Burning Question -garbage

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
When my neighbor sets his burning barrel alight with garbage - including plastics - I wonder if I have a right to go into his yard and fill it with snow, to put it out.

Clearly, I would be trespassing.
Clearly also is the smoke pall covering the town, well beyond the borders of his yard. I first smelled it when I was inside my house...

It might get ugly, people stupid enough to burn garbage are generally violent and I am exciteable.
Thats why municipal laws are made... but this is a very small town.

Now, in the 21st C, 30 years after most cities stopped the practise, we still hae people who believe it is their right, and that it is not in any way harmfull.

HARM?
Read the "Firefighters get Cancer" thread in this "BC" forum. They also used to believe [what they were told] that the smoke they breathe in fighting those household fires was not going to kill them
They were dead wrong.

I know if I asked the Town Office for sympathy, they would say "no bylaw, cant help". Its probably her dads place.A very small town...

What do you think? Should I just go over and fill that burning stenchpot with snow next time he lights it up?
[yes, we do have garbage pick up every week, it could go there... which makes this oh so so so so dumb]

Karlin

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
If they are burning plastics and other toxic material, I don't believe you cannot report that to someone, you could make a stink, everyone knows you get things done by complaining 24/7.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
You would have to be careful depending on what you were burning. I used to burn garbage in Ye olde Oil barrel. But that was up north before they started any half-assed garbage disposal system. I see nothing wrong with cardboard and paper, it doesn't stink as bad. Plastics and such...wellll it's best that you live far away from other people cause that sh!t stinks.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Karlin, I'm not sure where you are located but do phone By-Laws and find out. If you live in a city and are zoned anything but 'Rural' you are probably not allowed to burn, at least that's how it works here in BC.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
check out the ministry of the environment website, I am sure you cannot burn toxic material, no matter where you live...course with all the cuts, they might not have a phone still conected :p

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
RE: Burning Question -gar

How far is the barrel? You might not have to go over there, just get a garden hose and launch a stream of water from the edge of your yard... ;-)

If that's not possible, I would go talk to the person first and see if they are willing to stop.

Personally, I think trespassing should be the last option because unfriendly or hostile neighbours will cause you grief.

Good luck.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Call the fire department, they would know and they would also be a little compassionate as to the toxicity of what is being burned.