[Urgent!] Importing live fish to Canada

Sony448

Sep 4, 2007
If I want to import live fish (Koi to be exact) to Canada from places outside of Canada (such as Asia), what rules or permits apply?

What I need to know include:

What kind of permit is necessary?
Is a license required?
What documents are needed?
Is there a tax?

Thank you very much!

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
i thought this was another don't drop the soap in the showers thread.....

instead we got some one wanting to import more poison food from china....

does anyone actually buy those apples from china...the ones grown in sewer run off water and the worst air on the planet.....yucky do

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
i thought this was another don't drop the soap in the showers thread.....

instead we got some one wanting to import more poison food from china....

does anyone actually buy those apples from china...the ones grown in sewer run off water and the worst air on the planet.....yucky do
Yup
100% ban on food from China
Don't ask me why, just LOOK AT Beijing

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is an inspection fee for bringing in live animals from other countries. If it were food meant for consumption they would have to be quarantined by CFIA, but as the fish are koi I doubt that's the intended use;)

I'll have to search some more, I'm more versed on the pertinent aquaculture regs.

Edit: Just curious, there are lots of koi breeders here in Canada, is it a specific breed that you can't find here in Canada?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Check out a forum that specializes in koi. A google search for 'koi forums, Canada' will turn up plenty of sites where people will likely know tons about importing nishikigoi.

I would suggest though, that you look for specialty dealers nearer to you. Importing one single fish, or even a few, can be cost prohibitive. A dealer can absorb a bit more of that cost, and you will be looking at fish that have already survived the journey, rather than paying for fish and shipping, only to risk having them die on the way.

Sony448

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for so many replies already.

The Koi is from Japan and it is much cheaper if I buy them from a wholesaler there and import it instead of through Koi dealers in BC, Canada. I have searched on Canadian government websites and can only find that I need a receipt of how much the Koi cost and a document stating their origins. I want to make sure that I don't need anything else.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Thanks for so many replies already.

The Koi is from Japan and it is much cheaper if I buy them from a wholesaler there and import it instead of through Koi dealers in BC, Canada. I have searched on Canadian government websites and can only find that I need a receipt of how much the Koi cost and a document stating their origins. I want to make sure that I don't need anything else.

there from japan???? ok nevermind...bring em on baby..

there is this place in High Park..filthy littered place with a trickle of water going through it and a Sign in Japanese and in English....
Some emperor of Japan donated gold fish and had them released and the sign is like some haiku that says "Even though are from far away they are thriving in this new land"...hilarous hypocracy....