darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thirty-Two States are Now Officially Bankrupt
$37.8 Billion Borrowed From US Treasury To Fund Unemployment Insurance

Global Research, May 23, 2010
Zero Hedge - 2010-05-21

Courtesy of Economic Policy Journal we now know that the majority of American states are currently insolvent, and that the US Treasury has been conducting a shadow bailout of at least 32 US states. Over 60% of Americans receiving state unemployment benefits are getting these directly from the US government, as 32 states have now borrowed $37.8 billion from Uncle Sam to fund unemployment insurance. The states in most dire condition, are, not unexpectedly, the unholy trifecta of California ($6.9 billion borrowed), Michigan ($3.9 billion), and New York ($3.2 billion). With this form of shadow bailout occurring, one can only wonder how many other shadow programs are currently in operation to fund states under the table with federal money.The full list of America's 32 insolvent states is below, sorted in order of bankruptedness.

California
$6,900
Michigan
New York
Penn.
Ohio
Illinois
N.C.
Indiana
New Jersey
Florida
Wisconsin
Texas
S.C.
Kentucky
Missouri
Connecticut
Minnesota
Georgia
Nevada
Mass.
Virginia
Arkansas
Alabama
Colorado
R.I.
Idaho
Maryland
Kansas
Vermont
S.D.
Tennessee
Virgin Islands
Delaware

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Steps to create "wealth."

1. Deficit finance
2. Print money
3. Raise interest rates when inflation as a result of step 2 occurs
4. Increased rates encourage investors to buy government bonds
5. Repeat Step 1.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Looks like a win win for the rich.

Inflation is very much a regressive tax since the rich can hedge, the poor have nothing to hedge, so they're the ones who really get beaten up with inflation.

Same with high interest rates. The rich lend at higher rates and the poor pay at higher rates.

It's ironic that it's usually the left, you know, those who are so concerned about the well-being of the poor, who support inflation.

Though granted at least the left is honest about it. The right pretends to oppose inflation and still causes it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hmmm... just to throw another fun conspiracy theory out there:

Maybe the Taliban is printing US dollars to fund its attacks on the US, which would mean the US is unwittingly funding the Taliban.

Actually, that would be a brilliant tactic as it would kill two birds with one stone: it would provide funding for the Taliban while watering down US purchasing power which would mean a weaker ability to fund its military.

Honestly, if the Taliban is not involved in this already after all these years, then it really is a stupid force to reckon with.

If I were the Taliban, I'd be printing US dollars, British pounds, Canadian dollars, any money my enemy produces.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Spend it of course... on gold. You can live with the resulting inflation.

My printing machine's revving up as I type.:lol:

Gold, eh?

Considering that each nations keeps a careful eye on their own (and others) money supply, your scenario will not happen.

You brought up the Weimar Republic. You heard the tales of needing a sack of cash to buy a loaf of bread. Does it really make sense to you that a government can print up billions or trillions of money and no one will notice?

Hmmm... just to throw another fun conspiracy theory out there:

Maybe the Taliban is printing US dollars to fund its attacks on the US, which would mean the US is unwittingly funding the Taliban.

Actually, that would be a brilliant tactic as it would kill two birds with one stone: it would provide funding for the Taliban while watering down US purchasing power which would mean a weaker ability to fund its military.

The Nazis tried doing that with Brit Pounds Sterling... It almost worked.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Gold, eh?

Considering that each nations keeps a careful eye on their own (and others) money supply, your scenario will not happen.

You brought up the Weimar Republic. You heard the tales of needing a sack of cash to buy a loaf of bread. Does it really make sense to you that a government can print up billions or trillions of money and no one will notice?

The Nazis tried doing that with Brit Pounds Sterling... It almost worked.

Hey, look at it this way:

If the government has a debt of one trillion dollars, then to inflate the currency until the minimum wage is one million dollars an hour, suddenly our debt ain't so big anymore... though of course there may be fear of revolution or civil war, but that's a minor issue, really:p

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You gotta wonder how the feds are financing this. The money has to come from somewhere.
Print it out at will since it's fiat money, then kick back watch prices skyrocket from the inflated monetary system and call it " economic growth" until consumer prices go nuts and everyone is broke from buying a pack of balogna and a loaf of bread.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But now if I'm the only one printing the money, I'd be rich long before inflation would really be out of control. But no worries, I'd have inflation soaring within a year.