Riverview institution gaining momentum

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
For some time now the politicians in BC and Vancouver have been promoting the idea that the extreme downsizing of Riverview in the 70's/80's was a mistake, and that some of the street people on the Vancouver Eastside would be better off in such a facility. I think they are wrong.

What is really happening here is the Mayor of Vancouver and Premier of BC are looking for a quick fix to clean up the downtown eastside for the Olympics. The solution from their standpoint is to round people up, declare them mentally incompenent, and place them in an institution.

Rather than round people up like gestapo they should actually build low cost housing and provide mental health support. I would bet in the long run it would be cheaper to build the housing, charge people 40% of their income for rent and provide people in these areas with medical and assisted living support. The alternative being placement in a mental hospital with 24 hour monitoring, 3 meals a day, a bureacracy of mental health red tape, and a bunch of people who become lifers to the facility and system. A system from the stone ages.

The province owns land all over the place that sits there permanently growing weeds. Build some housing and move these people into assisted living arrangements.

There are presently approximately 300 people at Riverview Mental Hospital. There use to be 5000+. Going back to the days of rounding up of people for permanent life in a nuthouse is ridiculous.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For some time now the politicians in BC and Vancouver have been promoting the idea that the extreme downsizing of Riverview in the 70's/80's was a mistake, and that some of the street people on the Vancouver Eastside would be better off in such a facility. I think they are wrong.

What is really happening here is the Mayor of Vancouver and Premier of BC are looking for a quick fix to clean up the downtown eastside for the Olympics. The solution from their standpoint is to round people up, declare them mentally incompenent, and place them in an institution.

Rather than round people up like gestapo they should actually build low cost housing and provide mental health support. I would bet in the long run it would be cheaper to build the housing, charge people 40% of their income for rent and provide people in these areas with medical and assisted living support. The alternative being placement in a mental hospital with 24 hour monitoring, 3 meals a day, a bureacracy of mental health red tape, and a bunch of people who become lifers to the facility and system. A system from the stone ages.

The province owns land all over the place that sits there permanently growing weeds. Build some housing and move these people into assisted living arrangements.

There are presently approximately 300 people at Riverview Mental Hospital. There use to be 5000+. Going back to the days of rounding up of people for permanent life in a nuthouse is ridiculous.

Seems to me this subject came up just before Expo86. Can't have crazy people running around and spoiling our party.:roll:8O I believe Riverview did get a few "extra" inmates at that time.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The mentally ill need some form of shelter, and I agree large facillities, like they had 40 years ago is no the answer. These people need assisted living homes much like the seniors homes where these folks can be safe yet be somewhat mobile. The lock and key approach to mental illness vs the olympics has many pit falls. Soom the homeless poor could be locked away in work camps until the games are over of course. We need society to meet its responsibility to these people while remembering we live in a free society, sort of. It should not be about money it should be about doing the right thing