You Have Mail: Private company seeks to continue door-to-door delivery

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You Have Mail: Private company seeks to continue door-to-door delivery

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Monday, October 6, 2014 5:25PM EDT
When Canada Post stops delivering mail to your home’s front door later this month across Canada, Dan Trudeau hopes you will call him.
Trudeau is the CEO of a new privately owned company called You Have Mail. The Winnipeg-based company is slated to start delivering mail on Oct. 20 from Canada Post’s community mailboxes directly to an individual home or small business.
This is the same day Canada Post will start phasing out its door-to-door delivery to more than 100,000 homes and 10,000 businesses as part of a five-year plan to eliminate home delivery for more than five million Canadians.

For $20 a month, Trudeau’s company will deliver mail from your community mailbox to your home or small business, twice a week, on Mondays and Wednesday. For $30 per month, You Have Mail will make three deliveries per week, on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Corporations can also sign up with You Have Mail for daily delivery at a cost of $60 per month. If you would like your junk mail filtered, it costs an extra $5 per month.
“We came up with the concept a couple of months ago when people in my circle expressed their concerns about keeping home delivery,” Trudeau said, adding that he’s been inundated with requests.
“We’re getting a lot of calls from seniors who are not capable of going to the community boxes and small businesses and people who want to be the one to make that decision to continue door-to-door service,” Trudeau said.
Trudeau says his business will start home delivery in Winnipeg and expand west to Fort McMurray, Alta., and Calgary in November or December, depending on demand.
But the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) strongly condemns the move to continue door-to-door mail delivery on a privatized basis, saying he’s exploiting Canada Post’s decision.
“The Harper government is trying to kill Canada’s postal service and the vultures are circling,” said Denis Lemelin, National President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, in a statement.
“Why should Canadians have to pay $20 or $30 or $60 to have their mail delivered to the door? ... Privatization is not the solution. Mail delivery must remain a public service, not a for-profit business.”
Canada Post refused to comment on Trudeau's new door-to-door delivery service.
In August, Canada Post said it would continue home delivery for residents who are physically unable to retrieve mail from community boxes, provided they provide medical information about their physical disability and a doctor’s note.

Read more: Your door-to-door mail delivery doesn’t have to end, but it will cost you | CTV News

Yea or nay? $20 a month could be worth it in the wintertime.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I already do it for a couple of the seniors on our street for free.

I do love how their union wants more, to do less though, lol.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think it should be an option. IF they can make a go of it by all means they should be allowed to try.

I think seniors and those with disabilities who are unable to pick up their mail shouldn't have to pay if they can't afford it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Seniors in cities must be wimps. Every place I have lived except Vancouver has had either group boxes or PO boxes and all the seniors seem to manage the trip.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
There is no longer a need to have mail delivery five days a week, three days a week should be more than adaquate.
I'm sure most average wage earners could get by with two deliveries per week.

Government cheques are no longer issued by mail, it's all done thru direct banking.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Canada Post already does that for no charge. They will still get home delivery.

Oh..glad to hear that. I've heard nothing but the bad bits on the radio. Thanks for letting me know. Its like there is almost some good left in the world still...lol

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Seniors in cities must be wimps. Every place I have lived except Vancouver has had either group boxes or PO boxes and all the seniors seem to manage the trip.

Haven't had home delivery around here for ever and everybody (including seniors) managed to survive.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's BS, Bear; the union has always wanted to expand door to door delivery.
Of course they have, Canada Post just can't afford to pay the amount demanded to do so.

Haven't had home delivery around here for ever and everybody (including seniors) managed to survive.
Yes because every senior everywhere is just like the seniors on your streets.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Of course they have, Canada Post just can't afford to pay the amount demanded to do so.

That's BS too. You make it sound like the union is demanding more (i.e. higher) wages to expand door to door, and that is simply not the case.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, CPC can't afford to expand door to door because less and less people are using the mail. Instead they're doing just what we are doing here. Using tech to communicate. Good or bad, that's the way she is.
I'm surprised that an otherwise intelligent person like yourself would attempt to lay it all on the union. Haters gotta hate. Carry on.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Parcels volumes have skyrocketed for CPC. My postie brings the parcels and mail. If they are coming to the house anyway.....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Parcels volumes have skyrocketed for CPC. My postie brings the parcels and mail. If they are coming to the house anyway.....

True enough, but the letter rate (BIG moneymaker) has dwindled to where some sorting machines have been taken off line.

We retirees still get touchy feely letters from CPC. Kinda late fellas.
Not that I ever wanted a touchy feely letter, pat on the head, etc. - then, from those condescending clowns.
Why would they think I wanted it now?
Just keep the pension coming. A lot of us earned it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Can't afford? When has CP lost money?
Not sure, but according to Canada Post, they cut jobs and jacked prices to ebb the flow of red ink.

I can only go by what Canada Posts makes public.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, CPC can't afford to expand door to door because less and less people are using the mail.
I know, which is why Carriers wages are grossly out of balance, and why they shouldn't have been getting any increases over the past 10 years.

Just saying bud. Nothing personal.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not sure, but according to Canada Post, they cut jobs and jacked prices to ebb the flow of red ink.

I know, which is why Carriers wages are grossly out of balance, and why they shouldn't have been getting any increases over the past 10 years.

The only time CPC ran in the red was when they locked out employees. Black before and black after.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The only time CPC ran in the red was when they locked out employees. Black before and black after.
Like I said, I can only go by what they make public. They lost $29 million last year, and $83 million the year before. And from the analysis I've read, last years loss was only mitigated by the sale of some prime real estate in Vancouver.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Nothing personal taken. Here I have to plead ignorance.
I retired in 2003, so am not up to speed on the money.
Don't even know if our pension went up. No reason it should. I'm happy where I is. Enough to live on and no debt/mortgage.

. So many people are in dire straits. Retirees, if they didn't buy homes way back when, are probably having a hard row to hoe. - specially in the big smoke. sheesh.

There but for fortune.

S'why small town living is not too shabby. A lower cost of living...........even if one does trip over one's neighbour from time to time. ;-)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Like I said, I can only go by what they make public. They lost $29 million last year, and $83 million the year before. And from the analysis I've read, last years loss was only mitigated by the sale of some prime real estate in Vancouver.

Why did they lose post butchering which was to save money after years and years in the black? Deliberately tanked?