Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
A tidbit of news:

Scientists study undersea areas where Earth's crust is missing
Published: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 | 3:01 PM ET
Canadian Press: JUAN MANUEL PARDELLAS
SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE, Canary Islands (AP) - British scientists have embarked on a mission to study a huge area on the Atlantic seabed where the Earth's crust is mysteriously missing and instead is covered with dark green rock from deep inside the planet.
The 12-member expedition to take an unprecedented peek at Earth's mantle left the Canary Islands on Monday with a new high-tech vessel and a robotic device named Toby that will dig up rock samples at the site and film what it sees.
The main site - there is at least one other in roughly the same area and a third is suspected - is about three miles below the surface of the Atlantic and located about 2,000 nautical miles southwest of the Canaries.
It is part of a globe-spanning ridge of undersea volcanos, the kind of structure that forms when Atlantic tectonic plates separate and lava surges upward to fill the gap in the Earth's crust.
But that apparently did not happen this time. Where there should be a four-mile-thick layer of crust, there is instead that much mantle - the very dense, dark green rock that makes up the deep inner layer of the Earth.
Scientists have seen chunks of mantle that have been spewed up with lava, but never such a large, exposed stretch.

-
It is like a window into the interior of the Earth," Bramley Murton, a geophysicist who is taking part in the six-week mission, said Tuesday from the research ship RRS James Cook as it headed to the site, still five days away.
This exposed layer is irregularly shaped, about 30 miles long and perhaps that distance or more at its widest. It was detected about five years ago with sonar from a surface vessel.
There are two main theories as to what happened, Murton said: A fault ripped away huge chunks of crust, or in an area of crust-forming volcanoes, this area was mysteriously devoid of that outer material, Murton said.
Roger Searle of Durham University, one of the lead researchers, said the study aims to provide insight on everything from the chemistry of oceans to the mechanisms of how the Earth behaves under so much water.
The robotic device will land on the exposed mantle, deploy a drill, and dig into the rock to bring back samples.
The project is being financed by Britain's National Environment Research Council and the Department of trade and Industry's Large Scientific Facilities Fund.
It is like a window into the interior of the Earth," Bramley Murton, a geophysicist who is taking part in the six-week mission, said Tuesday from the research ship RRS James Cook as it headed to the site, still five days away.
This exposed layer is irregularly shaped, about 30 miles long and perhaps that distance or more at its widest. It was detected about five years ago with sonar from a surface vessel.
There are two main theories as to what happened, Murton said: A fault ripped away huge chunks of crust, or in an area of crust-forming volcanoes, this area was mysteriously devoid of that outer material, Murton said.
Roger Searle of Durham University, one of the lead researchers, said the study aims to provide insight on everything from the chemistry of oceans to the mechanisms of how the Earth behaves under so much water.
The robotic device will land on the exposed mantle, deploy a drill, and dig into the rock to bring back samples.
The project is being financed by Britain's National Environment Research Council and the Department of trade and Industry's Large Scientific Facilities Fund.
-
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/science/070306/g030606A.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: karrie

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Interesting. Wouldn't mind having a sample of that myself. Probably make nifty carving/sculpting.
Um, sparrow, just wondering why you put the article down twice in the same post. ??

I fixed that small problem...could happen to anyone.:wave:...#juan

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Interesting. Wouldn't mind having a sample of that myself. Probably make nifty carving/sculpting.
Um, sparrow, just wondering why you put the article down twice in the same post. ??
I didn't realize that I had done that. I am not very good at this kind of thing but I try to do my best. With time hopefully I will become as good as you guys. I am sure there must be a better way of doing it but I "copy and paste" the articles.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
They always said there was a terrestrial gateway to Hell. Guess they found it. I never thought it would be so big though.

RedGreen

Nominee Member
Dec 3, 2006
Nanaimo, BC
I wonder what would happen if there turns out to be valuable minerals or gems in the mantle samples. Would there be an effort to exploit this resource?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
As far as exploiting the area for minerals and whatnot goes, it is about 5000 meters under the surface (that's like 3 miles). Pressure at that depth is probably in the neighborhood of 300 atmospheres (1 atmosphere is 14 lbs/square inch) which would be about 4200 psi.. It would be extremely expensive to do any sort of mineral extraction.