Multiple Threads of Same Topic

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Please note that people starting multiple threads on the same topic will find the new threads moved or locked.

There are several topics, ie gay marriage, evolution, certain political issues, that are related. Every time a new thread is started the same old comments are regurgitated again and again. It gets annoying to those of us who aren't interested in re-arguing the same point over and over. Instead it makes more sense to add your comments to existing threads.

If you are unsure if a thread exists, simply use the search feature, type in the topic and find the one that fits.

As forum members it's up to each of us to make sure we're keeping the board as clean and efficient as it can be. Having the same topic in multiple threads does not serve this purpose.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Sounds fair to me. I have a question thou.

We obviously have a thread (...or two) on the topic of gay marriage which covers different viewpoints and the pros and cons on both sides of the argument. Now say there is a breaking news update. For example lets say Canada hypothetically has decided to backtrack on it's recent legalization of gay marriage. The news heading would be "Canada Undos Gay Marriage".

How would we know where to draw the fine line between posting this as a new thread within the "News" category or adding it to an already existing thread on gay marriage?

It's not a clear cut black and white issue.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Nascar_James said:
Sounds fair to me. I have a question thou.

We obviously have a thread (...or two) on the topic of gay marriage which covers different viewpoints and the pros and cons on both sides of the argument. Now say there is a breaking news update. For example lets say Canada hypothetically has decided to backtrack on it's recent legalization of gay marriage. The news heading would be "Canada Undos Gay Marriage".

How would we know where to draw the fine line between posting this as a new thread within the "News" category or adding it to an already existing thread on gay marriage?

It's not a clear cut black and white issue.

Nascar ... why are you playing the dumb blonde routine? That's my role around here so quit cutting in on my action. ;)

When a topic already has a thread, use it. Whatever the "breaking news" may be. It's pretty simple big guy. I'd draw a diagram but that would only confuse ya.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
I guess when looking at the big picture, yep it only makes sense to consolidate issues of the same topic into one thread. It makes it easier for someone who wants to engage in a particular discussion to locate the thread instead of having to decide between say 4 or 5 threads.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Nascar_James said:
I guess when looking at the big picture, yep it only makes sense to consolidate issues of the same topic into one thread. It makes it easier for someone who wants to engage in a particular discussion to locate the thread instead of having to decide between say 4 or 5 threads.

It certainly does, Nascar. I find I have to keep saying the same thing over and over and over again every time the topic of gay marriage comes up. It gets annoying.

I've had forum members ask me to do something about this very issue, so that's why we've recently made an effort to stop multiple threads. Prior to this we've just kinda gone with the flow and put up with it but now that we're getting complaints we're trying to resolve it.

Thanks.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Tip: rawisbetter! has made 2 threads on Gay marriage. And is wanting people to contact "gametalk".
He is becoming a troll...