Coast battered by storms - GW/CC

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
If anyone who lives on the BC coast does not believe in global warming, you might get swept out to sea in coming years.

The warmer air picks up more moisture. Pacific moisture is brought to the BC coast this time of year on the Pineapple Express weather systems, and more and more water is being dumped there every year now as the air is warmed by fossil fuel emissions [greenhouse gasses]. Stronger winds are also part and parcel with warming.

This was a record breaking storm. Trees were blown down and crushing homes and cars and messing with electric wires - wetter ground and stronger winds caused trees to topple that had not toppled in 100 years. This will become more common as the planet warms.

All the worlds coastal areas are in for big trouble. Flooding, and water in general, tends to do the most damage. There will be a great deal of hardship for sure, and if we do not change our fossil-fuel burning habits, there will be catastrophic consequences far worse than what we saw in the past 10 days.

To the people of coastal BC - this was just a little taste of whats to come.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think theres many out there who don't believe the globe is warming. The new skeptic says it's natural.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
If anyone who lives on the BC coast does not believe in global warming, you might get swept out to sea in coming years.

The warmer air picks up more moisture. Pacific moisture is brought to the BC coast this time of year on the Pineapple Express weather systems, and more and more water is being dumped there every year now as the air is warmed by fossil fuel emissions [greenhouse gasses]. Stronger winds are also part and parcel with warming.

This was a record breaking storm. Trees were blown down and crushing homes and cars and messing with electric wires - wetter ground and stronger winds caused trees to topple that had not toppled in 100 years. This will become more common as the planet warms.

All the worlds coastal areas are in for big trouble. Flooding, and water in general, tends to do the most damage. There will be a great deal of hardship for sure, and if we do not change our fossil-fuel burning habits, there will be catastrophic consequences far worse than what we saw in the past 10 days.

To the people of coastal BC - this was just a little taste of whats to come.
What are you on about .what extreme wheather did we have in the last couple of weeks?
A little rain and some wind, give your head a shake.It has been raining like that all my life.
Andif you talk to some elders they will tell you the same.
Go and drink all of Tonington's koolaid you want but don't try and tax me more as I pay enough already.
Rain in a rain forest who would of thunk it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is a necro post from 2006. The weather is changing most noticeably in the far north where the permafrost is melting in summer and summer is staying longer and near the equator where storm activity is get stronger and more frequent. A carbon taxis not going to change anything and all the talk about it is just a smoke screen to cover up the need to stop polluting our atmosphere which is causing an epidemic of respiratory diseases and killing multiple species on land, sea and air..

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is a necro post from 2006. The weather is changing most noticeably in the far north where the permafrost is melting in summer and summer is staying longer and near the equator where storm activity is get stronger and more frequent. A carbon taxis not going to change anything and all the talk about it is just a smoke screen to cover up the need to stop polluting our atmosphere which is causing an epidemic of respiratory diseases and killing multiple species on land, sea and air..

Yes but a carbon tax makes the lefards feel good. Especially when the money collected in Canada gets sent to a third world country instead of being used R&D for clean tech in Canada.

Right now in Qualicum Beach it has been below freezing for over a week and the year before last we had 2 feet of snow that stuck around for about 2 months so don't tell me it is getting warmer.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Constant humidity, feels like a damp Italian winter for 10 months of the year, grey skies like North Korea, must always have an umbrella in my pocket or backpack, et al.

Nothing new in British Columbia even though we had a tiny bit of snow yesterday.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In my part of Nanaimo B.C. we have about six or seven inches of snow and it is snowing right now. If anyone were to ask me, I would say we've had enough snow for this year.