Victoria BC is worth moving there from Ottawa?

tapestry123

Jul 18, 2010
Hi guy's,
Much have been said about the cost of living in Victoria. We have lot's of reason moving to a place that offer unique opportunities. I am just wondering if someone from Victoria say something about the city. I am getting load of anti-moving feelings due to high cost of living, mostly from Ontario. I am expecting an offer to work as a technologist in hospital. Anyone out there?
Cheers.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't know what it's like in Ottawa. It certainly isn't cheap in Victoria. But you have a good job by the looks of it. I'm of the opinion that if we over analyze everything we'll never do anything. Jump in with both feet, you'll probably love it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi guy's,
Much have been said about the cost of living in Victoria. We have lot's of reason moving to a place that offer unique opportunities. I am just wondering if someone from Victoria say something about the city. I am getting load of anti-moving feelings due to high cost of living, mostly from Ontario. I am expecting an offer to work as a technologist in hospital. Anyone out there?
Cheers.

I lived in Victoria 50 years ago. B.C. is an excellent place to live- Victoria isn't too bad but there are lots of preferable locations in B.C. However I guess the job is the driving factor. Go for it. :smile:

tapestry123

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks guys.
I am just a bit apprehensive when other comment looks bad.
I guess to me its 4 seasons to 2 seasons of weather. Ottawa snow condition is a bit brutal from my point of view. I have been here for the last 6 years and still like it except for the 3 to 4 months of snow with a bit of storms and freezing rain.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As cities go Victoria is about the best you will find. Small but with everything close. Lots of old people and tourists and government employes. You can live in the country and be 20 minutes from downtown. Weather is good most of the year. Horrid white stuff usually only sticks one year out of five. We live about 2 hours up island and often go down to visit for the day. Pronably not expensive compared to Ottawa.

tapestry123

Jul 18, 2010
I guess I am getting unbias comment now.
No really this is what I want to hear first hand from within the island.
Cheers guys and hope to have some beers with you, if I ever make it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Victoria is a great city to live, and it seems you can afford it, will not be more expensive than ottawa.

weather is great, and it's not as full of old people as people seem to think, a good working city now,
lots of young people as well.

anywhere on east coast of vancouver island is nice to live.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Personally, I would recommend Nanaimo. Victoria is maybe an hour and a half drive from Nanaimo. If you are locked in to a job in Victoria, by all means go for it but my preference would be Nanaimo.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
two very good hospitals in victoria.

I live about 21/2 hrs up island in Courtenay, it's nice here too, but we all prefer where we live, that's
why we're here. If you choose victoria, you won't be sorry, a beautiful city, ocean on three sides, lots
of activities.

don't think we have anyone here who lives in victoria, correct me if i'm wrong please.

The downtown area of victoria is great for shopping, and walking, not hilly at all, very flat and
interesting, lots of nice restaurants and the beautiful parliament buildings right on the harbour.

Victoria has many many beautiful old houses, (as well as new), and there are many housing areas just
outside of the city, which would be a little less expensive.

If you like boating, it is fabulous there, or anywhere on the island.

There is a ferry service from victoria to vancouver, (every 2 hours),takes just under 2 hours to cross, a beautiful
ride through active pass and gulf islands.

They have an ECHL hockey team, connected to vancouver canucks, good hockey, two levels below NHL.

tapestry123

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks again guys it has been a good information for us. My wife is a bit apprehensive as well in moving out there. I guess your comment will think us otherwise.
Cheers to all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Personally, I would recommend Nanaimo. Victoria is maybe an hour and a half drive from Nanaimo. If you are locked in to a job in Victoria, by all means go for it but my preference would be Nanaimo.

I'll second that #Juan, friendlier people, better weather.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'll second that #Juan, friendlier people, better weather.

nanaimo downtown shopping area is ugly, and the woodgrove area is OK for shopping, but not for walking,
window shopping and strolling in general, and not very many good restaurants up in that area either,
the only restaurant near woodgrove is white spot, and long lineups all the time, so we just go to the
food fair, or down the highway a bit to the pub.
Woodgrove is your typical large mall, drive there, shop and drive away whereas victoria has streets and
streets right downtown where one can walk and shop for hours, with restaurants on every block, a shoppers
dream.
where was your smiley after friendlier people and better weather JLM, you can't
really be serious right?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
nanaimo downtown shopping area is ugly, and the woodgrove area is OK for shopping, but not for walking,
window shopping and strolling in general, and not very many good restaurants up in that area either,
the only restaurant near woodgrove is white spot, and long lineups all the time, so we just go to the
Woodgrove is your typical large mall, drive there, shop and drive away whereas victoria has streets and
streets right downtown where one can walk and shop for hours, with restaurants on every block, a shoppers
dream.
really be serious right?

I never had any problem with down town Nanaimo but that was many years ago so it must have deteriorated. Of course in those days such stores as Eatons was going strong and there were lots of good restaurants. Woolworths had a big store and lunch counter and the Malaspina Hotel had a good restaurant. Weather is better - less wind and you get real summer whereas in Victoria you seldom get a really warm day in summer. But hey I'm talkin' years ago and things change.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
dream.
There are lots of good restaurants in Nanaimo.

Acme Food Co.
-Martini and lunch restaurant & lounge, downtown-
14 Commercial St - 753-0042
Alice's Restaurant
-A good breakfast diner with big portions-
728 Nicol St - 250-753-9334
Amazing Thai Restaurant
-Yummy Thai food-
486A Franklyn Street, Downtown - 250-754-7818
Asteras Greek Taverna
-Fine, authentic Greek-
347 Wesley St, Downtown - 250-716-0451
Asteras Restaurant Nanaimo
Beaufort Pizza and Pasta
-Good, standard pizza joint midtown-
1483 Bowen Road - 250-754-5514
The Bold Knight Steak and Seafood
-Consistently voted as having Nanaimo's best steak-
1140 Island Hwy S - 250-754-6411
Cousin Nick's Pizza and Pasta
-Great, classic 2 for 1 pizza delivered-
21 Front St, downtown - 250-753-9444
Delicado's - A Southwestern Cafe
-Wicked wraps, salads, and margaritas-
358 Wesley St., Downtown - 250-753-6524
404-6581 Aulds Rd., NorthEnd - 250-390-0700
Fast Eddie's Good Eats
-Yummy, huge menu, cheap drinks-
1-2220 Bowen Rd. - 250-758-2274
Gina's Restaurant
-Great Mexican food on the hill-
47 Skinner Street, Downtown- 250-753-5411
Mahle House
-Excellent "fine country dining" 15 min south-
2104 Hemer Rd, Cedar - 250-722-3621
Mambo Pizza
-downtown Nanaimo's best delivery option-
247 Milton St, Downtown - 250-740-1000
Penny's Palapa
-Tiny floating outdoor restaurant-
On the water near the Bastion - 250-753-2150.

The Thirsty Camel Cafe
-Excellent Middle-Eastern fare-
Victoria Cres., Downtown - 250-753-9313
Don't forget Zougla's, a great Greek restaurant in Nanaimo.
Is there a pub in Victoria that comes close to the Crow and Gate?

I have trouble naming a "great restaurant" in Victoria
Downtown Nanaimo is going through a fairly big renovation.

As you say Talloola, We like what we like but you were a bit hard on Nanaimo.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Acme Food Co.
Alice's Restaurant
Amazing Thai Restaurant
-Yummy Thai food-
Asteras Greek Taverna
-Fine, authentic Greek-
Beaufort Pizza and Pasta
Fast Eddie's Good Eats
Gina's Restaurant
Mahle House
Mambo Pizza
Penny's Palapa
On the water near the Bastion - 250-753-2150.

The Thirsty Camel Cafe
-Excellent Middle-Eastern fare-
Victoria Cres., Downtown - 250-753-9313
Don't forget Zougla's, a great Greek restaurant in Nanaimo.
Is there a pub in Victoria that comes close to the Crow and Gate?

I have trouble naming a "great restaurant" in Victoria

As you say Talloola, We like what we like but you were a bit hard on Nanaimo.

There used to be a restaurant called Ricky's near Woodgrove. Is it no longer there? Good little restaurant as I recall. There was another one near Long Lake that was good but I can't recall the name of it. God damn Alzheimers..............:lol::lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
dream.
really be serious right?
Everyone has their opinion Talloola. I don't like Victoria as a place to live and we don't even go there for shopping when we can get all we need right here in Nanaimo. I find the most un-friendly city to live in is Courtenay but you live there and feel just the opposite. Nanaimo is a great place and they are working albeit slowly, on the downtown core so it is getting better. There are some really neat shops down there depending on what you are looking for.
To the person wondering about Victoria - go for it. This whole Island is a paradise to live on. Weather is great for pretty much the whole year and there are numerous places to explore. Nearly everywhere you go you get to view ocean and more ocean. You will love it. I would never miss out on such a great opportunity.
BTW Talloola, Romeo's has just changed hands and is now Milano's. I haven't been there yet but I've heard it's really nice. You might want to give it a try - just a block away from White Spot.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Acme Food Co.
Alice's Restaurant
Amazing Thai Restaurant
-Yummy Thai food-
Asteras Greek Taverna
-Fine, authentic Greek-
Beaufort Pizza and Pasta
Fast Eddie's Good Eats
Gina's Restaurant
Mahle House
Mambo Pizza
Penny's Palapa
On the water near the Bastion - 250-753-2150.QUOTEte?

The Thirsty Camel Cafe
-Excellent Middle-Eastern fare-As you say Talloola,

We like what we like but you were a bit hard on Nanaimo.
I was speaking of 'downtown nanaimo' as being ugly, have thought that way about it for years,
very poorly planned, neither here no there.

Is there a pub in Victoria that comes close to the Crow and Gate

the crow and gate isn't in nanaimo downtown, which is what I was
referring to, it is way out of town, and is very nice.

I'll have to check it out when it is finished, but it will never be the
wonderful walk about shopping that victoria has, as you can't remove all of
those hills, it reminds me of new westminster where I grew up, columbia st. the main
st downtown and everything after that goes up the hill. good for the conditioning and heart though. lol

]

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Ricky's is still there JLM but it's always so busy. Their parking lot is tiny and leaves much to be desired. Zougla's is nice but it's too fancy for your everyday meal. The Bold Knight is good but it's too far away generally speaking. Kelsey's is just fine as is Moxie's. I would choose either one over Zougla's and they are all in the North end. Cactus Club is another good restaurant and so is the Long Wood Brew Pub and Restaurant. We went to White Spot today simply because we could park the truck and trailer in a nearby lot. Otherwise, we would have chosen any of the others I've mentioned over White Spot anytime.