Mexican Illegals were a lot easier to deal with

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Cargill Meat Solutions said Thursday it tried to resolve a workplace prayer dispute with Somali workers at its Fort Morgan meatpacking and distribution plant that led to the firing of about 190 employees.

The workers who lost their jobs were mostly immigrants from Somalia and their termination came after they walked off the job Dec. 21 to protest what they say were changes in times allowed for Muslim prayer.

Cargill on Dec. 23 fired the hold-out workers had not returned to work, citing a company policy that employees who do not show up for work or call in for three consecutive days will be let go.

Some of the fired employees have been working at the plant for as long as 10 years, Council on American-Islamic Relations spokesman Jaylani Hussein said.

Cargill provides a "reflection room" at the plant where observant Muslim workers are allowed to pray.

Hussein said depending on the season, the workers prayed at different times of the day, typically taking five to 10 minutes away from their work. The time was carved out of a 15-minute break period or from the workers' unpaid 30-minute lunch breaks.

But Hussein said the company's policy changed recently. "The workers were told: 'If you want to pray, go home.' "

Many of the workers banded together and decided to walk off the job in an attempt to sway plant managers to reinstate a prayer schedule.

Cargill has a policy stating that any workers who are terminated can not reapply for a position for 6 months. CAIR continues to talk with Cargill, and teleconference is scheduled next week. Hussein said he hopes the 6-month freeze is waved and that the workers will be allowed back.

"Efforts were made to communicate to employees who did not show up for work to ensure they understood their jobs would be at jeopardy," Cargill said in a statement.

The workers earn $14 per hour and up, and are represented by a union, Teamsters Local 445. More than 2,000 people are employed at the plant.

"They feel missing their prayer is worse than losing their job," Hussein said. "It's like losing a blessing from God."

Cargill: Tried to resolve issues before firing Colorado Muslim workers - The Denver Post

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I, for one, think God and Workplace should be separate.

Unless of course you work in a a church, a synagogue a mosque or as a roadie for Clapton.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Religion is for church, the workplace is for work. The factory or whatever
is responsible for the persons paycheck not their soul and I don't give a
damn what religion it is. If they want to work work if they want to pray
during work time down the street then they don't want the job. What's that
old saying about have your cake and eating it to
I have no sympathy for them

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Religion is for church, the workplace is for work. The factory or whatever
is responsible for the persons paycheck not their soul and I don't give a
damn what religion it is. If they want to work work if they want to pray
during work time down the street then they don't want the job. What's that
old saying about have your cake and eating it to
I have no sympathy for them
In reference to my title, some may not be aware that Cargill was one of the leading pioneers using of 'illegals'.

They routinely had ICE come into their places and take out 500 people yet the next day be running again with another 500 people.

Cargill is one of America's leaders in looking the other way as to exploit workers but never got really slapped around by successive governments over 30 years.

I see, by this article that they decided to go another route and maybe someday they will offer decent pay and benefits to hire a stable workforce that doesn't have other issues....