Wal-Mart Says It Will Stop Accepting Visa Cards in Canadian Stores

tay
+1
A few weeks ago when this story broke it was the topic of the day it seemed on Toronto radio stations.

All the hosts covered it and all asked who's the good guy. Most said Visa except for when they charge you 28% interest for being a day late on your payment...

Danbones
28%?
Don't forget that overlimit charge

I think in this case the NME of my NME is my friend

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver;

Walmaet can go fukk themselves. I do Visa, you don;t, fukk off I don't need the hose fiitting that bad, the lawn can wait. You will wither and die first. Visa is god the world ove, Wallmart is dung citry.

VI = Roman numeral 6

S = Greek 6

A = Babylonian 6

VISA = 666

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

28%?
Don't forget that overlimit charge

I think in this case the NME of my NME is my friend

It's only 19.5%. You think they were crooks or something.

personal touch
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I wonder if Walmart will have to cut back on their employees.

Wallmart cannot afford to cut back in employees,what kind of employees is more the question

spaminator
Walmart begins Visa ban in Thunder Bay, Ont., stores
Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press
First posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 07:36 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 18, 2016 03:29 PM EDT
MONTREAL -- Three Walmart stores in Thunder Bay, Ont., are no longer accepting Visa, the payment company said Monday as it encouraged its customers to take their business elsewhere.
After months of negotiations, Walmart said last month it would eliminate Visa as a payment option at those stores because it believes it pays the retail giant too much in merchant fees. The company has promised to extend the ban on Visa cards to its 400 locations across Canada, though it has not said when that will happen.
Visa, Canada's largest credit card firm, shot back Monday with a message for Walmart customers.
"Until an agreement can be reached in this commercial dispute, we encourage shoppers to use their cards at the more than 5,200 stores in Thunder Bay that accept Visa," the corporation said in a statement.
Walmart says it pays more than $100 million in fees annually for customers using credit cards like Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
"The issue is that credit card fees are too high in Canada. We believe Visa's fees should be lower for everyone, whether they are a large retailer, small retailer or a charity," said Alex Roberton, a Walmart Canada spokesman in an email.
"Canadians deserve better than paying a hidden fee that is four-times higher than consumers pay in other countries. We are taking a stand for our customers because high credit-card fees can result in increased prices."
Visa says it offered Walmart one of the lowest rates for any merchant in the country but the retailer wanted more. If it had given in, Visa said, Walmart's merchant fees would have been lower than those charged to local grocery markets, pharmacies, convenience stores, charities and schools.
The Retail Council of Canada has called on the federal government to intervene to mandate lower fees for all merchants.
A spokesman for Finance Minister Bill Morneau says he's waiting to receive a report on a 2014 voluntary 10 per cent fee reduction by Visa and MasterCard before deciding "how we can ensure this market stays competitive in the future."
A recent poll suggested Walmart was winning the public relations battle with Visa, but with a potential cost.
Nearly 60 per cent of respondents to a self-commissioned survey by the Angus Reid Institute said they sided with Walmart, but nearly half of shoppers who used Visa at Walmart in the past year said they would be less likely to shop there if the card was no longer accepted.
Almost two-thirds of respondents to the online poll of 1,527 Canadians conducted earlier this month also said they believe any savings from a cut in Visa fees would mostly line Walmart's pockets rather than being passed onto customers.
The polling industry's professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.
-- With files from Linda Nguyen in Toronto
Walmart begins Visa ban in Thunder Bay, Ont., stores | Canada | News | Toronto S

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Walmart begins Visa ban in Thunder Bay, Ont., stores
Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press
First posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 07:36 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 18, 2016 03:29 PM EDT
MONTREAL -- Three Walmart stores in Thunder Bay, Ont., are no longer accepting Visa, the payment company said Monday as it encouraged its customers to take their business elsewhere.
Walmart begins Visa ban in Thunder Bay, Ont., stores | Canada | News | Toronto S

Methinks Walmart is likely preparing to issue their own credit cards.............................why let the banks profit from something they can themselves? The more I think of it the more I'm sure it's going to happen.

petros
Like this?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Methinks Walmart is likely preparing to issue their own credit cards.............................why let the banks profit from something they can themselves? The more I think of it the more I'm sure it's going to happen.

Walmart already has their own MasterCard.

petros
See above. It's Visa

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Like this?

Eggs Zachary!

petros
They had them for years and years.

Visa is dieing. People don't want Visa.

JLM

They had them for years and years.

Visa is dieing. People don't want Visa.

Depends........................I charge a lot of sh*t on VISA and pay it off in full each month and at the end of the year, get about $80 to $100 back in time for Xmas..............sort of like a 1% COLA.

petros
Less and less places accept Visa.

JLM

Less and less places accept Visa.

For Deceit and corruption try M/C.

Tecumsehsbones
Mega-retail vs. mega-finance.

Tough to know which side to be on.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

For Deceit and corruption try M/C.

I use a MC debit card for everything except travel bookings.

Zero debt, zero costs.

TenPenny

See above. It's Visa

You posted a picture of a Debit card.

Not in Canada. In Canada, Walmart has a rewards MasterCard, and the cashiers are required to push it on customers. It's a credit card, not a debit card.

petros
There is also...

Visa is dieing.

MHz
Canada has gone with VIAS abd DEBIT cards as being the same thing. People must be not paying their VISA bills and the goodies come from Walmart.

petros
+1
Huh?

JLM

Huh?

I couldn't make head nor tails of it either!

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Mega-retail vs. mega-finance.

Tough to know which side to be on.

*** si *** saw- they are all in it for the money!

tay
Walmart Canada says it will start informing its Manitoba customers today that all 16 stores in the province will not accept Visa as of Oct. 24.

The move comes as the retail giant and the credit card company remain locked in a battle over merchant fees.

Walmart pledged in June that it would stop accepting Visa at its more than 400 Canadian stores, saying it pays more than $100 million in fees annually for customers using credit cards.

But the retailer took only a small step toward fulfilling that June pledge when it dropped the credit card from its three locations in Thunder Bay, Ont., on July 18.

Visa, the country's largest credit card firm, shot back by encouraging Walmart customers "to use their cards at the more than 5,200 stores in Thunder Bay that accept Visa."

Visa said it had offered Walmart one of the lowest rates for any merchant in the country but the retailer wanted more.

Visa no longer accepted at Walmart stores in Manitoba | CTV News (external - login to view)

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Canada has gone with VIAS abd DEBIT cards as being the same thing. People must be not paying their VISA bills and the goodies come from Walmart.

I have visa debit and I like it
I can purchase on www line , and no debts.

I save money separately and only put what I need in the debit account
I have credit cards for what ever, but screw them, cash is king
ol' fashioned wasp grandparents - gotta love them scrooges

Making and swapping is more fun them just shopping

IdRatherBeSkiing

See above. It's Visa

I have never seen that promoted. Its a Walmart MasterCard credit card. Gives cashback. I have one and use it everywhere apple pay isn't accepted (which goes to the AMEX). But I use credit like most people use debit. I make a co-responding payment directly against the card for the amount of the bill almost immediately. Of course, it helps that I do not pay service fees for bill payments.