Which city is the cheapest to live in within BC?

sensualspirit

I am thinking about moving out west from Ontario, but I know Vancouver is very expensive & has a lot of smog, which city is the cheapest & hopefully cleanest, yet close enough (30-45 drive to major city) to a big city for shopping, & has a smaller city for every week shopping?

Also local farm produce is a benefit : )

Thanks

Michelle
P.S. Do landlords in BC respect tenants more than over here in ON?

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I grew up in Nanaimo, which is just west of Vancouver, on Vancouver Island. It's a 2 hour ferry ride to Vancouver, and a 2 hour drive to Victoria, the provincial capital (where I currently live because of schooling). It's a beautiful town.. population is about 70,000... that might be a bit big though, I'm not too sure what you're looking for. The housing is definitely cheaper than Vancouver and Victoria.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I am thinking about moving out west from Ontario, but I know Vancouver is very expensive & has a lot of smog, which city is the cheapest & hopefully cleanest, yet close enough (30-45 drive to major city) to a big city for shopping, & has a smaller city for every week shopping?

Thanks

Michelle

Stay away from BC. The people are very rude, and it is very expensive. It's not a nice place anymore. Too crowded. A lot of the surrounding suburbs smell like human waste cuz of the sewer problems... try living in that in the hot summer. Even though it actually rains here 350 days of the year. Also there is no welfare, or hospitals. We also have a bear problem. Plus they are thinking of coming up with a Ontario immigration tax.... probably best to stay where you are. If you must leave Onterrible you should try one of the eastern provinces. They have lots of room.:angry3:

sensualspirit

Hi guys,

Yeh, no kidding, I came across a thread about "I hate Vancouver" & didn't even get past page 5 & was totally shocked. Now you are saying ALL of BC is like that, not just Vancouver???

What do you mean there is no welfare?

What is the Ontario immigration tax?

Well while I want nature, I do want to be near a city with people who have brains & amenities, which province do you recommend?

Bloody Canada is just going down the drain IMO.

Thanks

Michelle

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Vancouver itself doesn't have much smog because it's on the ocean. The farther inland you go the more smog there is because it blows out of Vancouver and settles in the Fraser Valley. Unfortunately a cheap place to live that's 45 minutes from a major shopping region doesn't exist in BC.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Thanks

Michelle

WE've lived in Grand Forks (pop. 4000, surrounding area 13,000) for nine years and and I think living costs are among the lowest. WE are right on the U.S. border, dry climate and is agriculturally oriented, lots of orchards, and vegetable farming. Within an hour we can drive to Trail or Colville Washington for major shopping and it's only a 21/2 hour drive to Kelowna (or Penticton) for really major shopping.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Stay away from BC. The people are very rude, and it is very expensive. It's not a nice place anymore. Too crowded. A lot of the surrounding suburbs smell like human waste cuz of the sewer problems... try living in that in the hot summer. Even though it actually rains here 350 days of the year. Also there is no welfare, or hospitals. We also have a bear problem. Plus they are thinking of coming up with a Ontario immigration tax.... probably best to stay where you are. If you must leave Onterrible you should try one of the eastern provinces. They have lots of room.:angry3:

"Stay away from BC. The people are very rude,"- Yeah, right-and your'e not????? The lower Fraser Valley, southern Vancouver Island and parts of the Okanagan are very crowded- otherwise B.C. is not crowded at all.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Living well is all a matter of how you view things..

Cost of housing will blow you away in BC.

Cost of gas as well..

The rest will even out I guess or so I found out when i moved here from Quebec..

All in perspective I guess.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I grew up in Nanaimo, which is just west of Vancouver, on Vancouver Island. It's a 2 hour ferry ride to Vancouver, and a 2 hour drive to Victoria, the provincial capital (where I currently live because of schooling). It's a beautiful town.. population is about 70,000... that might be a bit big though, I'm not too sure what you're looking for. The housing is definitely cheaper than Vancouver and Victoria.

I make the population of Nanaimo to be close to 150,000. My kids are grown up now but if I were to do it all again, I would pick Nanaimo. Nanaimo is a beautiful city and a great place to live.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I live about one hour north of nanaimo, in courtenay, a nice small city, with the
town of comox close by, and the tiny town of cumberland, just 10 min. west.
Yes, it is more reasonal to live here than vanc'r and victoria, but not too far, if
you wish to travel to a large city from time to time.
All of us are right on the ocean, lots to do, much boating, lots of mountain sports,
great fishing, good local grown produce, organic food, lots of crafting and artists,
mountain biking, hiking, skiing etc.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Hi guys,

Yeh, no kidding, I came across a thread about "I hate Vancouver" & didn't even get past page 5 & was totally shocked. Now you are saying ALL of BC is like that, not just Vancouver???

What do you mean there is no welfare?

What is the Ontario immigration tax?

Well while I want nature, I do want to be near a city with people who have brains & amenities, which province do you recommend?

Bloody Canada is just going down the drain IMO.

Thanks

Michelle

come to newfoundland. Even in st john's, people are nicer than anywhere else. I moved here from the UK. I love it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I make the population of Nanaimo to be close to 150,000. My kids are grown up now but if I were to do it all again, I would pick Nanaimo. Nanaimo is a beautiful city and a great place to live.

We lived in and near Nanaimo for many years-population is in the 70000-80,000 range. It's not a bad city, if you can stand the wet climate, but it's a very spread out city half the shopping facilities are 6-7 miles north of town.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yep, we lived in Courtenay from '76-'84, not a bad place to live then, but has grown a lot since- lot better access now with new Island Hwy. Used to take 3 hours to go Victoria- probably 21/4 now.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Nanaimo is probably not for me, I don't like constant rain.

Thanks

BC might not be for you then...unless you choose something away from the coast. The Rainforest Coast of British Columbia encompasses the largest remaining intact temperate rainforest in the world.

BC gets lots of rain. It's why we're green.