BC is calling

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
B.C. is calling for workers

Michael Kane, Vancouver Sun

Published: Friday, April 27, 2007
Do you have friends and relatives in another province who would like to work in B.C.?
Let the provincial government know and theyll have B.C. luminaries like Jimmy Pattison, Lui Passaglia, or Carole Taylor invite them here with an electronic postcard or voicemail message.
Its all part of WorkBC, an initiative unveiled today to address mounting skills shortages and longer-term labour market challenges.
One component is the WorkBC website at www.WorkBC.ca which includes tips for individuals looking for work and information about certification and licensing in B.C. in both English and Chinese.
During the coming months the site will be converted into a virtual job marketplace for B.C. and translated into other languages such as Punjabi, Japanese, Korean, Italian, French, Spanish and German.
Another component is www.bciscalling.ca where residents can choose from 11 community leaders to deliver the message that B.C. is a great place to live and work.
In addition to billionaire businessman Pattison, B.C. Lions executive and former kicker Passaglia, and Finance Minister Taylor, the campaign offers photos and recordings from:
Art Aylesworth, CEO of Carmanah Technologies.
Nadine Caron, surgeon and University of Northern B.C. professor.
Karimah Es Sabar, president of LifeSciences British Columbia.
John Fluevog, designer and founder of Fluevog Shoes.
Economic Development Minister Colin Hansen.
Terry Hui, president and CEO of Concord Pacific.
Paul Lee, president of EA Worldwide Studios.
Chip Wilson, founder of lululemon athletica.
Pattison and Wilson will also be featured a two-week B.C. is calling print and radio advertising campaign starting Saturday.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Yeah, I started getting recruitment letters from BC about a year after I left. I'm not dumb enough to go back to the same situation I left.

DavidB

Nominee Member
Apr 24, 2006
www.akiti.ca
Yeah, I started getting recruitment letters from BC about a year after I left. I'm not dumb enough to go back to the same situation I left.

You are right for making that decision. I am still here and do not see the boom. There are many condos being constructed, but I do not see the businesses coming to employ all these new residents. Are they all new immigrants? Retirees from other provinces? What are all these people doing? I strongly suspect that all these new residences will be vacant shortly after the 2010 Winter Olympics because there is no new business coming in to underly any solid growth.

Regards.

David