Which city is the cheapest to live in within BC? (Cheapest Place To Live In Bc)

sensualspirit
I am thinking about moving out west from Ontario, but I know Vancouver is very expensive & has a lot of smog, which city is the cheapest & hopefully cleanest, yet close enough (30-45 drive to major city) to a big city for shopping, & has a smaller city for every week shopping?

Also local farm produce is a benefit : )

Thanks

Michelle
P.S. Do landlords in BC respect tenants more than over here in ON?

AmberEyes
I grew up in Nanaimo, which is just west of Vancouver, on Vancouver Island. It's a 2 hour ferry ride to Vancouver, and a 2 hour drive to Victoria, the provincial capital (where I currently live because of schooling). It's a beautiful town.. population is about 70,000... that might be a bit big though, I'm not too sure what you're looking for. The housing is definitely cheaper than Vancouver and Victoria.

In Between Man
Parksville and Qualicum beach are nice. However, there appears to be something in the water. You get a lot of people talking to themselves, and emo kids.

In Between Man
Quote: Originally Posted by sensualspiritView Post

I am thinking about moving out west from Ontario, but I know Vancouver is very expensive & has a lot of smog, which city is the cheapest & hopefully cleanest, yet close enough (30-45 drive to major city) to a big city for shopping, & has a smaller city for every week shopping?

Thanks

Michelle

Stay away from BC. The people are very rude, and it is very expensive. It's not a nice place anymore. Too crowded. A lot of the surrounding suburbs smell like human waste cuz of the sewer problems... try living in that in the hot summer. Even though it actually rains here 350 days of the year. Also there is no welfare, or hospitals. We also have a bear problem. Plus they are thinking of coming up with a Ontario immigration tax.... probably best to stay where you are. If you must leave Onterrible you should try one of the eastern provinces. They have lots of room.

sensualspirit
Hi guys,

Yeh, no kidding, I came across a thread about "I hate Vancouver" & didn't even get past page 5 & was totally shocked. Now you are saying ALL of BC is like that, not just Vancouver???

What do you mean there is no welfare?

What is the Ontario immigration tax?

Well while I want nature, I do want to be near a city with people who have brains & amenities, which province do you recommend?

Bloody Canada is just going down the drain IMO.

Thanks

Michelle

Kreskin
Vancouver itself doesn't have much smog because it's on the ocean. The farther inland you go the more smog there is because it blows out of Vancouver and settles in the Fraser Valley. Unfortunately a cheap place to live that's 45 minutes from a major shopping region doesn't exist in BC.

Tonington
BC stands for bring cash. It's very nice though.

JLM

Thanks

Michelle

WE've lived in Grand Forks (pop. 4000, surrounding area 13,000) for nine years and and I think living costs are among the lowest. WE are right on the U.S. border, dry climate and is agriculturally oriented, lots of orchards, and vegetable farming. Within an hour we can drive to Trail or Colville Washington for major shopping and it's only a 21/2 hour drive to Kelowna (or Penticton) for really major shopping.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayzView Post

Stay away from BC. The people are very rude, and it is very expensive. It's not a nice place anymore. Too crowded. A lot of the surrounding suburbs smell like human waste cuz of the sewer problems... try living in that in the hot summer. Even though it actually rains here 350 days of the year. Also there is no welfare, or hospitals. We also have a bear problem. Plus they are thinking of coming up with a Ontario immigration tax.... probably best to stay where you are. If you must leave Onterrible you should try one of the eastern provinces. They have lots of room.

"Stay away from BC. The people are very rude,"- Yeah, right-and your'e not????? The lower Fraser Valley, southern Vancouver Island and parts of the Okanagan are very crowded- otherwise B.C. is not crowded at all.

Francis2004
Living well is all a matter of how you view things..

Cost of housing will blow you away in BC.

Cost of gas as well..

The rest will even out I guess or so I found out when i moved here from Quebec..

All in perspective I guess.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by AmberEyesView Post

I grew up in Nanaimo, which is just west of Vancouver, on Vancouver Island. It's a 2 hour ferry ride to Vancouver, and a 2 hour drive to Victoria, the provincial capital (where I currently live because of schooling). It's a beautiful town.. population is about 70,000... that might be a bit big though, I'm not too sure what you're looking for. The housing is definitely cheaper than Vancouver and Victoria.

I make the population of Nanaimo to be close to 150,000. My kids are grown up now but if I were to do it all again, I would pick Nanaimo. Nanaimo is a beautiful city and a great place to live.

talloola
I live about one hour north of nanaimo, in courtenay, a nice small city, with the
town of comox close by, and the tiny town of cumberland, just 10 min. west.
Yes, it is more reasonal to live here than vanc'r and victoria, but not too far, if
you wish to travel to a large city from time to time.
All of us are right on the ocean, lots to do, much boating, lots of mountain sports,
great fishing, good local grown produce, organic food, lots of crafting and artists,
mountain biking, hiking, skiing etc.

sensualspirit
Thanks

How much is rent for let's say a 3 bedroom modern house?

Michelle

hermanntrude

Hi guys,

Yeh, no kidding, I came across a thread about "I hate Vancouver" & didn't even get past page 5 & was totally shocked. Now you are saying ALL of BC is like that, not just Vancouver???

What do you mean there is no welfare?

What is the Ontario immigration tax?

Well while I want nature, I do want to be near a city with people who have brains & amenities, which province do you recommend?

Bloody Canada is just going down the drain IMO.

Thanks

Michelle

come to newfoundland. Even in st john's, people are nicer than anywhere else. I moved here from the UK. I love it.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I make the population of Nanaimo to be close to 150,000. My kids are grown up now but if I were to do it all again, I would pick Nanaimo. Nanaimo is a beautiful city and a great place to live.

We lived in and near Nanaimo for many years-population is in the 70000-80,000 range. It's not a bad city, if you can stand the wet climate, but it's a very spread out city half the shopping facilities are 6-7 miles north of town.

sensualspirit
Hi Herman,

Yeh, I'm thinking I wouldn't really resonate with people out there although I've heard before they are very nice

Nanaimo is probably not for me, I don't like constant rain.

Thanks

Michelle

JLM
Yep, we lived in Courtenay from '76-'84, not a bad place to live then, but has grown a lot since- lot better access now with new Island Hwy. Used to take 3 hours to go Victoria- probably 21/4 now.

Trex
I have no clue.

However once it is located it is important that we are all know where it is.

JLM
I just got to thinking- it would be the city with the fewest stores and businesses.

Twila
Quote:

Thanks

BC might not be for you then...unless you choose something away from the coast. The Rainforest Coast of British Columbia encompasses the largest remaining intact temperate rainforest in the world.

BC gets lots of rain. It's why we're green.

Stubblejumper53
I used to live in the BC Kootenay's around the Creston/Cranbrook area. It's hot in the summer and wonderfully mild in the winter. I loved it there..growing up. The real estate is pretty reasonable as long as you are not looking for a lakeside home/all season cottage. I have seen real estae there for 100-150g..quite decent.

One question I have, I am actually moving to Ontario this fall. The plan is to reside in the Goderich/Bayfield area, on the shores of Lake Huron. I am looking at buying a modest home..anyone have any idea how costly it is to live in this area?

sensualspirit
Sorry, I don't even really know where that is. Why not look on MLS & get an idea.

Thanks & good luck with it.

Why are you moving to ON btw?

Michelle

#juan

Hi Herman,

Yeh, I'm thinking I wouldn't really resonate with people out there although I've heard before they are very nice

Thanks

Michelle

We get lots of rain in the Winter but the Summers are usually sunny and dry. We've been here for about six years now and I can't think of another city I'd move to.

#juan
The cheapest city to live in in B.C.? I assume we mean a city with all the things being a city means. To be a city you need a transportation system, all the big stores, and a nightlife. While the Regional district of Nanaimo has well over a hundred thousand people, Nanaimo itself has about eighty thousand. Real estate in Nanaimo is certainly cheaper than the lower mainland but people are discovering Nanaimo and prices are going up. The house we bought when we came to Nanaimo for around $200,000.00 is now worth a half million. Nanaimo is not the cheapest by a long shot. Try Prince George....

Stubblejumper53
Hi Michelle,

Actually, my fiancee works down in Ontario..he moved there in mid-September. He and I have been down to the Goderich/Bayfield area and we both loved it. Once I sell my property this spring..I will be joining him.

I will check the MLS listings as you suggested...thanks

TPG
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

Not sure where this person has travelled. I've been here since April and have found the people to be very friendly, helpful and loving. It's an expensie place to be, but well worth the money. I've travelled over 25000 km's and the culture is the same, no matter where I've been.

B.C. should stand for Beautiful Country!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TPGView Post

Not sure where this person has travelled. I've been here since April and have found the people to be very friendly, helpful and loving. It's an expensie place to be, but well worth the money. I've travelled over 25000 km's and the culture is the same, no matter where I've been.

I think the post you are referring to was probably a little tongue in cheek to prevent more people from moving into "Utopia". The cheapest city in B.C. is probably Greenwood. It is the smallest city in Canada, population approx. 700 and doesn't have many retail outlets. Probably the most expensive place would be the liquor store.

TPG
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think the post you are referring to was probably a little tongue in cheek to prevent more people from moving into "Utopia". The cheapest city in B.C. is probably Greenwood. It is the smallest city in Canada, population approx. 700 and doesn't have many retail outlets. Probably the most expensive place would be the liquor store.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've been in B.C. for a number of months on a photography expedition. Your mention of Utopia is a common theme. Have heard that several times so far.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've been in B.C. for a number of months on a photography expedition. Your mention of Utopia is a common theme. Have heard that several times so far.

Oh, and BTW, are there rooms to rent in Greenwood? JUst Google'd it and I've driven though it

captain morgan

BC stands for 'Bring Cash'

JLM

Oh, and BTW, are there rooms to rent in Greenwood? JUst Google'd it and I've driven though it

Yep, there is at least one motel, probably more.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

BC stands for 'Bring Cash'

As opposed to what place where you don't need cash?