Goodbye threads

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Ok ... we've had a rash of goodbye threads. From now on, these threads will be deleted. We hate to see folks leave, but we haven't figured out a way to lock the door from the inside yet. ;) We prefer ya just stay.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
Thank-ya...i am quite frankly tired of them.

The way you can is when they leave, ban them and mark their ISP code into your log...not sure if its different on a phpbb forum, but i know it works on an invision board forum.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
What does "good bye" mean?

People are moving? Well, one can access the net everywhere.

People are tired of forum? It's just temporarily. No need to say goodbye and come back next day.

People are forgetting English? Unlikely to happen.

In real life "good bye" has different meaning. In internet, it's completly different. If someone is losing it's computer, s/he may access internet from other sources, or may buy computer next day.

In internet, good bye has no meaning.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Seriously, could the administration give an explanation as to why goodbye threads are being deleted? I am not challenging this decision, but I do question it. Does this mean you cant post a goodbye thread, or is it deleted after a certain time?

Many people, like Haggis for example leave but obviously still check in now and then. Why should they not be able to see what people have said to them? If you want people to come back and join in again, one of the best incentives for them is to realize that the forum misses them.

Many threads start off on one idea and then quickly move into a set of tangents that keep the post alive. Why should these threads be lost just because they started off as a goodbye post?

When individuals come into a forum, they peruse many different aspects of it, one of which is the interaction between members of the forum. The fact that people leave a forum is not unusual- people come and go on every forum, but I thought this forum was quite unusual in the fact that people actually bother to post that they are leaving, sometimes giving their reasons. Goodbye threads are a way of them leaving a space to keep contact and to feel that they are still bonded to the forum.

I understand completely that one must censure any post that is hateful or bigoted or sexually explicit...etc.

Is the idea that you dont want people to come on and see that people are leaving? Personally, I dont understand why any post that is not offensive should be deleted. These are members' thoughts and contributions, even if they are their last posts, and I dont think people's contributions should be treated that glibly.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well my personal feeling is they might be seen a demoralizer for a forum. As people leave others tend to follow as the forum they once knew has changed and what not. "good bye" threads tend to string others with them. Well this is what I've seen in other forums. Plus 90% of thetime they are just tools for some people to get noticed and get a reaction from others. Attention grappers of a sort.