Moving to Vanc Island

abmom

Apr 19, 2007
We are thinking about Courtenay/Comox and Campbell River.
Between the two, which would you choose?
We are a family with 3 young children so I'd like somewhere that is very family/children oriented. Any input is appreciated! Husband wants a place closer to the water but housing still being reasonable.
From what I've seen, Campbell River is more industrial while Courtenay/Comox are more touristy.

I see housing is quite cheap compared to AB...but are housing prices going to increase dramatically soon?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Abmom

Hi - I have family living in Courtney and you couldn't pull them out of that place unless you set fire to it!

The pictures they send of their family picnics, weddings, camping out, fishing, general life for the kids, schools, absolutely sounds like heaven to me. I think the kids are benefiting too - they have close friendships, love all the outdoors things available and are turning into really neat little ones without the trappings some large cities bring to a family.

If I ever return to Canada, it would be one place I would consider moving to (let this be a warning to all the Canadians I may do it... hahaha)....

Best wishes in your decision - sounds like you and your family are on your way to a lovely life.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Housing has nearly doubled in the past three years in these areas. It's anyone's guess if the prices will continue to climb. With the forestry shakedown going on right now I think there will be more product on the market in Campbell River soon. Campbell River is really converting to a retirement and tourism community. It opened a cruise ship terminal this year. There isn't much waterfront to speak of in Courtenay/Comox but the area has a very good feeling and many nice neighbourhoods. I've lived in both areas for the past 14 years and wouldn't hesitate living in either.

Toro

Senate Member
My parents live in Comox - just moved from Courtenay!

They love it there. And I love going there. I get up at least once a year.

My father tells me they get more snow up in Campbell River (is that correct Kreskin)? Also, the airport is in Courtenay and you are half an hour closer to the Naniamo ferries to the mainland. The Comox Valley is fast becoming a retirement community. Its just going to grow.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My parents live in Comox - just moved from Courtenay!

They love it there. And I love going there. I get up at least once a year.

My father tells me they get more snow up in Campbell River (is that correct Kreskin)? Also, the airport is in Courtenay and you are half an hour closer to the Naniamo ferries to the mainland. The Comox Valley is fast becoming a retirement community. Its just going to grow.
No, I think Courtenay gets more. The community of Black Creek between the two gets the most. Most of Campbell River is closer to the water so there tends to be less snow.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've always liked Cambell River better than the others mentioned.........probably because of the fishing. When we first moved to this neck of the woods we moved to Gabriola Island and we did most of our shopping in Nanaimo. That second ferry from Nanaimo to Gabriola was one of the things that drove us off the small island. Our kids would come to visit on Friday after work and by the time they waited for a ferry at Horseshoe Bay.....rode the ferry to Nanaimo.....waited for the ferry to Gabriola......it was sometimes ten o'clock by the time they got to our house. The trip back was no better so we didn't see them for much more than a day on a whole weekend. We moved to Nanaimo for several reasons......cutting out that extra ferry was one of them. Nanaimo has kind of grown on us over the last few years. We have talked about moving back to the lower mainland to be closer to the kids, but the housing market has gone completely crazy. The house I sold on the mainland for two hundred and twenty thousand nine years ago is now on the market for over half a million. Nanaimo housing prices have gone up as well but not nearly as much as the mainland. We are still looking, but we are also looking at other ideas.

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
As an Islander I must say this place is disgusting. It smells all the time and there is nothing to do!! Water? What water? There's a little pond they call the Pacific Ocean but it is a cess pool!

I am not just saying these things to keep people away either! But... stay away! The oily Alberta wastelands are more hospitable than this hole!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
And there are really no beaches like this either:

abmom

Apr 19, 2007
What about Port Alberni? We would need to drive to the airport about 2-4 times a month. I see housing is cheaper in Port Alberni compared to Comox and Campbell River, but it is a bit further away. Is it worth the drive?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What about Port Alberni? We would need to drive to the airport about 2-4 times a month. I see housing is cheaper in Port Alberni compared to Comox and Campbell River, but it is a bit further away. Is it worth the drive?

There is nothing wrong with Port Alberni but you would likely be doing a lot of your shopping in Nanaimo or one of the other centers. You might consider Ladysmith. if housing prices are a big factor. Ladysmith is relatively short drive to the Nanaimo Airport and a fairly easy drive to Nanaimo.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There is nothing wrong with Port Alberni but you would likely be doing a lot of your shopping in Nanaimo or one of the other centers. You might consider Ladysmith. if housing prices are a big factor. Ladysmith is relatively short drive to the Nanaimo Airport and a fairly easy drive to Nanaimo.
Do they still have the swatikas on the Ladysmith Hotel?

There is something is strange about that town. Perhaps it has changed a lot since I was there some 17 years ago. Hopefully.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
I live in Victoria and I can't imagine living anywhere but Vancouver Island. Vic is my first choice, but if I had to move I'd consider Courtenay. Port Alberni is kinda redneck for my tastes. Kinda "Booneyville". I didn't like it there, although it was pretty.

The outlying areas around Victoria are (I hear) good places to raise kids. I don't have any, but wouldn't be afraid to raise them here, unlike Vancouver, etc.

Curio ... dang, Girl ... you may be returning to Paradise?? That would be awesome. There's a lot of us on CC that live here. We could have a regular jamboree!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Do they still have the swatikas on the Ladysmith Hotel?

There is something is strange about that town. Perhaps it has changed a lot since I was there some 17 years ago. Hopefully.

I've never lived, or even stayed in Ladysmith.......Stopped for coffee a couple times and drove around the town a bit.....Don't know about any swastikas. My wife and I have been looking at housing in the last while and I think Ladysmith is maybe a little less than the Courtney/Comox area. I could be wrong...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I've never lived, or even stayed in Ladysmith.......Stopped for coffee a couple times and drove around the town a bit.....Don't know about any swastikas. My wife and I have been looking at housing in the last while and I think Ladysmith is maybe a little less than the Courtney/Comox area. I could be wrong...
You could be right. Ladysmith seems more affordable.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There is quite a variance of weather in the courtenay/comox area. Comox is nearer the ocean and
is much dryer than the west side of courtenay, which receives more snow and rain along with Cumberland, (now, there is a 'different' town to live), if you 'really' desire to go back in time and live
in a small older looking house, and walk through a small older looking town, then Cumberland is the
place for you, it's cute.

I moved to the island in l980, Parksville for 3 years, then up to Courtenay, love love love it here, and
won't be going anywhere.
Housing prices are a little lower in Courtenay than Comox, (don't really know why), more knew housing
in Comox I guess, but I love it here in Courtenay, can walk to 'old' town courtenay which is cute as a
button, and they are keeping it that way, as all the knew big box stores are being built away fromthe
original town, and anything that is built here remains true to the town, nothing big and modern.
Campbell River's housing prices are a little lower than Courtenay, but not 'everywhere' up there, I
like it there too, and we go for drives and lunches to Campbell River often.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You could be right. Ladysmith seems more affordable.

We have never considered living in Ladysmith...........Right now we have a good situation in that we are in central Nanaimo within easy reach of any of the malls as well as the ferry. We have been looking at housing prices all over to get an indication of what the general housing market is like. At this point it doesn't look like Vancouver Island has gone through quite the same inflationary madness as the lower mainland.