skiing areas?

freeriderin

Aug 28, 2007
Austria
Hello!

I'm new in here... :)
I plan to make a work & holiday stay next year in Canada - and, as I love skiing, I would also like to live (& probably also work) in a skiing area in BC. I have some information about the different possibilities to do that in BC, but only from the websites of the skiing areas...
What area would you suggest - please consider, that I will be in Canada without a car, so a good connection with public transport should be available... You probably should know that I am not only seeking good ski runs, but also nice backcountry areas.
And - one more question - what time is the best for skiing in Canada? I am not getting my work permit (and visa) before mid/end February 2008, so I wonder if March is still a good month to go skiing in Canada? (In Austria it is not the best time...the snow is getting too "wet"...

Well, I would be happy to get some answers!
So, have a great time and thanks a lot!
Best wishes, :canada: Sandra

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Welcome. I'm not a skier but March should still be ok. What mountain would be best, I have no idea.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hello!

I'm new in here... :)
I plan to make a work & holiday stay next year in Canada - and, as I love skiing, I would also like to live (& probably also work) in a skiing area in BC. I have some information about the different possibilities to do that in BC, but only from the websites of the skiing areas...
What area would you suggest - please consider, that I will be in Canada without a car, so a good connection with public transport should be available... You probably should know that I am not only seeking good ski runs, but also nice backcountry areas.
And - one more question - what time is the best for skiing in Canada? I am not getting my work permit (and visa) before mid/end February 2008, so I wonder if March is still a good month to go skiing in Canada? (In Austria it is not the best time...the snow is getting too "wet"...

Well, I would be happy to get some answers!
So, have a great time and thanks a lot!
Best wishes, :canada: Sandra

You want the Kootenay. Though that is getting pretty late in the season. Not to mention that most jobs for the season have been taken by then. In most cases, you live at the mountain in a lodge and work out of there with a team to monitor the range, work at ski patrol and perhaps some grooming

The best thing for you to do at this stage is to contact each ski area and inquire about employment for the up coming season and arrange for an agreement to be drawn up.

Alberta also has a world class ski industry well worth looking into if you are qualified. Search for Banff and Jasper areas along with BC Interior.

Good luck with it and welcome to Canada.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
If i recall and global warming did not ruin this as well...Grouse Mountain in Vancouver has all year round sking....i think???
If ain't still there and never was.....nevermind!!!

hi welcome to doc's world of directing to parts of Canada that don't even exist....can be costly.....

freeriderin

Aug 28, 2007
Austria
Thank you for your answers!
Well, I know that it won't be that easy to find a job in a ski area that late in the season... At the moment I am also thinking about postpone my trip to canada until october 2008 - so I can get to the job fairs and probably find a job in a skiing area more easy... (another advantage of this possibility would be that I have time here in Austria to earn some more money and that makes live and travelling in Canada easier :) ) btw, about the job - I would qualify for some office jobs as well (finished studies of business administration - but probably need to "perfect" my english until then...), but in general I would do nearly any work - where I do have some time in the week to go skiing. :p We'll see.

But what areas do have good snow, are (relatively) easy to reach by public transport?

Oh my god, I can't wait to come to Canada - or before that, I would like the winter to start here in Austria soon :)

Best wishes,
Sandra

JoeSchmoe

Time Out
May 28, 2007
Vancouver Island
Grouse Mountain in Vancouver has all year round sking....i think???

Not.

If you have no car then stick to Vancouver.... Grouse, Whstler, Seymour and Cypress can all be reached by public trransit from Vancouver.

The best time is December thru February I believe....