Is ANYTHING from China above suspicion?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Be cautious of hair bands at open markets around the city too – they are probably from China since they are purchased in bulk very very cheap !!!! Take a good look before buying hair bands in future – specially like the following kind…..

These Hair bands were made from used condoms and threads. That was so disgusting, I would not want to use them!!

[IMAGE]

BEIJING (AFP) - Used condoms are being recycled into hair bands in southern China threatening to spread sexually-transmittable diseases they were originally meant to prevent, state media reported Tuesday

In the latest example of potentially harmful Chinese-made products, rubber hair bands have been found in local markets and beauty salons in Dongguan and Guangzhou cities in southern Guangdong province, China Daily newspaper said.

'These cheap and colorful rubber bands and hair ties sell well ..... threatening the health of local people,' it said.
Despite being recycled, the hair bands could still contain bacteria and viruses, it said.

'People could be infected with AIDS, (genital) warts or other diseases if they hold the rubber bands or strings in their mouths while waving their hair into plaits or buns,' the paper quoted a local dermatologist who gave only his surname, Dong, as saying. A bag of ten of the recycled bands sells for just 25 s
en (three cents), much cheaper than others on the market, accounting for their popularity, the paper said.

A government official was quoted as saying recycling condoms was illegal. China 's manufacturing industry has been repeatedly tarnished this year by a string of scandals involving shoddy or dangerous goods made for both domestic and foreign markets.

In response, it launched a public relations blitz this summer aimed at playing up efforts to strengthen monitoring systems.

_.___

Check your kids hair bands and make sure they do not put them in their mouth while trying to plait or tie their hair

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
>> "Is ANYTHING from China above suspicion?"

No.

Personally, I try to avoid purchasing anything made in China. However, it is getting more difficult. To make matters more ambiguous, I have noticed many products no longer indicate where they are made; they simply state something like, "Imported by YYY Company, Toronto, Ont."

For some items, I make a special effort to find out where they are made and avoid Chinese products. For example, hand tools. I am a bit of a tool snob, so only buy tools made in North America or Europe. I don't want to be using, say, a crescent wrench and have it snap in half because it was made with cheap steel.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Actually their exports in terms of quality are getting better from what I have that says `Made in China` and I am extremely fussy.
rgs

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
OK, that's just stupid. It's disgusting, but you aren't going to get AIDS from it. Anyone who knows anything about that virus would know that's a silly statement.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Side note:

The old assumption was that new manufacturing nations would build low tech, low grade items.

Low grade is true, but has to do more with experience (which will catch up fairly quickly) and China is looking to outproduce us in high tech goods.

Part of this is our own stupidity. I cant' count the number of times I've seen leaders tell us we will dominate the high tech jobs of the 21st century..then not invest at all in them.

If you want high tech jobs, how about invest in education? The people taking our low tech jobs are, so soon they will have the low tech and high tech jobs and we'll have squat.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Things from China that would be above suspicion would probably be household items that are not electrical(fire hazard), not consumed, and not expensive.

So, spatulas. Spatulas are above suspicion.

Food, like those weird imported fish you see at some grocers is suspicious.
Electrical items can cause a fire if not up to snuff, therefore they're suspicious.
China is estimated to have 1000 spies here in Canada, which is more than any other country outside of China. Sadly, people are suspicious.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They are in all the learning institutes University of a Billion Chinese (UBC), Billion Chinese in Training (BCIT) Sino Fraser University (SFU) and here in my city it's University of Redchina (U of R) In Saskatoon it's U of Saszechuan etc etc etc.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They are in all the learning institutes University of a Billion Chinese (UBC), Billion Chinese in Training (BCIT) Sino Fraser University (SFU) and here in my city it's University of Redchina (U of R) In Saskatoon it's U of Saszechuan etc etc etc.

One thing about Chinese, you won't outsmart them. When I was in school with Chinese kids, invariably the Chinese kid was at top of the class. They can run an abacus faster than you or I could run a Rolex calculator.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
All Chinese are brilliant spies?

Or do you mean, the ones that get to come to Canada for an education are smart.
If you think all Chinese people are brilliant, you might want to go visit the country and learn something.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Phillipines have their spies set in up in Tim's. I'm waiting for one of them to work up the kahunies to invent a mango muffin. The fruit explosion is getting boring.