Is It Time to Riot ....

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
....in the streets ?

With oil now at $35.00 per barrel, and oil companies flat out stating that they are going to charge what ever they like for gas in order to boost their profits. 93.9 where I am. I ask the Canadian public is it time to commence public protests and I mean huge public protests against the price of gasoline. If we as a population allow them to get away with this ...this time.....it will become the norm. Trust me.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
That's how a free market works: when demand is up you have to charge more and when demand is down you have to charge more.

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
Oh....and don't give me the...well it's better than $1.40 crap. All along oil companies raise prices for...coming hurricans, low inventory, trouble in Venezuela, trouble here and there, the price per barrel is higher, OPEC said they are going to cut production and so on. Well we accepted all those reasons and allowed the oil companies to make 3.9 billion......PER QUARTER.....simple chump change right. Well now they have no reason so they blattenly state......well we need to make more money with the price of oil being so low.

We can not allow this to go on

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
But but but... we all own the oil companies. They are our pensions and investments... think of the little people!

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
I never understood why we were not complaining. I said that years ago when the oil started to go over $50/bbl.

I remember as a kid, back in the 70's, seeing on TV, people just pulling up to the pumps and locking the car and walking away. If it was towed the guy behind him would do the same. Eventually the tow trrucks were used up and stations were shut down.

I guess the radical 60's were not that far away at that time. It is a shame what they did to us. I heard that the military were paying $0.02/gal in Iraq at the height of the war.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
....in the streets ?

With oil now at $35.00 per barrel, and oil companies flat out stating that they are going to charge what ever they like for gas in order to boost their profits. 93.9 where I am. I ask the Canadian public is it time to commence public protests and I mean huge public protests against the price of gasoline. If we as a population allow them to get away with this ...this time.....it will become the norm. Trust me.

Ahhh excuse me, people are a little to fat and stupid to do any protesting I'm afraid. You can try if you like but any boycott or protest is doomed to failure. I bet that if you called for a boycott of say... Esso, thousands of people would still use Esso each day so that the stations would at least break even. Then they would have a big sale for a few hours and pack the joint because stupid is easy to manage. So you have people lining up for gas at a dime a liter less than usual for a few hours during Rush Hour and the station makes a good enough profit that they can get along for another month.

Good luck keeping that many people who a good portion of are stupid and lazy on track.

If you want to hit em' hard where it hurts, buy a bike to ride to work, and take your house off the grid. Now that will piss them off. And you don't have to fool around with people too dumb for their own good.

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
"Here's a thought: if you don't like the price of gas, don't buy it."

Some people just don't have that option.

Ahhh excuse me, people are a little to fat and stupid to do any protesting I'm afraid. You can try if you like but any boycott or protest is doomed to failure.

That's actually why I used the word "riot" in the thread heading. If this was France all the people would go to the streets and the government would listen.....Remember ...according to the constitution ...we the people run this country ...not the politicians. Are we sovereign or not?

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
I remember as a kid, back in the 70's, seeing on TV, people just pulling up to the pumps and locking the car and walking away. If it was towed the guy behind him would do the same. Eventually the tow trrucks were used up and stations were shut down.

What a brilliant idea....

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
On February 11, drivers' thoughts turn to gasoline prices. A barrel of sweet-light crude dropped to $34.00 US. Perhaps we'll get a break at the pumps? But, wait, check the price of regular posted at you friendly neighbourhood gas station. In Edmonton it's just gone up to $0.859/litre. But, most stations give a 3.5 cent per litre discount. So, really, its only $0.824

Talked to my neighbours Henry and Martha; they say we're just paying world price, so get used to it! Maybe....

On February 11 gasoline averaged $1.815 US in Montana Now there are 3.785 L/US gallon, and $1.00 US = $1.213 CDN. So they are paying $1.815X1.213/3.785 = 0.582 CDN/L.

Sure, you say, that's 24.3 cents a litre less than we're paying in Edmonton, but it's because of the taxes.

Well, not really! Let's remove the taxes.

On 1 gallon of gasoline in Montana, they pay $0.184US in federal excise taxes and $0.2775 US in state taxes.
That's a total of $0.461 US/gallon.
Subtract the tax, then do the conversion to $CAN/L.
So, for gasoline before taxes, they pay ($1.815 - $0.461)(1.213)/3.785L =$0.434 CAN/L.

In Edmonton the federal excise tax is $0.10/L and the provincial excise tax is $0.09/L and the total GST on both taxes is $0.095.
Total of the above taxes is $0.20 Subtract this sum from $.824/L and you obtain $0.624/L
Divide by 1.05to eliminate the GST on this difference.
So, for gasoline before taxes, we pay $0.624/1.05 = $ 0.594/CAN/L

Wait a minute, that's still $0.594 - $0.434 = $0.16/L more than in Montana just for gas before tax.

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
From Times Online
February 13, 2009

Petrol pump prices rise despite fall in oil
Robin Pagnamenta, Energy and Environment Editor
UK petrol prices have been rising this year, despite the falling wholesale price of crude oil, new figures have shown.

The average cost of a litre of unleaded petrol in the UK now stands at 90.48p and diesel 100.74p, according to a study from Experian Catalist.

That compares with a recent low of 85.89p glanced on January 6 for petrol and 98.0p for diesel.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Quote: I remember as a kid, back in the 70's, seeing on TV, people just pulling up to the pumps and locking the car and walking away. If it was towed the guy behind him would do the same. Eventually the tow trrucks were used up and stations were shut down.

I like that.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Cost of gas here in Nanaimo went up yesterday. It's now $99.9 cents so in essence, $1.00 a litre. Super Store gives back 5 cents a litre in grocery store coupons.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Another big price gouge in history is (at least for Canadian) was when they made it manditory to change the pumps from Gallons to Litres. I can't remember what the prices was after but before the hack in our town changed it it was $0.25/gal. it took a little while for the bush hippies to figure out what he was doing but they figured a proper conversion for him.

They were pretty upset with his math at the time.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Sure, let us riot. But are they serving food and booze? Only then I will turn up. I don’t mind walking back and forth and shouting slogans, but I must be fed, otherwise I don’t show up.

The gas prices don’t affect me personally, I didn’t feel the pinch even when gas was 1.40 $ a litre. So sure I will riot, but what is in it for me?

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
That's a cop out. You can always change your lifestyle/job/housing arrangements.

A cop out..... If you live on a farm, because the oil companies rip ,us as canadians, off....one should quit farming. Because the government can't give up the 40% taxes or a portion there of up.....one should quit their lively hood. Or TenPenny should one go out and buy a horse and buggy to get to town.....which by the way you would be charged for parking your horse and buggy by local town or city bylaws. That is the most outrageous comment I have ever heard. Perhaps you never heard me state that these companies make 3.9 BILLION DOLLARS PER QUARTER. For those of you who don't know what a quarter is ...it's 4 months. For those of you who do not know what 3.9 BILLION is ONE THOUSAND MILLION TIMES 4 ....every 4 months. That's right TenPenny why should we complain....lets change our lively hood for these companies.....good idea.

To the rest of you sorry for not being a part of the discussion earlier.