Locally Built Cars And Trucks

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Canada car plants are going under. Massive unemployment; Government is giving away money for businesses. So why are they not building cars?

When I was in high school years ago our class built a car from scratch from the chassis up it took a while because we did it when there was spare time but if you get a group of full-time workers it could be done in a lot less time.

If the carmakers did this people would buy it especially if it is a low gas consuming car or a hybrid.

You don’t need assembly lines to build cars they were built individually before Henry Ford put up his plants. They can do the same now

There are out of work car designers, fabricators, engineers so getting a group of people to build a 2 or 3 of cars a month is possible.

Car parts can be produced locally.

This means each province can have carmakers since the government wants less unemployment and are willing to fund it then it everybody wins

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Canada car plants are going under. Massive unemployment; Government is giving away money for businesses. So why are they not building cars?

When I was in high school years ago our class built a car from scratch from the chassis up it took a while because we did it when there was spare time but if you get a group of full-time workers it could be done in a lot less time.

If the carmakers did this people would buy it especially if it is a low gas consuming car or a hybrid.

You don’t need assembly lines to build cars they were built individually before Henry Ford put up his plants. They can do the same now

There are out of work car designers, fabricators, engineers so getting a group of people to build a 2 or 3 of cars a month is possible.

This means each province can have carmakers since the government wants less unemployment and are willing to fund it then it everybody wins

Assembly lines and quality control are essential components of cost effective manufacture of safe, reliable affordable vehicles. Hand built machines would be a nightmare of litigation if they ever got to the road. Two or three a month would never begin to cover the cost of even the materials. You're were very Liberal with reality in your suggestion.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

That's funny.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Correction, Liberalman. UNIONIZED car plants are going under.

When the UNIONIZED assembly line workers realize that their skills DO NOT entitle them for a pay any higher than burger-flipping teenagers, and the EARNED wages will be closer to reality, maybe then Canadian car/truck plants can be saved and remain open for operation.

Producing a quality product would also help.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We won't have to worry about shoddily built North American cars much longer I'm guessing, soon enough we'll have a flood of Chinese death traps to get us around.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
We won't have to worry about shoddily built North American cars much longer I'm guessing, soon enough we'll have a flood of Chinese death traps to get us around.

That is the insight right there. There are plenty of cheap cars to be had, if we would simply lower our safety regulations. Whose opposed to getting a steering column crushing their skull in an accident, really?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Correction, Liberalman. UNIONIZED car plants are going under.

When the UNIONIZED assembly line workers realize that their skills DO NOT entitle them for a pay any higher than burger-flipping teenagers, and the EARNED wages will be closer to reality, maybe then Canadian car/truck plants can be saved and remain open for operation.

Producing a quality product would also help.

A quality product? Are you stupid? Where's the profit in that?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I recently purchased a rickshaw, now I need someone to pull me around in it. Beaver, are you looking for a job?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Chinese cars are already built to EU standards. What you failed to inform the readers with was the fact that the shoddy stuff from China is built to western contracted specifications.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Chinese cars are already built to EU standards. What you failed to inform the readers with was the fact that the shoddy stuff from China is built to western contracted specifications.

Do the specifications dictate the type or quality of components used? I think not.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They certainly do DurkaDurka. You think not at all.:lol:

and you know this from your extensive knowledge of the chinese auto industry or their industry in general?

Wheels.ca - Chinese car quality falls short, say luxury automakers - Canada's Most Trusted Auto Resource
"SHANGHAI–Local brands took more than a quarter of China's passenger car market last month but foreign executives were mixed in their assessment of the competitive threat, saying quality standards still fell far short of globally acceptable levels."

"Nissan Motor Co senior vice-president Andy Palmer said he had seen a vast improvement in the craftsmanship of Chinese cars from seven years ago when the market – now the world's biggest – was just starting to emerge. A sizeable distance still remained, but he warned against writing off the scope for further improvement."

Crash Course in Quality for Chinese Car - WSJ.com

"MOSCOW -- Add another product to the list of Chinese exports whose safety is being called into question: cars.
In one of the few crash-tests to date of a Chinese-made vehicle outside China, a Chery Amulet sedan's front end folded like a concertina in a recent trial here.
The Russian car magazine that organized the test said it was one of the worst performances ever and called upon Chery Automobile Co. to withdraw the car from the market. A clip of the crash test posted on Google Inc.'s video-sharing service YouTube has drawn almost 163,000 viewers."

Another Chinese car flunks German crash test | Reuters

"STUTTGART, Germany (Reuters) - A mid-range sedan developed for the European market by Chinese carmaker Brilliance scored only one out of a possible five stars in a crash test, German auto association ADAC said on Thursday.
"In the event of a side crash, the strain on the driver's chest and abdominal area would be so high that a person would have little chance of surviving in a real accident," it said of test results for the Brilliance BS6 model."

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
A clip of the crash test posted on Google Inc.'s video-sharing service YouTube has drawn almost 163,000 viewers."

That's what I was eluding too. A friend of mine who is a crash test engineer showed the video to me for the laughs. Apparently if you get hit by a Chinese car, it is much worse as well. The regulations involving safety of struck pedestrians are non-existent but European car makers have been implementing them to reduce the costs of lawsuits of their customers, they are only as high as the two star rating when he mentioned it to me, but the Chinese manufacturers haven't even begun.