RyanAir CEO: "Seat belts don't matter"

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How does one become a CEO when you are a complete idiot? Maybe he went to a Donald Trump seminar...Here's the comments:
Seat belts on airplanes are useless.

That was the latest rant by Michael O’Leary, the chief executive for RyanAir, the ultra-low-cost airline based in Ireland.

O’Leary, who opposes seat belts because he is pushing for standing-room sections of his planes, called aviation authorities who disagree with him “plonkers.”

“Seat belts don't matter,” O’Leary told The Telegraph. “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seat belt won’t save you.”
Apparently he's unfamiliar with turbulence. He wants to offer standing room only areas of the air cabin, and obviously he can't do that if the regulations require seat belts.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
There are often times when a landing isn't so smooth either.

For the standing passengers, maybe he can get by regulations by making sure passengers strap a bungee cord to their belt line.... and watch the bodies bounce around.... boing!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I guess he's never had his meal hit the ceiling during turbulence or even something as mild as a broken neck.

Texas Woman Breaks Neck, Back In Airplane Turbulence

A woman who was paralyzed after disobeying warnings to remain in her seat during a turbulent flight over Texas has suffered the same type of catastrophic injuries as the late Christopher Reeve, according to her doctor.

"She is paralyzed from the nipples to her toes," said Dr. Trey Fulp, the spinal surgeon who will perform a second operation today on the passenger at the McAllen Medical Center in McAllen, Tex. The woman was one of two passengers and one crew member on Continental flight 511 from Houston to McAllen who were injured early Saturday morning in mid-flight.

Fulp described the severity of the passenger's injury as a "hangman's fracture," a term used to describe the neck break commonly seen in patients who hang themselves.

Fulp's wife, Kathy Fulp, was one of the first nurses to treat the patient. She told ABCNews.com that the 47-year-old Spanish-speaking woman, whom she declined to identify by name, suffered a broken back at the thoracic level and a fracture between the C1 and C2 vertebrae in her neck, the same injury that left Reeve paralyzed after falling off his horse in 1995.

"She had gotten up and gone to the bathroom," said Fulp. "When she was in the bathroom the flight apparently hit turbulence and she was thrown to the ceiling, which is how she got the C1 C2 fracture. Then she was thrown back against the toilet, which broke her back."

Texas Woman Breaks Neck, Back In Airplane Turbulence - ABC News

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How does one become a CEO when you are a complete idiot? Maybe he went to a Donald Trump seminar...Here's the comments:

That was the latest rant by Michael O’Leary, the chief executive for RyanAir, the ultra-low-cost airline based in Ireland.

O’Leary, who opposes seat belts because he is pushing for standing-room sections of his planes, called aviation authorities who disagree with him “plonkers.”

“Seat belts don't matter,” O’Leary told The Telegraph. “If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seat belt won’t save you.”
Apparently he's unfamiliar with turbulence. He wants to offer standing room only areas of the air cabin, and obviously he can't do that if the regulations require seat belts.

Well, they do make it easier to find the bodies once the plane is located!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm thinking of a news story a couple of years back, & I think it was
in Eastern (east of Ontario) Canada someplace, where in turbulence,
those that where not wearing their seat belts where bounced off the
roof of the plane.

Standing room on airplanes? Those passengers would make for many
large projectiles in the plane during turbulence.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Michael O'Leary sounds like a complete idiot and, were I a stakeholder in RyanAir, I'd be re-investing my money quickly.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Or putting an add in the paper for a new CEO that isn't a total idiot.

Seriously. Do you not smell catastrophic potential lawsuit ending in bankruptcy on this guy?Lol.

And that's not even getting started on potential loss of life from his 'ideas'.8O

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I guess he's never had his meal hit the ceiling during turbulence or even something as mild as a broken neck.

Texas Woman Breaks Neck, Back In Airplane Turbulence

A woman who was paralyzed after disobeying warnings to remain in her seat during a turbulent flight over Texas has suffered the same type of catastrophic injuries as the late Christopher Reeve, according to her doctor.

"She is paralyzed from the nipples to her toes," said Dr. Trey Fulp, the spinal surgeon who will perform a second operation today on the passenger at the McAllen Medical Center in McAllen, Tex. The woman was one of two passengers and one crew member on Continental flight 511 from Houston to McAllen who were injured early Saturday morning in mid-flight.

Fulp described the severity of the passenger's injury as a "hangman's fracture," a term used to describe the neck break commonly seen in patients who hang themselves.

Fulp's wife, Kathy Fulp, was one of the first nurses to treat the patient. She told ABCNews.com that the 47-year-old Spanish-speaking woman, whom she declined to identify by name, suffered a broken back at the thoracic level and a fracture between the C1 and C2 vertebrae in her neck, the same injury that left Reeve paralyzed after falling off his horse in 1995.

"She had gotten up and gone to the bathroom," said Fulp. "When she was in the bathroom the flight apparently hit turbulence and she was thrown to the ceiling, which is how she got the C1 C2 fracture. Then she was thrown back against the toilet, which broke her back."

Texas Woman Breaks Neck, Back In Airplane Turbulence - ABC News

Wow. While it's a horrible thing that happened to that woman, it wouldn't have happened had she obeyed the warnings to stay in her seat. One mistake, and her life is changed forever...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wow. While it's a horrible thing that happened to that woman, it wouldn't have happened had she obeyed the warnings to stay in her seat. One mistake, and her life is changed forever...
It's not a rare occurence either. I wear my seatbelt from airport ramp to airport ramp.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Standees? Is someone looking for bigger profit? Standees indicate overcrowding. Will the darned thing even get off the ground?

RyanAir sounds like a new candidate for the Scare Air moniker. Passenger name: Rick O'Shea

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know someone who told me a story about a flight out'a Ireland (or was it Scotland).
I'm assuming it was the Carrier mentioned above. The flights are cheap compared to
what we as Canadians are conditioned to. I'm talking flights from one country to another
in the range of $40-$80 or so.

They also have something called "Scramble Seating" where they just open the door, and
people scramble pushing each other to get to whatever seat they want for the flight that
takes well under an hour....& then they complain for the entire flight that they can't smoke.

The margins are thin compared to what we know with our in country flights in Canada.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The margins are thin compared to what we know with our in country flights in Canada.

You might find that one of the big operating costs in the Canadian market relates to taxes and airport fees.

Next Saturday, pick up a newspaper and look through the travel section. You'll see a lot of low-cost flights to many places, but the actual cost is detailed in the fine print and drives the price way up

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You might find that one of the big operating costs in the Canadian market relates to taxes and airport fees.

Next Saturday, pick up a newspaper and look through the travel section. You'll see a lot of low-cost flights to many places, but the actual cost is detailed in the fine print and drives the price way up

Oh, I know!! I believe the local airport (YQR) operates almost exclusively (if not
exclusively) on it's taxes alone.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's not a rare occurence either. I wear my seatbelt from airport ramp to airport ramp.

That's probably a good plan. or just follow the seatbelt sign that the captain turns on and off.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I never know whether to take Michael O'Leary seriously, a couple of years ago he floated the idea of having inflight sexual favours offered. I know the idea of stand up "seating" is serious, but I don't know if the seat design will be approved. The idea of eliminating seat belts just sounds like his normal shock trial balooning. The fact still remains that doofuses do seem to rise to the top of airline corporate governance, it must be some sort of law.

Its not a cheap airline either, they add costs to have paper boarding passes, if you check in at the counter, have bags, want to change your itinerary, etc. My daughter bought a return ticket Frankfurt - London. Her plans changed and she went from Hamburg - Tallin return. After all the extra charges she could have flown Lufthansa and saved the grief.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I never know whether to take Michael O'Leary seriously, a couple of years ago he floated the idea of having inflight sexual favours offered. I know the idea of stand up "seating" is serious, but I don't know if the seat design will be approved.

Inflight sexual favours would be easier with standup seating.