Off-topic posts

L Gilbert
I am not against the odd off-topic post but when people come from other forums and fill up half a page of trivial, off-topic and personal stuff at a time it is getting to be a bit much.

Risus
I agree...

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I am not against the odd off-topic post but when people come from other forums and fill up half a page of trivial, off-topic and personal stuff at a time it is getting to be a bit much.

What do you mean by other forums, other boards?

JLM
"Off topic" can be rather hard to define, sometimes as some topics have many ramifications not to mention the odd word of greeting to someone you are familiar with or haven't heard from in awhile- speaking for myself I was off the forums for awhile but now I'm back and just renewing old acquaintances. I agree it's certainly in bad taste to type 10 pages about something completely unrelated. Sometimes as I've noticed in other forums you get situations where two or three people think they "own" the forum and make the rules. As far as I know all forums are public domain and open to anyone who is not abusive.

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

What do you mean by other forums, other boards?

Yeah, I've noticed a recent influx of posters from canada.com...something about that forum being broken or such...

Which is ok, they seem to be quite intelligent, and have something worthwhile to say...

But I have to agree that the mid-thread, off-topic chit chat is a bit annoying...

Private messaging has been implemented on this forum for a reason, dammit...

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

"Off topic" can be rather hard to define, sometimes as some topics have many ramifications not to mention the odd word of greeting to someone you are familiar with or haven't heard from in awhile- speaking for myself I was off the forums for awhile but now I'm back and just renewing old acquaintances. I agree it's certainly in bad taste to type 10 pages about something completely unrelated. Sometimes as I've noticed in other forums you get situations where two or three people think they "own" the forum and make the rules. As far as I know all forums are public domain and open to anyone who is not abusive.

Nothing wrong with saying hello, how are you - I do the same since I tend to come and go.

Sometimes thread go off topic when they've run their course, too.

Spade
+1
Brrrrr! It's sure cold out there! It took me five minutes to shake the snow off my boots and defrost my glasses! Is this the "Jesus" thread?

PS
Can one be off-topic in an "Off Topic" thread?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

Nothing wrong with saying hello, how are you - I do the same since I tend to come and go.

Sometimes thread go off topic when they've run their course, too.

Yep, Sir Rupe and I had a couple of words about the format of the forum (for one I was asking how to start a new thread) and a couple of "remarks" were passed. No big deal.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Brrrrr! It's sure cold out there! It took me five minutes to shake the snow off my boots and defrost my glasses! Is this the "Jesus" thread?

PS

You're always a card, Spade

Andem
I agree that bringing a thread off-topic is extremely annoying and has an effect on the quality of the discussion about such a topic. That's why when I redesigned the forum, I added "write on wall" to the post. If you really want to greet somebody, somebody's wall is the perfect place. Alternatively, you can post a thread about something or somebody (if you have something nice to say) in the lounge.

hermanntrude
I like parsnips.

When i was a kid I used to hate parsnips but my grandad told me my hair would cur if i ate up my parsnips and thus began a long and beautiful relationship....

Unforgiven
Square pegs in square holes, round pegs in round holes. Conform or suffer.

That is all

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AndemView Post

I agree that bringing a thread off-topic is extremely annoying and has an effect on the quality of the discussion about such a topic. That's why when I redesigned the forum, I added "write on wall" to the post. If you really want to greet somebody, somebody's wall is the perfect place. Alternatively, you can post a thread about something or somebody (if you have something nice to say) in the lounge.

Thanks, I will try to do that in future.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I like parsnips.

When i was a kid I used to hate parsnips but my grandad told me my hair would cur if i ate up my parsnips and thus began a long and beautiful relationship....

One of my favour vegetables and great in stews.

Nuggler
A bit racist there, you and those parsnips!! Go ahead, deny it.

Now, my dog ate carrots, and it's fur turned red.

Top that topic off topic.

or not

Spade
I love golf!
Putt this here (external - login to view)
It's not really square and round, it's rectangular prismatic and cylindrical.
Last edited by Spade; Dec 1st, 2008 at 08:59 AM..Reason: Spelling

Spade
Parsnips could grow on a golf course; in general, they don't. But, in Bermuda, feral chickens grace the links. Triangulation, I think.

Tonington

Of course. If the off-topic thread doesn't fit in to the scope of other sub-forums, and it gets posted here, that doesn't make it a free-for-all.

If the off topic thread is about subject X, and I bust in going on about subjects Y, Z, A and B, then I'm pretty much off-topic in an off-topic thread, no?

Spade
Now, suppose the off-topic thread were about off-topic posts. Could an off-topic post in the thread on off-topic posts in the off-topic category be off topic?

Whoops, i cut myself shaving, anyone have a topical dressing?

Tonington

Now, suppose the off-topic thread were about off-topic posts. Could an off-topic post in the thread on off-topic posts in the off-topic category be off topic?

Whoops, i cut myself shaving, anyone have a topical dressing?

Of course. Talking about the war in Afghanistan for instance would not be talking about off topic posts.

Evolution of threads is fine, but interjecting completely unrelated matter is poor netiquette. It's like spam.

Spade
One more clarification. please.

Is a post on an Off-Topic thread in the Off-Topic category by necessity an off-topic post or an on-topic post?

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

One of my favour vegetables and great in stews.

^ Is this what you guys are talking about

JLM

Is a post on an Off-Topic thread in the Off-Topic category by necessity an off-topic post or an on-topic post?

Both

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

^ Is this what you guys are talking about

I don't know... I confused myself!

Praxius

Here's the simple way to look at it.... if you create a thread that doesn't relate to any of the other sections it goes into the Off-Topic section, but inside that topic that is off of the beaten path, you stay on topic for that topic or you are hi-jacking that thread and it's original topic, which is wrong.

Therefore, talking about how to address Off-Topic threads within this thread is what is supposed to be talked about.

Talking about parsnips and topographical dressing is not.

Spade
JLM,

If A implies not B. And B implies not A. Then C is off topic, but not A and not B, eh?
It's simple.

As always,
Cousin Spade

Trex

Parsnips could grow on a golf course; in general, they don't. But, in Bermuda, feral chickens grace the links. Triangulation, I think.

But if a Parsnip falls,
and no one hears it.

Was it a Parsnip?

Spade
Two parsnips were driving on the 401 and were sideswiped by a tractor-trailer unit. One was badly injured and rushed to the emergency department in the Toronto General. After hours of surgery, the attending physician came to inform the second parsnip who was nervously waiting for news about his friend's condition.

"I have some good news and bad news," the doctor said. " The good news is, your friend is going to live. The bad news is, he's going to be a vegetable all his life."

I got it! The preceding is an example of an off-topic post!

hermanntrude
weasels have very poor eyesight

Tonington

Well, that would depend on the content of the off-topic thread, and the content of the message. It's not by necessity anything. Context is everything you need to answer your questions.