Canadian Content has a new infrastructure

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Dear Members,

I'm happy to announce that Canadian Content is upgrading it's complete network and therefore will be implementing brand new, faster, more stable and state-of-the-art infrastructure.

Today, I purchased and installed a new Intel Dual Xeon Processor server with a capacity of network resources reaching over 4 times what we had before. This means that we're currently migrating especially resource intensive processes to the new server, but keeping the current services in place.. atleast for the time being. We're now working on a load-balancing system, and you should have noticed a very high increase in speed of Canadian Content over the past few hours.

We're still working on it, so its not yet at it's peak speed and there are of course going to be bugs to work out. However, for the time being, sit back and relax and enjoy the new flexibility. You may notice that actual posting and editing posts is much faster now.

Above all of that, this is a large dent in my pocket. No worries about that for now, but to help the site grow and increase the membership and popularity, I request users do something to help out. This is nothing financial, but just putting a good word out for Canadian Content. This can include:

- Telling your friends and family about the site and it's various sections.
- Submitting CC to web directories with similar listings. Forum directories would be a cool place to start.. but if you don't know of any, CC-Tech, CC, CC-Weather, CC-News, CC-Freeware, CC-Software, CC-Search http://www.canadiancontent.net/addbox.php , CC-Directory, CC-Country Profiles http://www.canadiancontent.net/profiles/ , CC-Mobility http://www.canadiancontent.net/tech/mobile/ , all fit into their respecitve categories.
- Writing thumbs-up reviews of the site on places like Alexa http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?url=canadiancontent.net or StumbleUpon http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.canadiancontent.net/ or other reviewing sites would be great.
- Placing a signature with a link to CC in your profile in other forums that you are a member of. (Make sure the forum allows it).
- Linking to CC from your profiles on other sites.
- If you have a web site, why not add a link to CC?
- If you know of anybody who runs a Canadian site, ask them if they will add a link to CC from their site.

Any help on promoting the site is really appreciated.

Enjoy the new speeds :) I will!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Andem thats great, I have no idea what the first three paragraphs mean but I'd be happy to spread the word about CC. I see the word infrastructure and I think woopy their finally going to pave my road.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thank you, Andem! :D

I have noticed the increase in speed; it's wonderful! I want to thank you for how much you put into this site — Canadian Content has become, by far, my favourite Web site on the Internet. Thank you for your continued service to this community — we are grateful!

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Well Ill try to help out in any way possible except tell my family and friends--- I came on here to get away from them! Just Kidding!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'd be happy to send a copy of the CC logo and motto with my income tax? If I get them hooked maybe just maybe they won't audit me this year. Fat chance.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Another minor upgrade today which targetted specifically the additional growing pains CC is going through right now :) I suspect you'll find the site is exceptionally fast now :) Mucher faster, infact.

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, I know how Techs like their toys but could you please address the font problem and is there a way to find something in your new Style that is equivalent to "My Posts"? The small font is distressing on the eyes and many of us navigated by "My Posts".

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, I know how Techs like their toys but could you please address the font problem and is there a way to find something in your new Style that is equivalent to "My Posts"? The small font is distressing on the eyes and many of us navigated by "My Posts".

Until a latest posts is available go into your profile and list all subscriptions.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Hi, yeah, it's a fair bit faster, although, Andem, one question...

Hope this doesn't sound too personal BUT...

What's a German national with british heritage doing running a Canadian content community?. Just wondering. Very nice upgrade though, it doesn't look as "standardy" as before.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You can go to My Profile -> Edit Options to change the time. I believe the board is set for GMT.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think it's two hours off. I put in Central time to be in sync with Pacific.