CC Forum Setup

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Re: Happy to be part of this forum

Hey! PeaPod

What do you mean by "The Wizard's Work" ?

You mean the forum administrator?

The design of this board comes in a box, as modules. The administrator simply "personalized" it.
There are zillions of choices which a person can choose from. Zillions of templates like these forums are free.

It is the forum members who make this forum a "fashionable" and "enjoyable" place to be.
It has little to do with "Wizards".

Calm

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Paranoid Dot Calm said:
Hey! PeaPod

What do you mean by "The Wizard's Work" ?

You mean the forum administrator?

The design of this board comes in a box, as modules. The administrator simply "personalized" it.
There are zillions of choices which a person can choose from. Zillions of templates like these forums are free.

It is the forum members who make this forum a "fashionable" and "enjoyable" place to be.
It has little to do with "Wizards".

Calm

Actually this forum does NOT come out of the box. Firstly, it's based off of phpBB. A percentage is custom-coded by Canadian Content Interactive media. Secondly, it does not come with modules. phpBB does not support modules and does not have a modular design.

On the next note: It is not simply personalised. The whole entire layout and setup of this forum could never be found on any other web site. If it ever did, it would be breaking copyright and intellectual property laws internationally. I could have a nice settlement.

If you can find a forum which looks like this or can find anyone who would be able to construct these forums with 'freely available' templates or modules, by all means, post the site(s) here.

Sorry, but your post is really offending.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto

Oh! Andem

Don't read the brievity of my comments as being rude. It just saves typing trying to expand on comments.
The internet is cold.

There may be no "exact" copy of these forums out there in Mouse Land. But, they are a dime a dozen. What have you done with this set-up that makes it different than any other? It has no more functions than those that come in a box.

If your offended with the conversation, I won't continue.

Calm

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
RE: Happy to be part of this forum

There aren't a dime a dozen like this out there. Sure the basic features are the same or similar to other forum sites, but I won't get into coding as you obviously are not a coder.

The design? Out of the box? Can you find me a site that even looks like the style we have going here? I doubt it. I know because I designed it, coding it, implemented it and even had a thread going about it while it was being designed taking requests along the way.

No more functions than out of the box? How about the quick reply, recent topics, last 24 hours, user status notification, the front page setup. Do you know the processes of running a forum? Do you know the resources it uses? Do you know what type of hardware we're running? You don't, so how do you know how it works in the background?

You don't know everything, and you're obviously not an expert on system administration and coding.

To say that this forum design is "out of the box" is absurd and ignorant.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
RE: Happy to be part of this forum

Next thing you're probably going to say is the whole site is run on php-nuke or something :p

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto

I never said you should not be proud of what you got here.

I'm not talking about graphics.
I'm talking about functions.

How about the quick reply, recent topics, last 24 hours, user status notification, the front page setup.

You mentioned "Quick Reply" .... yes, that is different. But all the other functions that I see, are available elsewhere in Mouse Land.

Hardware? I was not discussing the mechanics of these forums.
I was commenting that it was the users who make these forums a success and not wizards.

What are phpbb forums?

Calm

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

What are phpbb forums?

If you don't know what phpbb is, then I see no need in continuing this conversation. You said it's "out of the box", and you're wrong in anyway you meant it.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Paranoid Dot Calm said:
I knew what it was. I was just asking you why phpBB is on these forums.
http://phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=586

Lets just drop it.

It all began with an innocent comment in reply to a PeaPod message.

Calm

These forums are based off of phpBB. And no, "Advanced Quick Reply Hack" is not on these forums.

It's dropped. But please don't assume you know everything.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Calm, maybe chris got the basics out of a box, but this is one of the best forums I have ever been to. Chris also puts alot of hours and work into it, and it shows. He has put alot of extras into this fourm, and there are many people here who appreciate that. I don't really understand all this techincial stuff, but I do understand a nice warm friendly place and this place has it 8) And that is not something you can get out of a box. :wink:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
OK guys ... enough with the fighting!! We couldn't care less if it came in a box, a can or divine intervention, all we care about is having a good place to visit. Stop the techie wars and give us some good gossip!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
LOL I may regret this but this conver made my heart go pitter patter LOL Andem? You are TOTALLY correct this place IS one of a kind! I keep brilliant people around me to run mine for me. (Im not to bright and when it comes to reading user manuals I suck. Im more the "Mamabear" type and watch my chicks grow ;)

(add spelling to sucking at too......)

Maybe someone can help me..........Ive clicked something and lost my "Recent Topics of Discussion" cant tell ya what the hell I did but theyre gone.

Thank you in advance
Tam

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
selfactivated, the issue in terms of the Recent Topics of Discussion section has been resolved (by an Administrator). To the point of this thread, though, I agree with you entirely, Andem — the layout of this site is much better than those on many other forums, and the subtle changes from the "template"-like design of other forums is quite noticeable. I myself am a programmer (although only to a high school level), so I quite appreciate the work that goes into developing a place such as this.