BlackBerry smartphone maker is put up for sale

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Canadian company said it had formed a special board committee to examine its options.

As well as a sell-off, it will look into whether strategic partnerships or joint ventures could also help speed up adoption of its new BlackBerry 10 operating system.

It was released earlier this year alongside new devices but has made little impact in a smartphone market dominated by Apple’s iPhone and handsets based on Google’s Android software.

BlackBerry smartphone maker is put up for sale - Telegraph

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yup, not even close to closing...they are also speaking about how they are working on technology so advanced it will change everything within the next five years.

apparently some of the old boys who started it up are thinking of buying it back

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hope they are successful they lost their way a bit and now its time to regroup
some say apple is way ahead but they said that about blackberry too before.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I hope they are successful they lost their way a bit and now its time to regroup
some say apple is way ahead but they said that about blackberry too before.
I don't think it matters if apple is way ahead as long as they can maintain a reasonable market share... I think we will see Balsillie get involved again, but then again, maybe not because really other than the challenge why would he? Anyone who can give 50 million to the universities here doesn't need for much.

nice to see some Canadians do so well...that's what I like, I feel proud of what they did and putting Canada's name out there

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Google could buy them. They now have a large footprint in Waterloo, they recently expanded by purchasing the world leader in robotics.
BB has patents and teck worth a ton of money.
The buyer of smartphones want stability- Google would provide that. Major reason their sales dropped.
Corporations - govt like BB for security reasons.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Google could buy them. They now have a large footprint in Waterloo, they recently expanded by purchasing the world leader in robotics.
BB has patents and teck worth a ton of money.
The buyer of smartphones want stability- Google would provide that. Major reason their sales dropped.
Corporations - govt like BB for security reasons.
yes and remember the hoopla over that because governments wanted to be able to break the bbm coding for security reasons and blackberry stood fast and won

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
How many 10s of billions did the lose this last quarter alone?

Market share means absolutely nothing. Apple is does not have the best market share but has the best profits. Android has more market share but a lot of those are really cheap phones.

BB is doomed. It has no growth potential. It can't beat Android or Apple in the personal space. For now it is desperately trying to hold its own in the business space but that won't last. Both Android and Apple are getting better for business and will eventually chip away at that stronghold as well. Our company gives their execs BB for their e-mail. Some use it but others have it for emergencies or when they need to use company minutes but use the Good app on their iPhone to do their work e-mails.

And BB has nobody to blame for their demise but themselves. They had a huge lead and sat on their hands and did nothing. They aren't the first company to do this and they won't be the last. The Z10 was a nice move but too little and about 4 years too late.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How many 10s of billions did the lose this last quarter alone?

Market share means absolutely nothing. Apple is does not have the best market share but has the best profits. Android has more market share but a lot of those are really cheap phones.

BB is doomed. It has no growth potential. It can't beat Android or Apple in the personal space. For now it is desperately trying to hold its own in the business space but that won't last. Both Android and Apple are getting better for business and will eventually chip away at that stronghold as well. Our company gives their execs BB for their e-mail. Some use it but others have it for emergencies or when they need to use company minutes but use the Good app on their iPhone to do their work e-mails.

And BB has nobody to blame for their demise but themselves. They had a huge lead and sat on their hands and did nothing. They aren't the first company to do this and they won't be the last. The Z10 was a nice move but too little and about 4 years too late.
it's not dead, and it won't die... tellin' ya, no way... we know what they did wrong, you are laying on that...move forward, death is not in the cards...I'll wager you a timmies and a donut

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
it's not dead, and it won't die... tellin' ya, no way... we know what they did wrong, you are laying on that...move forward, death is not in the cards...I'll wager you a timmies and a donut

They could get carved up and/or absorbed into one of its rivals. I think they would be an ideal aquisition for another struggling mobile entity -- microsoft. They might be a solid #3 if they played their cards right.

Or they could just disappear. I see that as more likely but the absorption is still possible. They are dead as a standalone company or a company with any relevance. Suspect the only reason they even get reports here is because they are Canadian.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They could get carved up and/or absorbed into one of its rivals. I think they would be an ideal aquisition for another struggling mobile entity -- microsoft. They might be a solid #3 if they played their cards right.

Or they could just disappear. I see that as more likely but the absorption is still possible. They are dead as a standalone company or a company with any relevance. Suspect the only reason they even get reports here is because they are Canadian.
timmies

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
if bb survives it will be interesting to see if it remains Canadian.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I believe that they are separate entities now.
yes they are

for quite a while: 2009 - Tim Hortons Inc. announced on September 28, that it has completed the reorganization of its corporate structure to become a Canadian public company.

The wholy owned subsiduary of the Wendy's Corporation?
you are wrong here and wrong about bb but whatever

I was actually just attempting to keep it light

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I believe that they are separate entities now.

I did not know that. I thought they were still owned by Wendy's. I know for a while they were doing better than the parent which is why I am surprised that Wendy's gave them up. But they did.

Tim Hortons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes they are

for quite a while: 2009 - Tim Hortons Inc. announced on September 28, that it has completed the reorganization of its corporate structure to become a Canadian public company.

you are wrong here and wrong about bb but whatever

I was actually just attempting to keep it light

Yep. I was wrong about Timmies. I don't think I am about BB. I will admit a personal dislike to the devices. Forced to carry one every 8 weeks for my work. Not a nice device (IMHO).

I don't hold anything personal about these discussions. But technology is a bit of a passion of mine so I rarely keep it light. :)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I did not know that. I thought they were still owned by Wendy's. I know for a while they were doing better than the parent which is why I am surprised that Wendy's gave them up. But they did.

Tim Hortons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep. I was wrong about Timmies. I don't think I am about BB. I will admit a personal dislike to the devices. Forced to carry one every 8 weeks for my work. Not a nice device (IMHO).

I don't hold anything personal about these discussions. But technology is a bit of a passion of mine so I rarely keep it light. :)
sure no problem, they are not for everyone that's fore sure..