alberta to ontario

lily

Feb 8, 2007
alberta
hi,im new here so sorry if ive posted on the wrong page !
we are moving from calgary to ontario in the summer and are wondering what the cheapest way to get there is.We think maybe UHAUL across ,as weve been quoted $12k for having our goods moved professionally.Does anyone know of any other firms apart fromUHAUL? weve bee told they arent that reliable with their trucks,can anyone shed any light on this? thnkx:wave:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Yes, wrong forum, but that's OK I'm sure a mod will put this in regional-ontario-alberta or something. In the meantime, DO NOT get a U-haul. If you can sell most of your stuff and by new or used when you get here that would help with the transportation. Furniture is bulky so you pay for the space you use on the truck plus loading and unloading. Ryder has smaller trucks they rent like u-haul and they do maitain them well.
Good luck with your move amd welcome to CC forums.

lily

Feb 8, 2007
alberta
hi thanks for that,ive looked into ryder and they dont do one way long distance anymore.
we are loathe to sell all our stuff as weve only been here 1yr(from the uk) so its all new !
looks like we might have to fork out the $12k
i could sell a kidney i suppose!!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
hi thanks for that,ive looked into ryder and they dont do one way long distance anymore.
we are loathe to sell all our stuff as weve only been here 1yr(from the uk) so its all new !
looks like we might have to fork out the $12k
i could sell a kidney i suppose!!

I'm sure that would cover it and then some. LOL

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i'm from the UK too. I havent bought any stuff yet. I think that was your mistake. stuff causes problems. I've moved so many times i hardly own anything

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I have heard of folk who actually buy a truck and a trailer and then sell it when they get to where they are going. Keep the size down to max. a regular drivers license will allow. Buy two if need be. Friends can help and then buy them a plane ticket home. Should come in under 12K. Can you get an old delivery truck that will just pass safety for 2500$.

lily

Feb 8, 2007
alberta
yes just thought of buying the truck ! ill look into it.
cant believe some of the stuff ive heard about uhaul and how unsafe their trucks are.
scary

garry580

May 6, 2007
hi lily my name is garry ihave a truck going to toronto on or about may 22 have 40 feet of space left. call me 780-352-8000 anytime.