We're losing our film industry.

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
We used to be Hollywood North, but we're losing to Ontario and Quebec, and the Liberals, who're supposed to be business-friendly, aren't going to offer competitive tax credits. If they're business-friendly ...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We used to be Hollywood North, but we're losing to Ontario and Quebec, and the Liberals, who're supposed to be business-friendly, aren't going to offer competitive tax credits. If they're business-friendly ...
We don't have a liberal government in BC. They are Socred/BC Reform - wolves in sheep's clothing.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Do you think Van. may have priced itself out of the market.?

Just asking. I know nothing of the film industry.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Out of all the TV shows and movie shot in Vancouver, how many actually say it's Vancouver and not some US city.

Do you think Van. may have priced itself out of the market.?

Just asking. I know nothing of the film industry.
BC probably cut the tax credits.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Why does the entertainment industry need so many damn tax credits?

Because they'll take the filming elsewhere.

Out of all the TV shows and movie shot in Vancouver, how many actually say it's Vancouver and not some US city.

I remember the movie about our home town hero Rocky Marciano being filmed in Canada. It was hilarious seeing Rocky (the actor actually) coming off the baseball field in "Brockton" Massachusetts and the majestic mountains in the background.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because they'll take the filming elsewhere.

I remember the movie about our home town hero Rocky Marciano being filmed in Canada. It was hilarious seeing Rocky (the actor actually) coming off the baseball field in "Brockton" Massachusetts and the majestic mountains in the background.
That is a s bad as the Starbucks commercial with people flying snowflake kites while wearing parkas in a park with flowers in bloom in the background.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The issue sits with the low American Dollar. In the film boom the Canadian dollar was sitting around 67 cents USD? Why would film-makers want to come North when they are now pretty much at par?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It should of looked something like this. :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

If it needs tax credits, then it's not a particularly efficient industry. I'm Ontarian, and I say id our film industry needs a subsidy, you can have it. I'd rather have an industry that can stand on its own.

What? Actors and directors, etc. aren't paid enough so need a subsidy?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If it needs tax credits, then it's not a particularly efficient industry. I'm Ontarian, and I say id our film industry needs a subsidy, you can have it. I'd rather have an industry that can stand on its own.

What? Actors and directors, etc. aren't paid enough so need a subsidy?
Cable news channels like the SUN get upto 60% in tax credits.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I know dozens of people who used to work in that business and a few who still do- it's a temporary operation run by some of the flakiest people you could imagine and most of the jobs pay poorly.

So it's not something to build an economy on and having a movie shooting on your street is akin to a plague of locusts.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yeah. Half a $Billion from 08-11 That just SUN, not including others.

Meanwhile they can't afford to fund elementary and secondary schools on reserves adequately. Shameful, really.

Cut funding for all TV including CBC except maybe essential services and educational services and that's it. If we can't even afford adequate funding for basic educaiton on reserves, let's get our priorities straight.