US Navy’s newest ship breaks down 20 days after commissioning,

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The US Navy’s brand new littoral combat ship, the Milwaukee, broke down on Friday and had to be towed for emergency repair just three weeks after commissioning. The warship’s troubles came after several days of propulsion system problems.
The USS Milwaukee was traveling from Halifax, Canada to Mayport, Florida, on its way to its homeport in San Diego when it suffered an engineering failure, the Navy Times reported.
Read more
US Navy’s troubled Littoral Combat Ship program could face the axe
The salvage ship Grapple towed it more than 40 nautical miles to the Joint Expeditionary Base in Little Creek, Virginia, where the cause of the failure will be traced and repairs carried out.
Initial indications point to metal filings in the lube oil filter as the cause of the shutdown, the report said. The ship experienced propulsion problems after leaving Halifax. Engineers cleaned out the metal debris and locked the port shaft as a precaution, but it appears the fix wasn’t enough to keep the Milwaukee running.
"Reporting of a complete loss of propulsion on USS Milwaukee (LCS 5) is deeply alarming, particularly given this ship was commissioned just 20 days ago," Senator John McCain, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a statement to the Times.
The USS Milwaukee is the third ship of the Freedom class, Lockheed Martin’s contribution for the Navy’s Littoral Combat Ship program. The Navy couldn’t choose between this design and the rival contender from General Dynamics, the Independence-class LCS and contracted a dozen of each class. Three of each has been commissioned so far.
READ MORE: F-35 deathtrap: Pentagon jet’s ejection seat could snap pilot’s neck
The LCS program was designed to produce a multipurpose warship for patrolling littoral zones, waters close to shore. It suffered from an overblown budget and concerns over the warship’s ability to survive actual combat.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Heeeey! Maybe the RCN can pick up some discount Frigates to go along with the discount Upholder subs.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The US Navy’s brand new littoral combat ship, the Milwaukee, broke down on Friday and had to be towed for emergency repair just three weeks after commissioning. The warship’s troubles came after several days of propulsion system problems.
The USS Milwaukee was traveling from Halifax, Canada to Mayport, Florida, on its way to its homeport in San Diego when it suffered an engineering failure, the Navy Times reported.
Read more
The salvage ship Grapple towed it more than 40 nautical miles to the Joint Expeditionary Base in Little Creek, Virginia, where the cause of the failure will be traced and repairs carried out.
Initial indications point to metal filings in the lube oil filter as the cause of the shutdown, the report said. The ship experienced propulsion problems after leaving Halifax. Engineers cleaned out the metal debris and locked the port shaft as a precaution, but it appears the fix wasn’t enough to keep the Milwaukee running.
"Reporting of a complete loss of propulsion on USS Milwaukee (LCS 5) is deeply alarming, particularly given this ship was commissioned just 20 days ago," Senator John McCain, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a statement to the Times.
The USS Milwaukee is the third ship of the Freedom class, Lockheed Martin’s contribution for the Navy’s Littoral Combat Ship program. The Navy couldn’t choose between this design and the rival contender from General Dynamics, the Independence-class LCS and contracted a dozen of each class. Three of each has been commissioned so far.
The LCS program was designed to produce a multipurpose warship for patrolling littoral zones, waters close to shore. It suffered from an overblown budget and concerns over the warship’s ability to survive actual combat.
I wonder if Lockheed-Martin employs Brit engineers. (I am just thinking of Canada's problems with Brit subs).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Read more

Metal filings in lube oil could be just a new ship, post-construction thing or it could be a sign of defective design/manufacture/fit of components that are cutting onto each other. Warships have been made with deadly fatal flaws deep in their systems that are not noticed until undue stresses are put on them. It happened to a Canadian destroyer and it remains the deadliest non-wartime event in our Navy's history. A reduction gearbox, that reduces a turbine engine output of thousands of revolutions per minute to a hundred or two to turn the big propellers, was incorrectly installed while being built. What is happening on that American ship should be taken very seriously and they obviously are doing so.

HMCS Kootenay (lest we forget):
HMCS KOOTENAY Gearbox Explosion

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Reminds me exactly of the F35. Things have just become too complicated in military technology.. and too expensive.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Metal filings are normal to a certain extent considering all the pumps and motors and lines the oil goes through. Chunks of metal is a different story.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It depends upon where the filings are from and how much of it there is.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There should be no metal filings, period. Metal filings are a sign of undue wear and failure.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In new machinery there are always filings. Places where metal moves against metal have to find a mating range.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It can happen what I would like to know is, the ratio of ships with problems as opposed to
ships leaving for the first time with problems

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Reminds me of the scene from the movie Nebraska. Bunch of old men watching TV. One old man says to another, Man that Chevy you use to drive was a good one. The other old geezer replies, I never owned a chevy. I had a Dodge. The other codger then says,, those cars will run forever. Whatever happened to that car? The other geezer replies, it stopped running. Well they'll do that,,,replies the other codger.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Reminds me exactly of the F35. Things have just become too complicated in military technology.. and too expensive.

Well there are a number of idas about the failure of US military procurments. It seems fraud and corruption play a bigger part than they should. So the first battle for these systems is one of competing interests, profit versus value. That was adressed in Russia during Putins first term. We will have to wait for the outcome of this new war for a deeper explanation, depending on who wins and if there's anyone left to analyze and publish. Certainly air superiority is one area that has passed to new hands. Complexity is stuffing every utility into one package which leads to none of it getting done near enough to the leading edge.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There should be no metal filings, period. Metal filings are a sign of undue wear and failure.

On a newly commissioned ship, it could just be the sign of !azy engine fitters who left crap behind in new lube oil lines. I remember hearing that when they stared up the Pointe LePreau CANDU reactor in New Brunswick for the first time, they had to shut it down immediately to clear all of the empty liquor bottles that had been left in the pipes during construction. So far, New Brunswick is not a smoking hole, yet ... except maybe in the metaphorical sense, anyway.

In new machinery there are always filings. Places where metal moves against metal have to find a mating range.

True, that.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

There are people in Maine who can see some land in the distance on a clear day and don't know that it's Nova Scotia.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There are people in Maine who can see some land in the distance on a clear day and don't know that it's Nova Scotia.

I was up on the battlements of Fort Niagara ( New York) on a July 4th a few tears back, which is about fifty yards from the border that runs up the middle of the Niagara river. I was right in the middle of a dozen or so of American tourists who were staring in wonderment at the family continuous horizon of high rise towers going as far to the right as the eye can see.

"What's that?" "Where is that place?" One of the smarter ones even offered up the theory that they were seeing Minneapolis off in the distance. I decided to put them out of their misery and I told them that they were looking at Canada. "Canada?!" I got back in a clearly unbelieving tone. They didn't buy that. You could see them looking a little more closely, though.

"The other half of North America ..."

"Hunh?"