Air Canada Baggage: The Olympics

AirCAPassenger

Jan 20, 2010
Isn't it funny that Air CANADA have deceided to reduce their baggage allowance just before the Olympics, so you instead of 2 checked bags, they only allow 1 checked bag per person (economy class)!

Our family had a wonderful trip to BC :canada:, everything was fantastic, the people, service, food, scenery, accommodation, infrustruture, everything. However, on leaving the country we were told that we all had to pay excess baggage for our 2nd bag! We left London with 2 checked bags each, but on the way back AIR CANADA made us pay excess baggage as they had changed their allowance.

We were not the only ones at the Air Canada check-in desks surprised at this new rule! People were even talking about it through security and into the lounge. We all felt that we had been treated unfairly and it left a bad taste in people's mouths! The country / province is working so hard to promote BC/Canada to the world but the last thing you remember as a tourist is being ripped off by Air Canada. At no point was their a pop-up during booking online, no-one brought it to our attention on our tickets, or even sent a personal email. The first we were made aware of this was when we checked in online for our return journey and was only given a 1 bag allowance each.

How can they allow people to leave with 2 bags, but return with only 1.

This has made us so :angryfire:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Isn't it funny that Air CANADA have deceided to reduce their baggage allowance just before the Olympics, so you instead of 2 checked bags, they only allow 1 checked bag per person (economy class)!

Our family had a wonderful trip to BC :canada:, everything was fantastic, the people, service, food, scenery, accommodation, infrustruture, everything. However, on leaving the country we were told that we all had to pay excess baggage for our 2nd bag! We left London with 2 checked bags each, but on the way back AIR CANADA made us pay excess baggage as they had changed their allowance.

We were not the only ones at the Air Canada check-in desks surprised at this new rule! People were even talking about it through security and into the lounge. We all felt that we had been treated unfairly and it left a bad taste in people's mouths! The country / province is working so hard to promote BC/Canada to the world but the last thing you remember as a tourist is being ripped off by Air Canada. At no point was their a pop-up during booking online, no-one brought it to our attention on our tickets, or even sent a personal email. The first we were made aware of this was when we checked in online for our return journey and was only given a 1 bag allowance each.

Send this letter to Air Canada, the BC Tourist Association, the Canadian Tourist Association. Make a stink. Write letters to the editor at the Vancouver Sun and the Province. Don't take it sitting down. Throw a few punches of your own.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I'm used to starting out with 5 bags and getting 1 back(if I'm lucky)
Last time they even wanted me to pay for it to get returned when they finally found it,west jet felt so bad for me they sent it back on their dime.

A/c would have paid to get it to a greyhound and the rest was up to me.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I think they came up with that rule about a year and a half ago and it cost $50.00 per extra bag so I went out and bought the biggest bloody bags I could,one was a US army parachute bag and the other a big hockey equipment bag.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I would be more worried about getting a beating by the cops who seem to be out of control now.Watch the news this morning.

Was it this guy:
CTV News | B.C. cops sorry for injuring man in mistaken arrest

That is a $hitty deal! :angryfire:

ETA: Oh yeah, Air Canada. Don't get me started on Air Canada. Bastards. Sent my flight off before my flight arrived. We even arrived on time after leaving Calgary almost an hour late. Had to spend the next 5 or 6 hours in Pearson waiting for the next flight back to Halifax.

I've had nothing but good experiences with WestJet. The one time they did misplace something of mine, they couriered it to my apartment, a 40 minute drive from the airport.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A/C hasn't changed much. It's still badly managed and the service sucks. A friend of ours flew from Vancouver to Toronto a couple or 3 decades ago and the bloody morons left his wheelchair in Vancouver. The staff on board asked him why he wasn't getting off the plane and he said, his wheelchair wasn't there. They hunted for it and couldn't find it and someone finally piped up that it was still in Vancouver. Pearson lent them one of theirs for him to use.
And people say sheep are stupid.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I've had good and bad experiences with AC.

Westjet I've only flown on once, I think. When i wanted to go to Toronto, they only flew to Montreal, then I'd have to change planes. The next time, when I wanted to go to Montreal, they only flew to Toronto. So I gave up on them.

When you're in the Maritimes, you're limited in choices. But AC works okay. About on par with any other air line, in my experience. USAir, United, China Southern, they're pretty much all the same.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Air Canada is - in my opinion - still suffering from "Government Hangover." They grew up under public ownership and thus weren't held particularly accountable for customer service, among other things. Back in the 70s and 80s when I did a lot of flying around the country, I structured my trips to avoid Air Canada and tried to get CP Air flights whenever possible.

Internationally, I thought Air Canada was pretty good...until I had some experiences with Singapore Air, British Airways, and a few others...oh, oh..."Pretty good" compared to what? Some of those airlines really did a great job on customer service, comfort, and all the other things that make you want to come back for more. Air Canada? Nope.

It wasn't a case of total incompetence on the part of Air Canada...they just didn't seem to give a damn about customer service nor did they have to, as they had many of the plum routes all locked up. On the plus side, they've always had a very good safety record.

Nowadays, it's all pretty much "cattle car class" when it comes to service, both in the airports and on the airplanes. I'm happy I don't have to put up with it much any more. If I did have to choose, I'd likely go WestJet wherever possible, as they at least seem to try and take care of the customers. Air Canada doesn't...they're in a desperate cost cutting, defensive mode and it shows.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

I take it you came from London England, departed LHR and returned there. They can't simply change the fees once you've left. They have tried that with employees too. It is a pain in the arse, but just going by what you posted you should get your money back. Employees have been dinged for extra fees as well after they have begun their travels and got the extra fees reimbursed. Demand your extra fees back, and don't stop until you get it. Good luck.