Governor General Visits B.C.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, the Governor General of Canada, acknowledged the province of British Columbia as her preferred Province of residence, other than her own home province of Québec. Describing the beauty of the grounds of the province, and the caring, co-operative and tolerant attitude of citizens of B.C., Her Excellency delivered a moving speech to the party that greeted her on the occasion of her arrival in Victoria.

Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean said:
Victoria, Tuesday, March 7, 2006 —

Although original references to Canadian solitudes spoke of language and cultural barriers, geography can also serve to separate. And living here as you do on this side of the majestic Rocky Mountains, it’s perhaps easy to feel cut off from the rest of Canada.

But British Columbia is integral to Canada’s past and to our present and our future, and the importance of your role and contribution is evident across this country.

Click here for the entire speech.
Her Excellency also proceeded to address the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, after a ceremony to commemorate the visit of the Governor General to the province, on her tour of the country, an established practice of Governors General in recent mandates.

Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Michaëlle Jean said:
Victoria, Tuesday, March 7, 2006 —

It is easy to understand why, despite your distance from what is considered the business, financial and political centre of this country, British Columbia remains the destination of choice for many Canadians – particularly those who seek greater balance in their lives, and a deeper connection with the physical environment.

Indeed, Victoria’s long-standing tradition of counting blossoms helps to remind the rest of the country of how important it is to “stop and smell the roses.” And I confess that since my first visit to Vancouver, I have imagined that if I were to choose to live anywhere outside of my home province of Quebec, it would be here in BC.

Click here for the entire speech.
:?: Sources
Click here for the Web site of the Governor General of Canada.