Minor Heat Wave in Nanaimo

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As I said, "A minor heat wave". For the next week we will be getting temperatures in the high eighties and low nineties. The Nanaimo Airport is getting slightly cooler temperatures since they are twenty miles away and nearer the water.
Don't get me wrong. I love hot weather and after the miserable Spring we had, we deserve a heat wave or two...There will be lots of places warmer than Nanaimo but these temperatures are warm for us.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
As I said, "A minor heat wave". For the next week we will be getting temperatures in the high eighties and low nineties. The Nanaimo Airport is getting slightly cooler temperatures since they are twenty miles away and nearer the water.
Don't get me wrong. I love hot weather and after the miserable Spring we had, we deserve a heat wave or two...There will be lots of places warmer than Nanaimo but these temperatures are warm for us.

i will 'almost' be living at the edge of the ocean Juan, the nice ocean breeze, and walking in the water
every once in a while, and if it keeps up I will be swimming in it in no time.
Point Holmes is a very nice natural beach and boat ramp area, great for swimming and walking etc., never
very crowded at all, we have spent many a hot day there, keeping cool and refreshed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How does that translate into Celsius? It's 30 Celsius in Nakusp right now, maybe more.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It was 30 or 31 here at 6:00 PM. I live across the road from the water. Around lunch the breeze off the water was downright cold. My grandson was shivering so I covered him with a blanket. He still complained of being cold. I should have gone for another blanket. Instead of letting the house get really cooled off and then closing it up like we did in the Okanagan, I closed up the deck door and a couple of hours later the house was still comfortable. By the time everyone left tonight I had to go outside. It is 10:30 and it's still 24 degrees. It is supposed to be hotter tomorrow. I'm soooo glad we are going camping. We will be across the road from the water again and our RV has air conditioning if we need it. However - I can always go downstairs here at home. The basement is nice and cool.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
my husband and I have re arranged out sleeping arrangements from upstairs to downstairs, 'huge' difference
in temperature, and it will actually feel chilly during the night, that is what we want.

Trying to sleep upstairs in that heat is insane if one doesn't have to.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
my husband and I have re arranged out sleeping arrangements from upstairs to downstairs, 'huge' difference
in temperature, and it will actually feel chilly during the night, that is what we want.

Trying to sleep upstairs in that heat is insane if one doesn't have to.
That is true and it's something I am giving some thought to at this very moment. I'm sure we'll have a much better sleep.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Major heat wave in Ontario. Way up north here, yesterday the thermometer on my porch, in the shade, got up to 100. That's 37.78, Cliffy. It's been like that for 5 days now, but that was the highest I've seen it. Gak.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Environment Canada is calling for 33 degrees(that is 91.4F) today. I can believe that because it is already 21 at 8:am. Should put some beer in the fridge. In case somebody wants some.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sorry I forget the numbers - my area has been flirting in the F90s since June

Juan..... this is no reason for you to be prancing around in your birthday suit!!! Sunburn is
very dangerous!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Originally posted by Curiosity: Juan..... this is no reason for you to be prancing around in your birthday suit!!! Sunburn is
very dangerous!

I didn't think anyone would notice.........I painted flowers all over myself......I thought I would blend right in with Jan's flowers.

Can you see me here?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I remember you showing us that flower bed last year Juan. It's looking lovely. Your wife is doing a great job (I say that because last year you said it was her flower bed). It's only an hour later and it's 25 at my house right now. I awoke this morning thinking we would have that nice cold breeze like yesterday. We left every window in the house wide open but the house really didn't feel much different this morning then when we hit the sack last night.
LOL I missed part of your post. I guess you did a great job of painting. You blend right in with Jan's flowers.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
32º, 34º tomorrow, Creston

34º, 35º tomorrow, Castlegar, Nelson, and Trail

This is about my comfort limit.

Originally posted by Curiosity: Juan..... this is no reason for you to be prancing around in your birthday suit!!! Sunburn is
very dangerous!

I didn't think anyone would notice.........I painted flowers all over myself......I thought I would blend right in with Jan's flowers.

Can you see me here?
lol You're pretty, Juan. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I remember you showing us that flower bed last year Juan. It's looking lovely. Your wife is doing a great job (I say that because last year you said it was her flower bed). It's only an hour later and it's 25 at my house right now. I awoke this morning thinking we would have that nice cold breeze like yesterday. We left every window in the house wide open but the house really didn't feel much different this morning then when we hit the sack last night.
LOL I missed part of your post. I guess you did a great job of painting. You blend right in with Jan's flowers.

It is Jan's garden but that picture is from two years ago. This year because of that cold June, the Shasta Daisies are a bit late, as are some of the other flowers. About a week of this weather should get everything back on time.

Juan ...
Well done you camouflaged daisy you.... hehe..... stay cool fella!

Thank you
I just mowed the front lawn. I hope that will be the last mow until September
VanIsle caught me out. Those photos were of Jan's garden three years ago. It will be almost the same in a week or so...

32º, 34º tomorrow, Creston

34º, 35º tomorrow, Castlegar, Nelson, and Trail

This is about my comfort limit.

lol You're pretty, Juan. :D
lol You're pretty, Juan. :iconbiggrin:

You probably say that to all flower beds......Lol

The Nanaimo weatherman has just decided we are going up to 35 degrees this afternoon.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well, it's 4:00 PM and it's already 32 which as you have stated is at the airport which is cooler than in the city. So 32C is 89.6F and the report says it feels like 35C or 95F. I went shopping at Costco but they don't have air conditioning. So, after dinner, I'll go to Save On and finish up my shopping, in their air conditioning. The heat won't peak for another couple of hours so we could see higher than 35 or it will at the very least feel higher than 35.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's because you were raised in this province and you are used to it!!!!;-)
I'm not so sure about that. Where I lived the mountains gave shade by 5PM and there was breeze off the lake and it cooled off at night.

It doesn't cool off at nght here the same way.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's 36 here right now. I can barely breathe in my living room! Just connected an air conditioner to the bedroom. It's getting quite lovely in there now. I'm about to sit in my car, cool off and go to the store and shop in air conditioning. Hopefully, there will be a breeze off the ocean by dark!
It doesn't cool off there now. It just burns!!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's 36 here right now. I can barely breathe in my living room! Just connected an air conditioner to the bedroom. It's getting quite lovely in there now. I'm about to sit in my car, cool off and go to the store and shop in air conditioning. Hopefully, there will be a breeze off the ocean by dark!
It doesn't cool off there now. It just burns!!!!

This morning looks just like yesterday morning. At 9:30 AM, our Canadian Tire thermometer tells us it is 28 degrees in the shade.