Experiencing some technical difficulties

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
We're still down. Our datacentre staff have not yet located some replacement hardware we require. Members online will probably be dropping around now, as it may become impossible to resolve forums.canadiancontent.net to our IP address.

Apologies in advance!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm special too. I am just sooooooooooooooooo special I can go peeping through the forum and run nekkid and rough shod through here... ain't hardly nobodies around... wooohooo, yay me... giddy up cowboy....yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
well I thought I'd been banned...couldn't log in...I was scared....and worried....

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've found a technical issue, when I hit the arrow to go to newest post in my control panel, it only brings up the first page of the thread.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Those are (unfortunately) secondary issues at the moment. I'm sorry to report that issues concerning access to CC may persist over the next day, but most people with broadband and national ISPs will probably be able to avoid it.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
ra
I've found a technical issue, when I hit the arrow to go to newest post in my control panel, it only brings up the first page of the thread.

me too, but I found a way to make it a little easier to navigate to the last post in a thread. If you change your thread display in your options, it'll give you a couple other choices - I've selected the hybrid option which lists the posts in a little mini window above the thread... you can scroll pretty quickly through those to see where you want to pick up the thread.

ETA: ummm ok then, another glitch. my post just got inserted right after the one I quoted, rather than in sequence. Check the time stamps. This could get interesting.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Only glitch I`ve noticed over the last few days is that my screen will freeze once in a while or I will do a post and it takes so long to load that poof it went into cyberspace... yup you guys have all lost a bit of my incredible wisdom. I know that may be tough to swallow, but... :(

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I can finally get back on. After posting how I was having no issues, I got DNS errors all day yesterday. This was interesting since my wife could get in and we share the same router and same DNS server. Quite bizzare. I even cleared my temp files and rebooted which did nothing to solve my problem.

Gotta love the internet.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I just noticed how many spiders there are when viewing currently active users. Is that normal?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I can finally get back on. After posting how I was having no issues, I got DNS errors all day yesterday. This was interesting since my wife could get in and we share the same router and same DNS server. Quite bizzare. I even cleared my temp files and rebooted which did nothing to solve my problem.

Gotta love the internet.

You can flush the DNS resolver tables by typing the command below... can help with problems like that.

Start-Run-CMD. "ipconfig/flushdns" without the quotations.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I wonder if that was your router? Perhaps the other computer took the ip addy instead of the router leaving you and the router with a 169. Once the other computer was logged off the router could again reclaim the ip and distribute it's own dns to both computers. ?

Gotta love the internet.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just noticed how many spiders there are when viewing currently active users. Is that normal?

kreskin was saying he tends to notice spider swarms around the end of the month. I'd never noticed before. I have no idea what constitutes 'normal' lol.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I wonder if that was your router? Perhaps the other computer took the ip addy instead of the router leaving you and the router with a 169. Once the other computer was logged off the router could again reclaim the ip and distribute it's own dns to both computers. ?

Routers supply non-routable IP's in the range of 192.168.1.xxx etc, giving you 253 different ip addresses, so the chances of getting assigned a 169 are slim to none. Windows PC's do cache DNS addresses though, sometimes you need to flush the cache in order to obtain the correct tables. Routers don't have their own DNS servers, they merely forward DNS requests to the ISP.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah, the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is a local ip address that a workstation will give itself if it can't find a dhcp server to issue the ip addy. In so doing it's not going to communicate with any other computers on the network.

Routers supply non-routable IP's in the range of 192.168.1.xxx etc, giving you 253 different ip addresses, so the chances of getting assigned a 169 are slim to none. Windows PC's do cache DNS addresses though, sometimes you need to flush the cache in order to obtain the correct tables. Routers don't have their own DNS servers, they merely forward DNS requests to the ISP.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I've had that happen a few times in the last few years and when I looked in internet connection details I would get such an imposible number...my fix was rather simple leave one PC on and unplug the router for ten seconds and plug it back in.......then start the other PC's, it always fixed the problem.

It would have been worse if he got I.P. 127.0.0.1

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I usually hard code dns addies onto my network adapters, don't care much for the crappy dhcp servers in generic home routers.