BUYING a car from a used car dealer? (Vancouver)

godsend

Jul 25, 2005
If you have any previous (bad/good) experiences, plz share with us? Any tips, advices, or anything that would alert my awareness would be appreciated. :roll:

cheers!

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
godsend, if you check the Vancouver (or surround area) yellow pages under Automotive there is a huge section on the do's and don'ts of buying new or used. Alot of good advise. Toyota dealerships have a wonderful philosophy, the price you see is the price you pay.

Good luck.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: BUYING a car from a u

I like to crawl around in a back alley with frozen toes and fingers, buy something, then find out what needs to fixed later. That's not good car-buying advice, but it does keep your mechanical learning curve growing. ;-)

If you can buy something with a warranty, that's generally good. Get the warranty in writing. Try to go to a new car dealer instead of a strictly used dealer. Do a lien search. Get a mechanic to check it out.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
godsend said:
If you have any previous (bad/good) experiences, plz share with us? Any tips, advices, or anything that would alert my awareness would be appreciated. :roll:

cheers!

I have had great experiences buying used Seabrings off the lot that people get rid of after their three year lease runs out. I bought my last one for under 15K (I think) with 45k and it. I bought a 2 year extended warranty and I haven’t had to use it. I must admit, I’m very partial to these cars.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Dodge ohhh please say it aint so Jay 8O My wife rented one of those nice ride but that small gas tank was a pain in the ass had to fill up three time just to get down to the coast and back :x Dodge 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

My brother in-law is a Dodge mechanic. He drives a Chevy. That pretty much tells you how reliable Dodges are.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Hmmm, I take ours north for holidays and from London to well past Northbay, takes just under a tank of gas. It has to be well over 600k...

It is a nice ride, but I want a 300M, or the 300. Maybe next time.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Chrysler makes the best sedans on the road right now, or at least the best ones normal people can drive. :)

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Jay wants a pimp mobile you going to get that with spinners too :p I almost bought one of those instead of my chevy .The kids are just ti young and would trash the back seat so i'll have to wait .I'm still shooting for that mercedes though :lol: :lol:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
mrmom2 said:
I'm still shooting for that mercedes though :lol: :lol:

Like I said before...your going to have to clean a lot of mills to be able to afford one of those! :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Are they? Then how come they are making a profit while the big three are in the toilet? If they were over-priced wouldn't their sales drop?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
You can often make more money by raising prices and selling less....

I had a look at their prices when I was in the market, and they were priced outside of reach for me. The main selling point on a lot of their vehicles is they tend to hold their value, whereas other manufactures vehicle prices plummet when it's time to resell them.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Reverend Blair said:
Chrysler makes the best sedans on the road right now, or at least the best ones normal people can drive.

That'd be Toyota or Honda, Jay. Chrysler is down somewhere below Kia.

8O Holy cow I actually agree with the Rev. Chrysler's got the style, but I'd go for 'boring' Toyotas or Hondas anyday.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
You mean over priced boring Toyotas and Hondas.... :)