Mark Carney is considered one of the shrewdest central bankers in the world

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The response to the Bank of England’s selection of Bank of Canada chief Mark Carney to be its next chief is being met with near universal praise.

Given how explosive subjects of monetary policy are (at least in popular discussion) the lack of controversy is Surprising.

A lot of attention has been paid to the fact that Carney represents a force for strong bank regulation (Canada didn’t have a banking meltdown), something the UK feels it needs given the various busts and scandals that have affected its banks.

more

Mark Carney: How he stayed ahead of the curve in the financial crisis | Business Insider | Financial Post

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Here is a respected man doing something disrespectful to this country. No I am not talking about
taking a job outside of Canada. I am talking about this guy renouncing Canada and taking up
British Citizenship to take a position outside of Canada. The last wonderful former citizen to do
that was, was Was you guessed it Conrad Black who deserted this country for his Lordship Title.
I actually had respect to Carney until he did this. The only way Black weaseled his way back into
Canada is because the current government looked the other way on its policy of not allowing
criminals into Canada. Carney is not a criminal just another one of those opportunists that give up
citizenship for a job.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Here is a respected man doing something disrespectful to this country. No I am not talking about
taking a job outside of Canada. I am talking about this guy renouncing Canada and taking up
British Citizenship to take a position outside of Canada. The last wonderful former citizen to do
that was, was Was you guessed it Conrad Black who deserted this country for his Lordship Title.
I actually had respect to Carney until he did this. The only way Black weaseled his way back into
Canada is because the current government looked the other way on its policy of not allowing
criminals into Canada. Carney is not a criminal just another one of those opportunists that give up
citizenship for a job.

Hey Grumps; I don't think one has to renounce Cdn. cit. in order to take on British. If'n I'm wrong I apologize ahead of time.

Lord Arsehole did it, but I wouldn't judge Carney on that basis.

Unfortunately some con will probably get some other con to be the newbie banking head, and it'll be George Bush Land for us.

PS Not too long ago Carney said he had no interest in the job. So, a flip and a flop. Are they all the same?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hey Grumps; I don't think one has to renounce Cdn. cit. in order to take on British. If'n I'm wrong I apologize ahead of time.

I think you're right.

Dual Citizenship

Canadian citizenship law allows Canadian citizens to acquire a foreign nationality without automatically losing their Canadian citizenship
UK Border Agency | Can I be a citizen of two countries?

You do not need to give up your present citizenship or nationality to become a British citizen

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"... near universal praise."
Even in England?

Signing all those bills ($5, $10, $20, etc.) the Mint printed must have been exhausting!
And, scolding us plebs for borrowing money (at historically low interest rates) was trying!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I wish Mark all the best. He's done well by Canada. I sure hope that whoever replaces him has as much financial nous.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
What I found interesting about the Mark Carney move was his compensation. It seems that his salary for occupying the most important financial position in the UK is to be one million dollars per year. Although that seems to be more than adequate compensation it pales into insignificance compared to the salaries paid the the CEOs of the British banks that screwed up their financial system in the first place. There is something wrong with a system that continuously rewards incompetent corporate executives with huge salaries and bonuses and pays relatively low levels of compensation to thos who actually know what they are doing.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
How much did Mark Carney make when he worked fthirteen years or Goldman Sachs in London, Tokiyo, New York, Toronto...?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Canadian law does not permit Canadians to become members of the British House of Lords without PM approval. PM Chretien refused Conrad Black's request, forcing Conrad Black to renounce his Canadian citizenship in order to become a Member of the British House of Lords. If Chretien has said yes, CB would still be a Canadian citizen.

I believe the Governor of the Bank of England requires British citizenship, but Canadian law does not restrict Canadians from having dual citizenship of becoming the Governor of the Bank of England.