all about Haiti in the menu at one time, and there were 14, I think, in total)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Good idea. Sometimes I like to research a bit for stuff that may have been posted. I doubt I'd dredge an entire thread up just over one or two points in it though.
Rather than ditching old threads, I'd rather see multiple threads on the same topic amalgamated. That way more variety of issues can be shown in the menu. (I think at the one time I saw 7 or 8 threads all about Haiti in the menu at one time, and there were 14, I think, in total)

We think amalgamating topics is a good idea. We try to do that whenever it is feasible. You'll notice the size of the Middle East thread, for example?;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Okay Andem, if you were moving threads around - what happened? I was on here a couple of hours ago and there was a thread regarding capital punishment in Canada and everyone seemed to be doing a fair amt. of responding. Now it's not even on the main page. Did it disappear because of the moving or did it just disappear?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Not to dredge up old things but - for those of us who were on canada.com, the page was set up so that what you saw were sub titles. You would see for example - the word NEWS. If you wanted to read about items in the news, you clicked on that word and there were drop downs then of just news items. There was another for Arts and Entertainment. The same titles as here but you clicked on a title and then you went to a thread. Here, it's a mish mash of everything the moment you open the forums. The other way, the page is short and you choose where you want to be. Admittedly, the news was the most popular site but many other topics were opened as well. Some of the others from there should be able to paint a good picture of it and say whether or not they liked the idea a little better.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
So I was thinking, what if we made the most recent threads column a little bit more fresh and forgot about the older threads older than 14 days and it was pretty much empty of new threads. So I tried 30 days and still nothing. 3 months the same and then I tried to only display threads from only the past year and at least we had threads with new replies.

What do you guys think of having only newer threads on the main page instead of (ie. threads from 2-7 years ago)? Is this site only interesting if some members start arguing about a topic from 2005? Come on! It's not that interesting to talk about some question a passerby posed 8 years ago*?

* Sorry #juan, but I rediscovered your speaker thread and found it highly interesting. The latest reply in 2010 was more than annoying. (A form reply with an email address attached is more than suspicious. PS. Happy belated birthday).

Hi. Chris, There are lots od old topics that I would like to reserect. and that one is a good one. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I don't know if I want anymore birthdays or not....:lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Okay Andem, if you were moving threads around - what happened? I was on here a couple of hours ago and there was a thread regarding capital punishment in Canada and everyone seemed to be doing a fair amt. of responding. Now it's not even on the main page. Did it disappear because of the moving or did it just disappear?
I see things are back in order. Disregard this post.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yep, threads can run off the bottom of the page in two or three hours but I don't find that a problem as I just go to "search" in the top right corner and bingo, it's up again where I can get at it. Any way of putting in a thread index in alphabetical or chronilogical order?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yep, threads can run off the bottom of the page in two or three hours but I don't find that a problem as I just go to "search" in the top right corner and bingo, it's up again where I can get at it. Any way of putting in a thread index in alphabetical or chronilogical order?
They do and it's quite a nusiance. JLM you were on the other forums. Didn't you find it easier to have a "drop down" menu so to speak under the various titles of things like:
News; Entertainment; Computers; Food; etc. We saw just those titles on the main page and we clicked on the title to view the rest. The only time a thread disappeared (not including removal) was when no one posted on it for days at a time - all we saw were page numbers of archived information.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They do and it's quite a nusiance. JLM you were on the other forums. Didn't you find it easier to have a "drop down" menu so to speak under the various titles of things like:
News; Entertainment; Computers; Food; etc. We saw just those titles on the main page and we clicked on the title to view the rest. The only time a thread disappeared (not including removal) was when no one posted on it for days at a time - all we saw were page numbers of archived information.

The system was good enough, but about 95% of what we posted seemed to be under "news" I see here now the Canucks thread keeps dropping off for some reason.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Good morning Andem. OK I see what is happening. I think one more change is needed- the old threads that we still regularly use should be renamed so they will appear on the front page, instead of keep dropping off. Word Association is probably one good example.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Good morning Andem. OK I see what is happening. I think one more change is needed- the old threads that we still regularly use should be renamed so they will appear on the front page, instead of keep dropping off. Word Association is probably one good example.
No - that is not the answer. If you re-name something, how will people know what it is? The answer lies in what I was referring to. Yes, most things got posted under the title "News" but this forum is larger by "population" and is more diverse. People here are used to going to various headings. The massive loss of threads comes out of that in reality. If it was set up the other way, threads would not drop off the page as long as they were active on a daily basis. Sports for example can be another heading. You mention that the Canucks page is dropping off the page frequently but you have to remember that we are nearing the end of the season and that will happen. It's kind of the natural order of events. When things are under a heading (which we can go to now but we do not because the threads are staring us in the face the moment we click on the word "Forums"), the main page is not a clutter of threads that are there one moment and vanish the next. ALL we should see is what is shown at the lower part of the main page whereby we can choose our heading and page number. That way, if I want to check on a post of my own or one I know you have made and I know it's under "News" I can go directly to News, click and see all the news threads, then scan the page for the title I want and I'm where I want to be. I don't need to search all over. If I don't recall what I am looking for is in the News page, I can click on each heading and at a glance see what I am looking for. Far less complicated.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If one goes and looks under the current issues menu there already are the different categories of topics such as "Arts & Entertainment", "News", general topics like "Lounge", etc.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
If I may step in with a suggestion:

Although I have no issue with how things currently are and feel things are just fine, perhaps one additional feature should be that any topic that is more then 30 days old should be locked regardless.

However, if someone wishes to resurrect that thread because they have a legit opinion to contribute, I was wondering if it is possible to have something like a poll system.

What I mean is that rather then filling up the main page with a bunch of individual old threads, there is one section one clicks on that highlights when a request to unlock an old thread is made, you click there and a new page lists the threads with requests for unlock. In order to unlock that thread, a poll of perhaps two or more members are required so that there is evidence that there will be an actual discussion/debate if unlocked.

Of course, threads locked by moderators/admins due to infringing on forum rules wouldn't have this feature.

Not sure how complicated this would be to make, but it just crossed my mind and figured I'd share.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If I may step in with a suggestion:

Although I have no issue with how things currently are and feel things are just fine, perhaps one additional feature should be that any topic that is more then 30 days old should be locked regardless.

However, if someone wishes to resurrect that thread because they have a legit opinion to contribute, I was wondering if it is possible to have something like a poll system.

What I mean is that rather then filling up the main page with a bunch of individual old threads, there is one section one clicks on that highlights when a request to unlock an old thread is made, you click there and a new page lists the threads with requests for unlock. In order to unlock that thread, a poll of perhaps two or more members are required so that there is evidence that there will be an actual discussion/debate if unlocked.

Of course, threads locked by moderators/admins due to infringing on forum rules wouldn't have this feature.

Not sure how complicated this would be to make, but it just crossed my mind and figured I'd share.
Another nifty idea. :)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If this is all you saw when you click on the word "Forums", wouldn't it be easier to then choose where you would like to be? Once you choose your Heading (News for example) you open up the next window. You then make your selection of a thread. This is so much more simple to follow.
Club CC
Introductions (1 Viewing)
Come on in and introduce yourself :)

18,044 posts
Allow me to Re-Introduce...
1 hour ago by Zan

Hot Topics (52 Viewing)
No politics or copying, cutting and pasting!

159,516 posts
9 charged with bullying Mass....
23 minutes ago by selin

In The News (77 Viewing)
News articles, links and discussion about current events.
Sub-Forums: CBC News,

212,460 posts
The Coulter Challenge!!!
4 hours ago by AnnaG

Fun & Jokes (11 Viewing)
A healthy source for a daily dose of laughter.

26,638 posts
Your best prank as a kid
8 hours ago by relic

Members Lounge
Ranting, blogging, chatter type stuff.
Sub-Forums: Ask Karrie, Forum Games, Wreck Beach, The Steel Cage,

213,060 posts
9/11, an inside job?
6 hours ago by MHz

Politics
Canadian Politics (28 Viewing)
We discuss national politics and Canada's place in the world.

213,522 posts
Canadian gun rights.
Just now by AnnaG

International Politics (49 Viewing)
Any political discussions not directly related to Canada.

187,130 posts
PA, Israel team up to fight...
8 minutes ago by CDNBear

US-American Politics (9 Viewing)
Issues surrounding Canada's neighbour.

68,000 posts
Tea Party Protests: 'Ni**er,'...
25 minutes ago by Praxius

Canadian Cafe
Canadian Culture (31 Viewing)
The place to talk about Canada, it's people, culture and history.
Sub-Forums: Discussion Française, Coming to Canada,

45,792 posts
Can muslims be good canadians?
16 minutes ago by AnnaG

Regional Chat (31 Viewing)
Sub-Forums: Alberta, British Columbia, Maritimes, Ontario, Prairies, Quebec,

28,092 posts

Themes
Arts & Entertainment (68 Viewing)
Forums related to arts and entertainment.
Sub-Forums: Juan's Kitchen, Movies, Music & Books, Art and Design,

56,180 posts

Business (7 Viewing)
Discuss business here and within the related subforums.
Sub-Forums: Consumer Awareness,

10,290 posts
Our Daily Poison
2 weeks ago by Stretch

History (63 Viewing)
General History ... discuss all the rear view mirror issues here!

14,832 posts
Hollywood history repeats...
17 hours ago by Bar Sinister

Spirituality & Philosophy (32 Viewing)
Discussion surrounding religion, spirituality and philosophy.
Sub-Forums: Christian Discussion, Faith Discussion, Philosophy Discussion,

89,172 posts

Science & Environment (13 Viewing)
Science and Environmental issues.
Sub-Forums: Climate Change, Alternate Theories,

47,418 posts
Global Warming ‘Greatest Scam...
2 hours ago by Cobalt_Kid

Sports (33 Viewing)
A place to discuss all things sports and hockey related.
Sub-Forums: NHL Hockey, 2010 Winter Olympics,

23,164 posts
How about them Canucks!
5 hours ago by JLM

Technology (63 Viewing)
Computers, Internet, Gadgets and more.
Sub-Forums: Computers & Internet, Mobile Phones,

22,722 posts
Great computer speakers
6 hours ago by #juan

Canadian Content
Canadian Content.net (3 Viewing)
Site and forum helpdesk.

10,206 posts
Latest Topics Scroll
1 hour ago by AnnaG

Web Sites
Regular members can post links here.

2,666 posts
New Vancouver Web Forum
3 weeks ago by B00Mer

Troubleshooting
Have any issues accessing or using the site? Let us know.. we'll try to help.

4,430 posts
Work info???
1 day ago by IamODIE

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I haven't removed any threads at all. I just changed which threads show up in the recent topics scroll because threads from years ago often pop up.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
This place is fine Chris. Things move along at the pace of the forum posts. I find it rather nice.

Everyone else. If you think threads move fast here check out 4chan. Ya, just put 4chan in any search engine... lol. You will find they are responsible for most of the meme you have enjoyed on teh intywebs and I'll bet you can't follow one thread for more than one minute.
Sorry but the theads move at a nice leisurely pace here. Don't speed them up too much Chris. :canada: