Vancouver area neighborhoods and towns

vinoman5

Oct 19, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm planning on moving to the Vancouver, Fraser Valley area next year. Is there a good reference of Vancouver neighborhoods and or towns in metro area?

What areas close to Vancouver have more reasonable rents? Burnaby? Coquitlam? New Westminister?

Thank you

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm planning on moving to the Vancouver, Fraser Valley area next year. Is there a good reference of Vancouver neighborhoods and or towns in metro area?

What areas close to Vancouver have more reasonable rents? Burnaby? Coquitlam? New Westminister?

Thank you

you can compare all 3 areas, but all 3 are large, and have different areas within them which
make rents vary from reasonable to high.
Burnaby is closest to downtown vancouver.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
you can compare all 3 areas, but all 3 are large, and have different areas within them which
make rents vary from reasonable to high.
Burnaby is closest to downtown vancouver.

I would guess the area around Whalley (north Surrey) would be one of the cheapest, not sure about the desirability.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yes, I would avoid Surrey.

parts of surrey are great, but would also be the parts that are expensive, but not all.
Surrey is a huge area, I lived there for 13 years, and much of it is really nice, but unfortunately
the commercial area on king george highway has fallen prey to the lowlife, but I guess even they have
to live somewhere, so as long as we know where they are, we can stay away.

Those types will always exist, always have, but when you know an area, as it 'was', then see how it
is 'now', it is very sad.

How's Coquitlam?

coquitlam is really nice, very large and spread out, lots of different residential areas, and good
transportation into vancouver, even a 'train' that travels each day to and from vancouver
from outer areas, if one lives near that line.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, probably the best family community in the country. If I had to move back to the mainland
I would probably pick somewhere in North Delta like Ladner or Tswassen

vinoman5

Oct 19, 2010
Portland, OR
Are you relocating to VCR for work?.. Are you interested in living in (relatively) close proximity to downtown VCR?
I would like to be within a 10 mi radius of Vancouver if possible.

I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, probably the best family community in the country. If I had to move back to the mainland
Nanaimo does sound nice. I've thought of Vancouver island. At this point I mainly want to establish a residence, but still keep my place in Portland. I would even get a studio apt.

I'll be a dual CAN/USA citizen soon. :)

Nanaimo does sound nice. I've thought of Vancouver island. At this point I mainly want to establish a residence, but still keep my place in Portland. I would even get a studio apt.

vinoman5

Oct 19, 2010
Portland, OR
Received my Canadian citizenship card! Now that I'm a Canadian citizen, I'll plan to visit Victoria and Vancouver areas. Any thoughts on Victoria and it's neighborhoods?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I would like to be within a 10 mi radius of Vancouver if possible.

Victoria and Nanaimo are OK, (I've lived in both of them) if you don't mind the west coast weather including lots of wind and rain, although Victoria is in a bit of a rain shadow but notorious for wind having the ocean on 3 sides. As far as the mainland goes, anything west of Chilliwack is suicide.

vinoman5

Oct 19, 2010
Portland, OR
Victoria and Nanaimo are OK, (I've lived in both of them) if you don't mind the west coast weather including lots of wind and rain, although Victoria is in a bit of a rain shadow but notorious for wind having the ocean on 3 sides. As far as the mainland goes, anything west of Chilliwack is suicide.
Thanks for the advice... but what do you mean by anything west of Chilliwack is suicide?
I live in Portland, OR and the weather is similar to Victoria and Vancouver. I like the rain. I've also lived in Wenatchee, WA a few years ago, and I think its weather is similar to Okanagan Valley were you are. So I get the feeling that Victoria would be a better place to live than Vancouver?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thanks for the advice... but what do you mean by anything west of Chilliwack is suicide?
I live in Portland, OR and the weather is similar to Victoria and Vancouver. I like the rain. I've also lived in Wenatchee, WA a few years ago, and I think its weather is similar to Okanagan Valley were you are. So I get the feeling that Victoria would be a better place to live than Vancouver?

To be politically incorrect I'll go out on a limb and say that the Lower Fraser Valley is running rampant with Asian gangs and all the organized crime involving drugs, weapons, Identification theft, drive by shootings etc. Victoria is probably preferable to Vancouver- a little safer and possibly a little better weather, fewer traffic and parking problem and I'm guessing a little cheaper to live, especially as far as real estate is concerned. Yep, Wenatchee would be similar to our Okanagan maybe even a little warmer. I've been in Portland several times- probably one of the nicer metropoli in the Western U.S.

CurioToo

Electoral Member
Nov 22, 2010
When I began working and left my parents' home...

....I rented in Kerrisdale at first because my parents lived in Kerrisdale and it was easy to go home for dinners (ahem), Kitsilano and then downtown in the West End - but I hear the prices have skyrocketed - however the proximity to where you work would have its advantages - When I moved my working locations I moved my apartment dwelling but in those days
the prices were a lot less expensive (but so was my original salary too).....

Enjoy your new home in B.C. wherever you end up - it's worth the experience -