Why not amalgamate the auto industry?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I was thinking, since the auto industry has obviously become too big to sustain itself, why not let the US deal with it, not bail them out on the Canadian side, let them close their plants on the Canadian side and move back to the US, and negotiate a free movement of labour agreement with the US?

ON the surface it might appear as if Canada would be losing jobs, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate since Canadians would then be free to compete for jobs on the US free market. The US side would be happy too because they'd get the big 3 to themselves.

In exchange for this, the 4 billion dollars going to the auto industry could go towards retraining workers instead (just this evening Harper mentioned that there are labour shortages in some key industries still), with these laid off workers then being albe to get the skills to get a job not just anywhere in Canada, but anywhere in North America. This would also help Canadian industries to grow by giving them access to a larger pool of skilled US workers too, which would allow Canada to do what Canada does best, whatever industries those might be, and the US could do what the US does best.

Just this evening, Harper mentioned that Canada will continue to provide for the US' energy needs in the foreseeable future. So why not retrain workers in alternative energy. This could also attract new industries in that field, considering that Canada has plenty of land to build these industries on.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If GM is broke it is probably partly due to opening 4 new plants in China over the last few years. Why would they care if the US and CND plants closed for good, they only service the North American. They make a larger profit by making vehicles in plants outside the two countries and then importing them.
BTW the oil companies aren't going to allow anything to disrupt the oil industry as it is right now.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If GM is broke it is probably partly due to opening 4 new plants in China over the last few years. Why would they care if the US and CND plants closed for good, they only service the North American. They make a larger profit by making vehicles in plants outside the two countries and then importing them.
BTW the oil companies aren't going to allow anything to disrupt the oil industry as it is right now.

Then let the oil industry subsidize GM.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Bad loans are really Bail outs..

A merger will happen eventually..These companies have already amalgamated a long time ago...Call it what you will, but these companies don't compete as much as they all work together...The auto industry is a greedy 3 headed beast...This economic crisis' was fabricated to allow government to give their buddies money..Pay off bad loans!.On falsly inflated markets...1 Big game!....But of course common people know nothing about economics,,so these big economists can get away with all their fraud ,theft, and greed.All under the label "Economic crisis'".Politicians and big business leaders Use our ignorance of economics , to create a crisis' ..then use the newly created digital money to pay off their interests.....or Whatever,,,Ol' business practises are dying and being bought out by new hi tech /i.t/computer companies...Things are changing for the better ..

Green/technology will save our country .If we can pry the power outta the Ol greedy self interested leaders cold dead hands!...New ways will replace the old..The ol ways can be updated and modified..If they are still willingly to learn!

The new year will uncover many bad business practises...People are catching on!

Those who have the money and education to properly utilize the beneifits of the computer will find a new amazing world in cyberspace..The rest will have the option to go more green!

It is Time for us to start building self sustaining bio-sphere's everywhere (newfoundland,Alberta)..So we can all live in peace!.With no worries...Bubbles ..in Bubbles in bubbles.lol.Use the technology now then if all hell breaks loose, we have the technological know how to leave, and go ruin (I mean Inhabit)another planet!....lol..It is not too late to have the best of both worlds...Explore the universe ,other planets ,other possible worlds, and still be home in time for supper!...This is my dream!..lol

Green/technology!

Having said all that....It would seem people who believe in democracy and freedom are in the minority!..Hard to hear them over all the payed advertising and bought out air time!..Thankfully ,so far ,this hasnt overly affected cyberspace..Not yet anyway!...Well not as much as other media's yet!..Hope ol' business leaders and politicians don't catch on to quick! lol..Education reform is greatly needed!

A good loan is always repayed ..Bad loaning practises are BAIL-OUTS..No matter how you word it!..The time is now..Ol failing businesses will either be bought out by new giants, or fade into the past..All for the better..If we believe and work toward a prosperous future that allows us all to move positively forward!
We will live in peace ..If it is simply ,survival of the fittest,We all fail.!...

Green/technology

Thanks for reading my spew...

It will be a Happy new year..

If you believe and make it so!

B.Greenfish66

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Many businesses found that they couldn't make much money because of Bush's recession. They reduced prices by 40 to 50 to 70 % in their after Christmas sales and this reduced their unsold volume.

If the auto makers want to sell their unsold cars, all they need do is to reduce their prices by the same margins.

Bailouts are totally unecessary.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If the bailouts are there, 'they' will come, along with many others who smell money
handouts.

Yep, just let the market place take care of it, when I'm in the market for another vehicle (soon) and can't find one to buy I'll panic then, but sure as hell aren't paying good tax dollars to bail out companies with C.E.O.s who are hauling in huge "performance" bonuses for non performance. I've been strictly loyal to American built cars and trucks all my life, but as far as I'm concerned If Japan or Korea or Sweden can provide me with an acceptable vehicle at an acceptable price, that's what I'm going to buy. Money is getting too scarce for me to be subsidizing multi million $ rip off artists.