RyanAir CEO: "Seat belts don't matter"

Tonington
+5
#1  Top Rated Post
How does one become a CEO when you are a complete idiot? Maybe he went to a Donald Trump seminar...Here's the comments:
Seat belts on airplanes are useless.

That was the latest rant by Michael O’Leary, the chief executive for RyanAir, the ultra-low-cost airline based in Ireland.

O’Leary, who opposes seat belts because he is pushing for standing-room sections of his planes, called aviation authorities who disagree with him “plonkers.”

“Seat belts don't matter,” O’Leary told The Telegraph. “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seat belt won’t save you.”
Apparently he's unfamiliar with turbulence. He wants to offer standing room only areas of the air cabin, and obviously he can't do that if the regulations require seat belts.

Cannuck
+1
Goes to show you don't need brains to make it to the top in this world.

Praxius
There are often times when a landing isn't so smooth either.

For the standing passengers, maybe he can get by regulations by making sure passengers strap a bungee cord to their belt line.... and watch the bodies bounce around.... boing!

petros
+1
I guess he's never had his meal hit the ceiling during turbulence or even something as mild as a broken neck.

Texas Woman Breaks Neck, Back In Airplane Turbulence

A woman who was paralyzed after disobeying warnings to remain in her seat during a turbulent flight over Texas has suffered the same type of catastrophic injuries as the late Christopher Reeve, according to her doctor.

"She is paralyzed from the nipples to her toes," said Dr. Trey Fulp, the spinal surgeon who will perform a second operation today on the passenger at the McAllen Medical Center in McAllen, Tex. The woman was one of two passengers and one crew member on Continental flight 511 from Houston to McAllen who were injured early Saturday morning in mid-flight.

Fulp described the severity of the passenger's injury as a "hangman's fracture," a term used to describe the neck break commonly seen in patients who hang themselves.

Fulp's wife, Kathy Fulp, was one of the first nurses to treat the patient. She told ABCNews.com that the 47-year-old Spanish-speaking woman, whom she declined to identify by name, suffered a broken back at the thoracic level and a fracture between the C1 and C2 vertebrae in her neck, the same injury that left Reeve paralyzed after falling off his horse in 1995.

"She had gotten up and gone to the bathroom," said Fulp. "When she was in the bathroom the flight apparently hit turbulence and she was thrown to the ceiling, which is how she got the C1 C2 fracture. Then she was thrown back against the toilet, which broke her back."

Texas Woman Breaks Neck, Back In Airplane Turbulence - ABC News

JLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

How does one become a CEO when you are a complete idiot? Maybe he went to a Donald Trump seminar...Here's the comments:

That was the latest rant by Michael O’Leary, the chief executive for RyanAir, the ultra-low-cost airline based in Ireland.

O’Leary, who opposes seat belts because he is pushing for standing-room sections of his planes, called aviation authorities who disagree with him “plonkers.”

“Seat belts don't matter,” O’Leary told The Telegraph. “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seat belt won’t save you.”
Apparently he's unfamiliar with turbulence. He wants to offer standing room only areas of the air cabin, and obviously he can't do that if the regulations require seat belts.

Well, they do make it easier to find the bodies once the plane is located!

Ron in Regina
+1
I'm thinking of a news story a couple of years back, & I think it was
in Eastern (east of Ontario) Canada someplace, where in turbulence,
those that where not wearing their seat belts where bounced off the
roof of the plane.

Standing room on airplanes? Those passengers would make for many
large projectiles in the plane during turbulence.

taxslave
Standees could always wear fall arrest harnesses.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Michael O'Leary sounds like a complete idiot and, were I a stakeholder in RyanAir, I'd be re-investing my money quickly.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Michael O'Leary sounds like a complete idiot and, were I a stakeholder in RyanAir, I'd be re-investing my money quickly.

Or putting an add in the paper for a new CEO that isn't a total idiot.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Or putting an add in the paper for a new CEO that isn't a total idiot.

Seriously. Do you not smell catastrophic potential lawsuit ending in bankruptcy on this guy?Lol.

And that's not even getting started on potential loss of life from his 'ideas'.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I guess he's never had his meal hit the ceiling during turbulence or even something as mild as a broken neck.
Texas Woman Breaks Neck, Back In Airplane Turbulence
A woman who was paralyzed after disobeying warnings to remain in her seat during a turbulent flight over Texas has suffered the same type of catastrophic injuries as the late Christopher Reeve, according to her doctor.
"She is paralyzed from the nipples to her toes," said Dr. Trey Fulp, the spinal surgeon who will perform a second operation today on the passenger at the McAllen Medical Center in McAllen, Tex. The woman was one of two passengers and one crew member on Continental flight 511 from Houston to McAllen who were injured early Saturday morning in mid-flight.
Fulp described the severity of the passenger's injury as a "hangman's fracture," a term used to describe the neck break commonly seen in patients who hang themselves.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Wow. While it's a horrible thing that happened to that woman, it wouldn't have happened had she obeyed the warnings to stay in her seat. One mistake, and her life is changed forever...

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Wow. While it's a horrible thing that happened to that woman, it wouldn't have happened had she obeyed the warnings to stay in her seat. One mistake, and her life is changed forever...

It's not a rare occurence either. I wear my seatbelt from airport ramp to airport ramp.

shadowshiv

It's not a rare occurence either. I wear my seatbelt from airport ramp to airport ramp.

Like I needed another reason to not want to fly!

lone wolf
Standees? Is someone looking for bigger profit? Standees indicate overcrowding. Will the darned thing even get off the ground?

RyanAir sounds like a new candidate for the Scare Air moniker. Passenger name: Rick O'Shea

Ron in Regina
I know someone who told me a story about a flight out'a Ireland (or was it Scotland).
I'm assuming it was the Carrier mentioned above. The flights are cheap compared to
what we as Canadians are conditioned to. I'm talking flights from one country to another
in the range of $40-$80 or so.

They also have something called "Scramble Seating" where they just open the door, and
people scramble pushing each other to get to whatever seat they want for the flight that
takes well under an hour....& then they complain for the entire flight that they can't smoke.

The margins are thin compared to what we know with our in country flights in Canada.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

The margins are thin compared to what we know with our in country flights in Canada.

You might find that one of the big operating costs in the Canadian market relates to taxes and airport fees.

Next Saturday, pick up a newspaper and look through the travel section. You'll see a lot of low-cost flights to many places, but the actual cost is detailed in the fine print and drives the price way up

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

You might find that one of the big operating costs in the Canadian market relates to taxes and airport fees.

Next Saturday, pick up a newspaper and look through the travel section. You'll see a lot of low-cost flights to many places, but the actual cost is detailed in the fine print and drives the price way up

Oh, I know!! I believe the local airport (YQR) operates almost exclusively (if not
exclusively) on it's taxes alone.

#juan

That's probably a good plan. or just follow the seatbelt sign that the captain turns on and off.

bobnoorduyn
I never know whether to take Michael O'Leary seriously, a couple of years ago he floated the idea of having inflight sexual favours offered. I know the idea of stand up "seating" is serious, but I don't know if the seat design will be approved. The idea of eliminating seat belts just sounds like his normal shock trial balooning. The fact still remains that doofuses do seem to rise to the top of airline corporate governance, it must be some sort of law.

Its not a cheap airline either, they add costs to have paper boarding passes, if you check in at the counter, have bags, want to change your itinerary, etc. My daughter bought a return ticket Frankfurt - London. Her plans changed and she went from Hamburg - Tallin return. After all the extra charges she could have flown Lufthansa and saved the grief.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

I never know whether to take Michael O'Leary seriously, a couple of years ago he floated the idea of having inflight sexual favours offered. I know the idea of stand up "seating" is serious, but I don't know if the seat design will be approved.

Inflight sexual favours would be easier with standup seating.

petros
Does RyanAir use the "stop, drop and roll" method for inflight aircraft fires?

bobnoorduyn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Oh, I know!! I believe the local airport (YQR) operates almost exclusively (if not
exclusively) on it's taxes alone.

Airports here all run off fees. The airports are leased from the federal government by "not for profit" airport authorities. Airport revenues collected by way of landing fees, rent, parking and other charges. Each seems to have its own fee structure, I was told that airlines in YHZ are charged an exorbitant fee for parking aircraft at the gate overnight, which is why many park at hangars and the outer reaches of the apron. The feds charge the authorities rent based on revenue, in kind of a perverse extorsionist progressive tax sort of way. Its kind of like trying to understand the income tax act, but a former CEO of Cathay Pacific, whose name and title escapes me, summed it well in a periodical a year or so ago. Being a canuck himself, he was bemoaning the state of our system and how the harder you work, the behinder you get.

One thing that is certain, airport improvement fees are for just that, they cannot be used for general revenue, maintnance, or repairs, and a few authorities have been caught doing just that.

Does RyanAir use the "stop, drop and roll" method for inflight aircraft fires?

I don't think so, I think they just find the ones who paid the least, soak 'em used blue water, (the bottled stuff costs money), and toss them on it, saves on lav servicing fees as well.

I also heard that they are going to single front end crews and put the "privilege" of helping fly the airplanes up for bids amongst the passengers.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

Airports here all run off fees. The airports are leased from the federal government by "not for profit" airport authorities. Airport revenues collected by way of landing fees, rent, parking and other charges. Each seems to have its own fee structure, I was told that airlines in YHZ are charged an exorbitant fee for parking aircraft at the gate overnight, which is why many park at hangars and the outer reaches of the apron. The feds charge the authorities rent based on revenue, in kind of a perverse extorsionist progressive tax sort of way. Its kind of like trying to understand the income tax act, but a former CEO of Cathay Pacific, whose name and title escapes me, summed it well in a periodical a year or so ago. Being a canuck himself, he was bemoaning the state of our system and how the harder you work, the behinder you get.
One thing that is certain, airport improvement fees are for just that, they cannot be used for general revenue, maintnance, or repairs, and a few authorities have been caught doing just that.
I don't think so, I think they just find the ones who paid the least, soak 'em used blue water, (the bottled stuff costs money), and toss them on it, saves on lav servicing fees as well.
I also heard that they are going to single front end crews and put the "privilege" of helping fly the airplanes up for...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
If the aircraft piles into a rock face in the Rockies at 500 MPH or makes a big smoking hole in the ground,
seatbelts are not going to help very much but wearing seatbelts can save you from serious injury just the same.