Is this site "Canadian Enough"?


Andem
#1
I've had a couple of reviews from various people after I relaunched the homepage and various people mentioned that it doesn't look Canadian enough. One even said it looked like "the conservative colours". Hrmpf. I added a Canadian flag to the top menubar, but is it enough? Any suggestions on improvements in that aspect?
 
Machjo
#2
Maybe you could have God Save the Queen, the Maple-Leaf Forever and O Canada in French and then English play continuously in consecutive sequence in the background. if the whole background were red and the pages white, that would make for a neat Canadian flag design. Maybe put the union jack in one corner somewhere with maple leafs dangling arond it on a red background. And also have the anthems mentioned above scroll along with the music along the bottom of the screen.

Sorry, I jsut had to have some fun here.
 
lone wolf
#3
What does Canadian look like? Alternating red-and-blue letters may get you into patent infringement stuff.
 
Machjo
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

What does Canadian look like? Alternating red-and-blue letters may get you into patent infringement stuff.

Maybe we can have pictures of lumberjacks pop up randomly on occasion. Or how about pictures of maple shacks on the main page?
 
lone wolf
#5
Lumberjacks.... Yeah, I suppose Free Trade and the softwood lumber thing has lots of them out of work.
 
Machjo
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Lumberjacks.... Yeah, I suppose Free Trade and the softwood lumber thing has lots of them out of work.

You had to politicize this page eh?

I could comment but then the thread would become political from here on in so I won't.
 
lone wolf
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

You had to politicize this page eh?

I could comment but then the thread would become political from here on in so I won't.

Canada is Canada. A blank white page - or a black spot for the polar bear nose?
 
Cliffy
+3
#8  Top Rated Post
There are too many foreigners on here that just don't understand how tolerant and accepting we are. I think they should be banned.
 
Machjo
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

There are too many foreigners on here that just don't understand how tolerant and accepting we are. I think they should be banned.

Agreed!

Proof of citizenship should be required for all members to participate.
 
darkbeaver
#10
I don't see any beer or joints so it definitely isn't Canadian enough. The exclusion of a portrait of our national animal is the stunning proof of that claim.
 
Cliffy
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

I don't see any beer or joints so it definitely isn't Canadian enough. The exclusion of a portrait of our national animal is the stunning proof of that claim.

Beav, even you don't hang a self portrait on your avatar. Ummm... which beaver were you talking about?
 
Johnnny
#12
andem i know your the moderator and stuff and you need peoples feedback to run the site in a positive way... But if someone says this site is too conservative then that should set of alarm bells saying that fool is a retard

what matters is that canadians make up the majority of the population here
 
In Between Man
#13
Its the healthy size of Canadian members that we have that makes this site "Canadian enough". Don't change anything.
 
Machjo
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayzView Post

Its the healthy size of Canadian members that we have that makes this site "Canadian enough". Don't change anything.

Not even pictures of maple shacks? Have you ever been to a maple shack. Yum yum I love maple syrup on a stick.
 
Cliffy
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Not even pictures of maple shacks? Have you ever been to a maple shack. Yum yum I love maple syrup on a stick.

That's an eastern thing. Out here we murder trees. BCs version of wilderness is a clear cut. And smoked salmon is our version of yummy.
 
In Between Man
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Not even pictures of maple shacks? Have you ever been to a maple shack. Yum yum I love maple syrup on a stick.

Maybe we could add some more Canadian themes (as in the colours you view the site in) for the members? Its something only individual members will see, not guests, but I think its really the only thing this site needs.
 
Machjo
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

That's an eastern thing. Out here we murder trees. BCs version of wilderness is a clear cut. And smoked salmon is our version of yummy.

Mmmm.... the fresh smell of pine!

Or how a bout a picture of a big bowl of poutine!

On second thought... yuk!
 
darkbeaver
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Beav, even you don't hang a self portrait on your avatar. Ummm... which beaver were you talking about?

A beaver avatar hardly would compare with a half front page portrait. Work on Andem, I will inquire after a French artist I used to smokeup with where a first class person might be had for six figures. There is nothing to be gained by frugality in this affair. Let me know how the negotiations with Andem proceed. We don't need lawyers just yet.
 
Johnnny
#19
Quote:

Out here we murder trees. BCs version of wilderness is a clear cut

they actually make a pretty penny out of tree genocide in BC. I feel bad for the ecosystem suffering there... Poor forestry practices and techniques has lead to the pine beetle outbreak

cut em all down and plant lodge poll pine, yeeehaw grandma
Last edited by Johnnny; May 17th, 2011 at 04:10 PM..
 
CDNBear
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by AndemView Post

I've had a couple of reviews from various people after I relaunched the homepage and various people mentioned that it doesn't look Canadian enough. One even said it looked like "the conservative colours". Hrmpf. I added a Canadian flag to the top menubar, but is it enough? Any suggestions on improvements in that aspect?

Poutine, you need to serve poutine, Peameal bacon, and have a Zamboni cruising through the threads.
 
In Between Man
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Poutine, you need to serve poutine, Peameal bacon, and have a Zamboni cruising through the threads.

 
Johnnny
#22
to quote the late berny mac in one of those house party movies....

"**** em, ****em"
 
damngrumpy
#23
First we should not kick out the foreigners because they don't understand how tolerant we are.
We can educate them as best we can to be more tolerant.
The idea it is too conservative is not correct either, I read all kinds of stuff that is silly right wing
nonsense, only to be outdone at times by verses and visions of the loony left. If nothing else
some is needed for comic relief. There are times when some wonder about some of my posts,
what the hell is trying to say?
We are a dysfunctional family on here, and there is a lot of room for different opinions, how long
do you think this would last if we were all left or right or even at times reasonable?
The other question is how the hell could you make a Canadian Board with international members
more Canadian? Leave it alone. eh.
That's it, everyone has to end every thought with the word eh if they are Canadian that way we
will know if it a Canadian thought as opposed to a foreign thought. That can't be too difficult eh?
 
Machjo
#24
Yeah but imagine having to type in 'eh' at the end of every sentence 'eh'. How about an automatic program tht replaces all full stops and question marks with 'eh' eh?
 
SLM
#25
So, is it maybe the name of the site that's throwing people off as to whether it's Canadian or not? Lol.

Personally, I like the colour scheme. I find it serene, I've never been a fan of a busy background as I find it can be distracting.

I'll second Alleywayzalwayz suggestion about maybe adding a few different Canadian "themes" for individual setting preferences. Perhaps asking the members to submit suggestions for what those themes might be?

My two cents, for what it's worth.
 
ironsides
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

There are too many foreigners on here that just don't understand how tolerant and accepting we are. I think they should be banned.

Here ya go what more proof do you need?



The timezone in Ironsides is America/Pangnirtung
Sunrise at 04:41 and Sunset at 19:37. It's light


Latitude. 45.066822027, Longitude. -78.182828071

Weather near Ironsides; Report from Bancroft Automatic Weather Reporting System, 100.4km away
Weather :
Temperature: 13C / 55.4F
Wind: 9.2km/h East/Northeast
Cloud:




 
damngrumpy
#27
Maybe we should lobby government to ensure that eh is an official punctuation at the
end of every sentence that way the computers and other devices will automatically do
it for us eh?
 
YukonJack
#28
This forum is definitely British Columbian enough.
 
SLM
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Maybe we should lobby government to ensure that eh is an official punctuation at the
end of every sentence that way the computers and other devices will automatically do
it for us eh?

Are you kidding? I have to fight with Microsoft word just to spell colour with a "u".
 
lone wolf
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

Here ya go what more proof do you need?



The timezone in Ironsides is America/Pangnirtung
Sunrise at 04:41 and Sunset at 19:37. It's light


Latitude. 45.066822027, Longitude. -78.182828071

Weather near Ironsides; Report from Bancroft Automatic Weather Reporting System, 100.4km away
Weather :
Temperature: 13C / 55.4F
Wind: 9.2km/h East/Northeast
Cloud:




Funny..... I'da thought you'd be in Eastern....
 
no new posts