Why free trade and a carbon tax should go hand in hand.

Machjo
Dairy industry getting help to compete, not compensation, for EU trade deal - Politics - CBC News

The government wants to help the dairy industry adjust to free trade in CETA by providing some funding.

I think shifting to a carbon tax would be a solution.

There are many differences between a carbon tax and a tariff. One difference in international trade is as follows.

Wheras tariffs can harm the environment by encouraging Montreal to trade with Vancouver instead of NYC or Seattle with NYC instead of Vancouver, a carbon tax encourages localization. So it would encourage Montreal to trade more with NYC and Seatle with Vancouver for example. This in turn not only helps the environment but local business too.

Another difference us that a tariff stops at the border with minimal effect internally. A carbon tax would encourage Vancouver to trade more with Victoria BC rather than Halifax, and Halifax to trade more with cities in the Naritimes rather than Vancouver. A tariff would gave no effect on internal trade.

So while tariffs promote inefficiencies, a carbon tax promotes efficiencies.

I think Canada and the EU should promote free trade and carbon taxes. The best product could still be exported at the vest price, but only after calculating the impact on resources into the cost.

Another difference is that whereas tariffs are beggar thy neighbour, carbon taxes are reciprocal. Carbon taxes try to keep imports out, but a carbon tax raises the cost both on long distance imports and exports, so it's more fair. It's just based on resources consumed.

petros
Huh?

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Huh?

What part did you not understand? A carbon tax makes long-distance transportation more expensive. If other taxes are then lowered, that just exacerbates the cost difference between local and import, no?

petros
+1
Everything in your big bong theory.

Machjo

Everything in your big bong theory.

Hmmm... Oh well.

taxslave
How much carbon do cows produce and how much per ton do you propose charging for milk?

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

How much carbon do cows produce and how much per ton do you propose charging for milk?

Animal products and biproducts should be taxed too along with extracted non-rebewable resources, but taxed at on the breeder end. However, scrap all business taxes and income taxes, maybe introduce a moderate wealth tax, and scrap any value added tax like the GST and HST and unilaterally scrap all tariffs.

darkbeaver
Free and tax kinda clash don't they?

Machjo
Maybe a 1/3 tax on gross profit on non-rebewable resource extracting and animal husbandry businesses.

darkbeaver
You'll get nothing from me I refuse to report my gross earnings it 's none of your buzziness you Trotskyite.

petros
+2
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Maybe a 1/3 tax on gross profit on non-rebewable resource extracting and animal husbandry businesses.

Oil is recyclable.

It's what your blue bin is made of.

darkbeaver
Mutiples of recycle cycles, oil rules, the very blood of developeing planets.

Texas Tea, Saint Oil

Johnnny
Tax cow facts. Hell tax your own farts if you want to practice what you preach....

darkbeaver
You are not going to tax me for my carbon,you can take my secret weapon outta my cold dead paws. I recounted.

forelegs, two off, propellants, aquatic mamal, good to eat as well, they say

petros
+1
Hydrof-ckingcarbon.

darkbeaver

Hydrof-ckingcarbon.

The God Hydrof-ckingcarbon, it's Majesty Hydrof-ckingcarbon,

Our lord of hot water.

Jesus was annointed with oil. Oil is a gift frum God.

petros
Amen

darkbeaver
Someday you will be oil.

10larry
+1
If your talking dairy surely you jest, they enjoy supply management like no other industry on the globe, they have their MP on speed dial just in case some little thing disquites them. Talking carbon around livestock stake holders is a bad idea, cap and trade methane would not plz any businessman dealing in livestock.
Oddly wallonias' beef with ceta was beef and dairy, appears brussels bent enough to satify their concerns and here the price of milk will simply soar yet again.

petros
Lipids. It's just lipids. 100% natural.

darkbeaver
+1
The milk racket, shattafukup it's good for you.

petros
Yup. Someday it will be fossil fuel from lipids.

Machjo
I was referring mainly to taxing the fossel fuels needed to transport food intercontinental or even transcontinental.

taxslave
+1

1/3 tax on gross would put almost any business in to bankruptcy.

I was referring mainly to taxing the fossel fuels needed to transport food intercontinental or even transcontinental.

A far better plan would be to tax the fossil fuels used to send stupid politicians and incompetent bureaucraps all over the world to meetings. Double tax on private jets going to anti oil parties.

Machjo

Not necessarily if you scrap all other taxes other than on non-rebewable resourse extraction, animal husbandry, and tobacco, alcohol, gambling and other sin taxes, and a moderate wealth tax.

With all other taxes scrapped, people would have the money to pay the extra cost... If they want to.

For example, imagine you pay no income tax. That means you have lots of money to spend. Now imagine agricultural businesses pay no taxes. That would mean fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, etc. would be cheap as dirt.

Now the cost of meat would skyrocket along with food from afar due to the extra cost of gas. However, with your extra cash you gain from no income tax and the cheap food otherwise, you could easily afford the meat if you really want it.

taxslave
Just get a status card. No tax. Like getting a 30% raise.

Machjo

A far better plan would be to tax the fossil fuels used to send stupid politicians and incompetent bureaucraps all over the world to meetings. Double tax on private jets going to anti oil parties.

Wouldn't a non-renewable resource tax do just that? And don't they have email and Skype?

Just get a status card. No tax. Like getting a 30% raise.

Why not shift taxes for everyone?

mentalfloss
Free trade is justified when both sides to the deal can agree on their humanitarian policies and how the market would naturally affect their respective societies.

For example, if the US and Canada are truly alright with Mexico underpaying their workers and taking away manufacturing jobs from the US and Canada because of that.

DaSleeper
Mexico doesn't have greenies putting irresponsible roadblocks to everything industries try to do...
It's not just the wages....

mentalfloss
Mexico is lower than Canada and US in emissions.