Telling karrie where to go....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In BC that is!!

Yeppers, family road trip. Two weeks, from Edmonton to the coast.

We're hitting Enderby, Salmon Arm, and Kelowna as dedicated stops to see friends and family. Along the way I want to SEE what BC has to offer, not just drive through it.

So, all you beautiful BC folks, offer me your pearls of wisdom, your fave restaurants, places to take the kids.

And and all input (short of actually telling me where to go) will be greatly appreciated!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Sounds like you're beebopping along the TC highway. I can't help you much there, but I think around Mara Lake or Mabel Lake there was a faerytale village or something like that. We took our kids there a couple decades ago.
There used to be a Flintstone Village in Kelowna, too. Best burgers I ever ate were at the Burger Baron in Rutland near Kelowna. Best Benny's eggs I ever ate were in Golden. Lots of waterslides in the OK Valley, too.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There is a 'Home Restaurant' in Merritt and another one in Hope. Great food, not
fancy, but get there before or after meal times, to avoid lineups.

Another great place for a good 'Steak', is the Quilchena Hotel, on the highway
between Kamloops and Merritt, excellent food, a small hotel full of history
and stories, and a great little store close by, full of western stuff, and other
interesting things.
And, that is a very pretty drive too, goes right along Nicola Lake, and you can
get back on the Coquihalla at Merritt.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Don't know how far south you are coming, but if you are driving through the Fraser
Valley, swing off and visit 'Fort Langley', tiny little heritage type town, very pretty,
and great for a walk around to visit the cute little shops.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There is an enchanted forest just west of Revelstoke on the TC and a miniature Bavarian(?) village a little farther along. I forget the name of the river along side the highway east of Salmon are but if your timing is right you might catch one of the more spectacular inland salmon runs.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is a 'Home Restaurant' in Merritt and another one in Hope. Great food, not
fancy, but get there before or after meal times, to avoid lineups.

Another great place for a good 'Steak', is the Quilchena Hotel, on the highway
between Kamloops and Merritt, excellent food, a small hotel full of history
and stories, and a great little store close by, full of western stuff, and other
interesting things.
And, that is a very pretty drive too, goes right along Nicola Lake, and you can
get back on the Coquihalla at Merritt.

I don't know about the Home Restaurant in Merritt but I used to eat breakfast most mornings and occasionally supper too in the Home Restaurant in Hope, excellent family run restaurant, good food and nice people running it, BUT HEY that was 1984, while I was involved in the Construction of the Coquihalla. Hope is a very nice friendly little town, but things start to go for a sh*t as soon as you head west from there.......so if you get to Hope before your two weeks is up, you are probably better off just staying right there. That restaurant is right on the Old Hwy. 3 about 1/4 mile east of the main interchange right near the Chevron Gas Station.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So far our actual trip is fairly open for planning. I have an old classmate who works at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, who is trying to tempt us to drive that way at some point, and we are definitely considering it. Veering off course for something worthwhile is definitely okay by me. No point driving in straight lines imo. lol

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you are going to Whistler and are camping, Alice Lake Prov. park and campground is a beautiful spot, about 6 miles north of Squamish, 30 miles from Whistler.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you are going to Whistler and are camping, Alice Lake Prov. park and campground is a beautiful spot, about 6 miles north of Squamish, 30 miles from Whistler.

I'll keep that in mind if we decide to pack along the tent.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I ate at the Hope Home restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it was really good. Probably hasn't changed since 1984.

Just south of Hope is Bridal Veil Falls. Good for roadside picnic break.

Merritt is a great town. Country Music murals are all over the place.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I ate at the Hope Home restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it was really good. Probably hasn't changed since 1984.

Just south of Hope is Bridal Veil Falls. Good for roadside picnic break.

Merritt is a great town. Country Music murals are all over the place.

Possibly a different cook there now, the old girl at the time was pushing 70. Her daughter did the waitressing so maybe she has graduated to cookin'. A great restaurant for sure and the dress code is casual.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If you are doing the Islands better plan on a month or two. There is a reason we don't go to the mainland much. We have some guests from Germany here now that just spent over a week in the interior and were disappointed with B.C. until they got to the Island. Poor people thought that the punny little trees along the highway were huge until they were introduced to Cathedral Grove.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you are doing the Islands better plan on a month or two. There is a reason we don't go to the mainland much. We have some guests from Germany here now that just spent over a week in the interior and were disappointed with B.C. until they got to the Island. Poor people thought that the punny little trees along the highway were huge until they were introduced to Cathedral Grove.

I don't think we'll do the island. I don't have people on the island, and people trump trees.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

YEah, those trees in Cathedral Grove should have been felled 50 years ago while there was still merchantable value, now they are falling down about once a week and killing motorists. Have to admit it is a beautiful spot and only a 10 minute drive from the goats on the roof.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Some of the trees on the west coast of the island are sight to see too, like Meares Island, Clayoquot Sound. For environmental tourists that can be a religious experience.