New Parliament • New Debates

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
:arrow: Refreshing Canadian Content

Tomorrow, we cast our votes for the Thirty-ninth General Election. Some of the debates regarding this campaign period have been questionable in their nature, at best; allegations of scandal, corruption and theft on one hand, and an allegedly horrific hidden agenda on the other — not to mention a bountiful amount of personal attacks and insults, not only to our leaders, but to members of our own Forum here at Canadian Content.

Shortly after the election, Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean will make her cause to summon the House of Commons known through the Speech from the Throne, after which the Thirty-ninth Parliament will have commenced. Regardless of which party leads Her Majesty's next Government of Canada, the mandate, and the political face of our great nation, will have been renewed.

I would assert that we should take advantage of this occasion to renew our presence here on Canadian Content, and in Canada. We should take this opportunity to clean the slate, and to begin pushing our debates forward with a new precedent of facts and supportive evidence, and to avoid the kinds of insults that have been slung back and forth on various threads. I address this comment to lefties, righties and centrists alike — no side can be held blameless for some of the incivility that can be seen here. I, myself, can not be held blameless.

I have met some awesome people here, and I look forward to debating the issues with all of you; it doesn't matter, in that respect, which party leads our Government. I love this Forum and its members (even those who I often disagree with, lol!), and would assert that we need to ensure that the friendly, neighbourly and community-like feeling to this place are not lost in what could be another controversial Session of Parliament.

With a renewal of Parliament, so too should there be a renewal of Canadian Content.

All in favour? ;)

:!: Edit Corrected a typo.
:!: Edit Modified formatting.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
If you want to mimic the Parlement, perhaps a debate section is in order?

"Teams" representing various parties/groups could be formed and proper debate could be held.

But i say we hold debate in a more modern fashion. The first debate can be on moving our system forward and scrapping the monarchy. What do you think Five?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A "Formal Debate" section would certainly be an interesting idea.

I can bring such a thing before the Board of Directors and see what my honourable colleagues think, post-haste.

And that's going to be an interesting debate indeed, lol; you know where I stand on that. ;) Let's not open up the Monarchy debate on this thread, though, please.

:!: (Edit) P.S.

Oh em gee! I'm up to seventy hundred fifty posts! Eeeeeee!