Big Tobacco Wins With Cigarette Replacement

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Big Tobacco Wins With Cigarette Replacement

I was watching 60 Minutes http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6362540n&tag=contentMain;contentAux

They were talking about a smokeless cigarette called Snus and the tobacco companies are marketing this product to smokers that have no smoking bylaws in the cities and towns where they live.

You place this Snus between your lip and your teeth and the nicotine is absorbed through the skin into the blood vessels and this no chewing and spitting is requires and this is supposed to last up to thirty minutes.

http://www.smoke-free.ca/Filtertips-6/snus.htm

"Snus is:a form of cured and cooked tobacco mixed with salt, flavourings and preservatives which has lower levels of cancer-causing nitrosamines than other oral tobaccos"

"Packaged in loose form or in tea-bag style portions, each of which delivers about the same level of nicotine to a user as a single cigarette”

They interviewed a scientist in Norway where this product was developed and he said that cancer rates related to cigarette products have gone down.

With this breakthrough cigarettes will be a thing of the past and the tobacco companies win.

Tobacco farmers can grow their crops again and everyone lives happily ever after but knowing the fanatical anti-smokers they will outlaw putting anything in your mouth, which means we will all die of starvation.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What century was this documentary filmed. Snus has been around for a hundred years or more. It causes gum disease and you do have to spit it out. Just watch a baseball game.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually snuff is the tobacco product you snort like cocaine. Chewing or "smokeless" tobacco is the other one.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Actually snuff is the tobacco product you snort like cocaine. Chewing or "smokeless" tobacco is the other one.
You are right. To a point Cliff is too but the difference between snuff and snus is as you say. Baseball players use Chewing tobacco or Tobacco Plug.
Here is the def. of Snus:
a preparation of tobacco, either powdered and taken into the nostrils by inhalation or ground and placed between the cheek and gum.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe they could start a needle exchange for nicotine addicts. Save having all that smelly smoke around.
lol. The trouble with that idea is that the amount of nicotene needed to kill a human is infinitesmal (60 mg).

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Ya, that's how stupid this idea is. Who would start hauling on one of those fake cigarette thingies? Oh dear, wait a second. There are lots of people that put a concentrated form of tobacco, get ready for this, right in there f^cking mouths. Oh barf. I used to smoke and really that is bad enough but chewing tobacco is down right horrible. So I guess people will do anything the adverts tell them to do.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Maybe they could start a needle exchange for nicotine addicts. Save having all that smelly smoke around.
It is sooo gross. I had several customers yesterday that I could easily tell were smokers. Ugh! They have no idea (or they don't care) how bad they smell. Even after our Easter dinner last night, my daughter-in-law's brother kept popping out for a smoke and everytime he came back in the house he just stunk. It's not a forever odour and it's not unbearable. It's just unpleasant.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Ya, that's how stupid this idea is. Who would start hauling on one of those fake cigarette thingies? Oh dear, wait a second. There are lots of people that put a concentrated form of tobacco, get ready for this, right in there f^cking mouths. Oh barf. I used to smoke and really that is bad enough but chewing tobacco is down right horrible. So I guess people will do anything the adverts tell them to do.
I once dated a cop (not the one I married) that chewed (as he called it: snus) and he would take a bit of that crap and tuck it inside his cheek. Finished me. His teeth always looked like they needed brushing and I never wanted him too close because all I could think of was that crap in his mouth and I was a smoker at the time!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
A little health info on snus. It may be safer than smoking but it is not without some side effects.

Snus Kills, Says Swedish Study

Of course, people could always refrain from putting any useless and potentially dangerous products into their systems. But that might require a level of intelligence beyond many people.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Don't have time to look. Does that mean you don't see the smoke or you don't puff on it like a cigarette?

It is vapor nicotine you are inhaling instead of smoke. I've seen them at my local liquor store for $50.

Here, read this...
Electronic Cigarettes have many great advantages.

The electronic cigarette or e-cigarette works in a different fashion that traditional tobacco smoking. Traditional cigarettes require a flame or heat source to burn the tobacco. This ignition and combustion of the tobacco will result in the smoke that users will inhale. The inhalation of smoke from combustion from any source is dangerous, when you add in the thousands of chemicals and proven carcinogens that are naturally found in tobacco, it is deadly. Instead of relying on combustion and igniting a substance into smoke, the electric cigarette works by vaporizing a liquid nicotine based solution into a vapor. Because the E Cig will produce vapor instead of actual smoke, the electronic cigarette does not fall into those items that are included in "No Smoking Bans". So it may look like you are smoking but in reality you are "vaping". So with the electronic cigarette you can now smoke inside the bar, restaurant, office, or even on a plane.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
It is vapor nicotine you are inhaling instead of smoke. I've seen them at my local liquor store for $50.

Here, read this...
Electronic Cigarettes have many great advantages.

The electronic cigarette or e-cigarette works in a different fashion that traditional tobacco smoking. Traditional cigarettes require a flame or heat source to burn the tobacco. This ignition and combustion of the tobacco will result in the smoke that users will inhale. The inhalation of smoke from combustion from any source is dangerous, when you add in the thousands of chemicals and proven carcinogens that are naturally found in tobacco, it is deadly. Instead of relying on combustion and igniting a substance into smoke, the electric cigarette works by vaporizing a liquid nicotine based solution into a vapor. Because the E Cig will produce vapor instead of actual smoke, the electronic cigarette does not fall into those items that are included in "No Smoking Bans". So it may look like you are smoking but in reality you are "vaping". So with the electronic cigarette you can now smoke inside the bar, restaurant, office, or even on a plane.
Sounds like the least bad way to get your nicotine fix.

IMO, consuming nicotine should be a personal choice. As long as the vapors don't affect anyone else then its your concern, not mine.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sounds like the least bad way to get your nicotine fix.

IMO, consuming nicotine should be a personal choice. As long as the vapors don't affect anyone else then its your concern, not mine.
Now that's the part I was wondering about - vapors. So people smoke their electronic cigarette, and they breathe out. What are they breathing out?? It is just the same junk as there is from a cigarette out there now but we cannot see or smell it? If that's how it works, then it's even more dangerous because we'll have no idea we're breathing it.
$50.00 for what - a carton, a pack, or do you just keep on smoking that same electronic smoke until it runs out of nicotine?
nic·o·tine
(nik
ÆÃ tnÅ, -tin, nikÅÃ tnÆ), n.
Chem.
a colorless, oily, water-soluble, highly toxic, liquid alkaloid, C10H14N2, found in tobacco and valued as an insecticide.