Schools break free of junk food

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Some BC schools are getting the junk food out of the students systems.

The issue is that it was causing behavioral problems and lower marks, weighed against the revenue that the vending machines and canteens brought in, often to cover the school's various expenses.

Of all the work educators throughout history have done to encourage the human brain to learn stuff, to find ways to increase the rate and depth of knowledge one could absorb, only to lose it to junk food. Getting rid of it is a big advancement in education!!

The way that junk food affects learning - by interfering with various chemicals and biological processes - means it is also a health concern.

Someone might ask why it was there in the first place
- did they doubt the science that says junk food is bad for learning?
- did they have no other options for the revenue shortfall, could they have just cut some activity/expense?
No, if I knew the science in 1975, they did.
Govt. budget surpluses weighed against kids brains? - it wasn't a balance of revenue and health, no way could that be justified.

It was likely just an easy answer for some money, which ignored the health problems and learning problems., but it is hard to swallow.

So, if not , that leaves a few pretty dark options....
- personal gain for admin types, from the Pepsi-Coke Wars pushing their products with money to burn for anyone exposing youthfull customers to their products.
- Conspiracy of pharmaceuticals to sell Ritilin[tm] ??[not a joke]
- student association demanded it, Principal powerless to stop it [joke].

Oh ya, MOST schools still have it. Perhaps they will tell us why they got it there?

Karlin

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Karlin said:

Oh ya, MOST schools still have it. Perhaps they will tell us why they got it there?
Karlin

Why do some schools have junk food? They are the lucky ones. When I went to high school, the cafeteria food was awful. To make matters worse, it was too far for me to head home for lunch and I was not old enough to drive yet, so I had no choice but to eat at the McDonald's across the street almost every day. I'd rather eat food with preservatives and other chemicals that tastes good than food with preservatives and other chemicals that doesn't taste good (example cafeteria meatloaf ... just like eating cardboard).

Oh yeah, the only exception when I actually ate at school was on Pizza Thursdays. That was the only day of the week I recall the cafeteria had somewhat descent food.

If it wasn't for the McDonald's I would have literally starved. I'd probably have been forced to eat a huge breakfast in the morning before leaving the house and then eat again as soon as I would get home after school.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"Why do some schools have junk food? They are the lucky ones. When I went to high school, the cafeteria food was awful. To make matters worse, it was too far for me to head home for lunch and I was not old enough to drive yet, so I had no choice but to eat at the McDonald's across the street almost every day."

Yup, me too. Were you totally disabled, or were both you and your whole family totally incapable of making a fucking lunch to take to school?

Are you really as stupid as you appear?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Schools break free of junk food

TenPenny said:
"Why do some schools have junk food? They are the lucky ones. When I went to high school, the cafeteria food was awful. To make matters worse, it was too far for me to head home for lunch and I was not old enough to drive yet, so I had no choice but to eat at the McDonald's across the street almost every day."

Yup, me too. Were you totally disabled, or were both you and your whole family totally incapable of making a *censored* lunch to take to school?

We never made lunch in my family. Who wants to eat cold sandwiches everyday for lunch? I usually eat cold food as a snack, not a meal.

s_pics

Nov 23, 2005
banff and montreal
Nascar_James said:
Karlin said:

Karlin

Why do some schools have junk food? They are the lucky ones. When I went to high school, the cafeteria food was awful. To make matters worse, it was too far for me to head home for lunch and I was not old enough to drive yet, so I had no choice but to eat at the McDonald's across the street almost every day. I'd rather eat food with preservatives and other chemicals that tastes good than food with preservatives and other chemicals that doesn't taste good (example cafeteria meatloaf ... just like eating cardboard).

Oh yeah, the only exception when I actually ate at school was on Pizza Thursdays. That was the only day of the week I recall the cafeteria had somewhat descent food.

If it wasn't for the McDonald's I would have literally starved. I'd probably have been forced to eat a huge breakfast in the morning before leaving the house and then eat again as soon as I would get home after school.

when i first red your message i thought you were sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!
then, afterward i looked left, then i understand: Ah!!!! one of these american guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GUY ARE FUCKING SICK.......
why do you eat that kind of shit, mc donald and company, you guys really been brainwashed by your governement, you guys are killing your nation by eating that much fast food. you are feeding your precious body with poison that make you feel sink.....fast food industry is the worst industry of all time, exept maybe the american governement and war industry i have to check for that, it's killing your nation, getting people fat, monopolising, poverty for our workers is their policies, and worst of all you are staining the nice leather of your cadillac with ketchup.........................................
seriously guy quit that shit!!!!

eating should be a non toxic pleasure, you should treat your body with respect: don't forget its yourself

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
s_pics said:
Nascar_James said:
Karlin said:

Karlin

then, afterward i looked left, then i understand: Ah!!!! one of these american guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GUY ARE *censored* SICK.......
why do you eat that kind of shit, mc donald and company, you guys really been brainwashed by your governement, you guys are killing your nation by eating that much fast food. you are feeding your precious body with poison that make you feel sink.....fast food industry is the worst industry of all time, exept maybe the american governement and war industry i have to check for that, it's killing your nation, getting people fat, monopolising, poverty for our workers is their policies, and worst of all you are staining the nice leather of your cadillac with ketchup.........................................
seriously guy quit that shit!!!!

eating should be a non toxic pleasure, you should treat your body with respect: don't forget its yourself

Don't knock fast food, s_pics. It is there for our convenience. At times we're in a hurry so we don't always have the convenience to say bar-b-cue ourselves a nice steak, and instead head out to the fast food drive-thru for a quick combo (burger, fry, soft drink).

If it wasn't for fast food, many single guys who do not even own stoves, would literally starve.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Schools break free of

I am a single guy and learned to cook in high school. A lot of friends laughed but one semester I was the only male in a class full of girls, and girls I know like men that can cook. :wink: Yes I also learned how to sew and type as well,(was early to mid 80's) no big deal, one needs to learn those things, saves money by not going to tailors.

I also learned from my mother and grandmothers and myself. Most Saturday mornings I volounteer to teach disabled kids how to cook for a 3 hours. It is not a hard thing to learn.

My specialty so to speak is cooking seafood. I make a wicked sea-food chowder and a very delicious hot and spicey "shrimp and clam chili". now I am getting hungry.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
I too am a single guy who learned to cook during the teen years... particularly because I love food and even though the once or twice a week fastfood burger was good back then... it just couldn't come close to real food. Mmmm And i have to agree with no1... the women love a guy who can cook... if ya remember to put the seat down, too... just watch the proposals roll in :p :lol:

Getting that crap outta the schools may tick off the ultra-capitalists who figure "if ya can...ya should" but they'd all be dead when the illiterate generation comes to power so why should they care, right? /sarcasm off

p.s. - ketchup is the devil's food :puke:

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land

YOU GUY ARE *censored* SICK.......
why do you eat that kind of shit, mc donald and company, you guys really been brainwashed by your governement, you guys are killing your nation by eating that much fast food. you are feeding your precious body with poison that make you feel sink

Ya and Canada is just jam packed with healthy, perfectly thin and gorgeous people? Sorry, some Canadians are fat and disgusting pigs as well.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Nascar_James said:
TenPenny said:

Yup, me too. Were you totally disabled, or were both you and your whole family totally incapable of making a *censored* lunch to take to school?

We never made lunch in my family. Who wants to eat cold sandwiches everyday for lunch? I usually eat cold food as a snack, not a meal.

So, just because YOU don't like sandwiches, that means that junk food must be served in schools? Your family is too lazy or stupid to make lunches, so you expect the world to bend to your wishes?

You really must be a Bush.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Canucklehead said:
just watch the proposals roll in :p :lol:

Too late for me to learn to really cook. I'm already married with kids. I'll stick with my Bar-B-Cueing...

Canucklehead said:
p.s. - ketchup is the devil's food :puke:

Not so. Don't you remember our great President Ronald Reagan? Ketchup can be counted as a vegetable.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
It's unfortunate the revenue from vending machines is relied upon by our schools and students. Don't forget, some parents in some schools are fundraising for text books here in the lower mainland and elsewhere around the province.

I understand the ease of convenience from places like McDonalds and Wendy's but personally I couldn't eat there more than once or twice a week, doing so makes me feel off, my body is definitely sending me a message and I think I better listen up.

Just like there are by-laws about not having liquor stores within an X block radius of any school, fast food outlets should have been given that restriction too. Kids will ultimately make their own choice but if schools can put on great lunches, gone are the days of cardboard meatloaf, the kids will choose to eat there too.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

TenPenny said:
Nascar_James said:
TenPenny said:

So, just because YOU don't like sandwiches, that means that junk food must be served in schools? Your family is too lazy or stupid to make lunches, so you expect the world to bend to your wishes?

You really must be a Bush.

Why should I eat a plain sandwich (which has almost no nutrition) just for the sake of eating when I can eat hot junk food (which has almost no nutrition) and it actually feels like I ate a meal, not just a snack. Im sure most will agree that eating sandwiches everyday for lunch isn't exactly healthy considering that lunch should be your main meal of the day. I consider dinner my main meal, but I still like to have a regular meal for lunch, not just a snack.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

bevvyd said:
Just like there are by-laws about not having liquor stores within an X block radius of any school, fast food outlets should have been given that restriction too.

I guess that would eliminate supermarkets, Costco, Wal Mart ...ect) as they all sell liquor.

bevvyd said:
Kids will ultimately make their own choice but if schools can put on great lunches, gone are the days of cardboard meatloaf, the kids will choose to eat there too.

If I did not have the McDonald's near my old high school, I would probably have eaten a really huge breakfast (3 eggs, bacon, double toast, hash browns, jam...) before heading to school everyday as it would have to last me the day. I am the type that will not eat food that doesn't agree with my taste buds.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Schools break free of

Why would you eat a plain sandwich? Peanut butter, lettuce, banana sandwiches are good. Whay about beef, pork or chicken with lettuce, tomotoes, sprouts, picles? or cucumber samdwiches? you can add fruit(cucumber, tomotoe) and vegtables (onions,lettuce,radish, herbs etc) to sanwiches.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC

Nascar_James said:
bevvyd said:
Just like there are by-laws about not having liquor stores within an X block radius of any school, fast food outlets should have been given that restriction too.

I guess that would eliminate supermarkets, Costco, Wal Mart ...ect) as they all sell liquor.

Liquor isn't sold in supermarkets, Costco or Wal-Mart here in BC.

bevvyd said:
Kids will ultimately make their own choice but if schools can put on great lunches, gone are the days of cardboard meatloaf, the kids will choose to eat there too.

If I did not have the McDonald's near my old high school, I would probably have eaten a really huge breakfast (3 eggs, bacon, double toast, hash browns, jam...) before heading to school everyday as it would have to last me the day. I am the type that will not eat food that doesn't agree with my taste buds.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And lunches don't have to consist of just plain boring sandwiches, heck I used to send subs, cold chicken, potato salad, wraps, soup, canned peaches and pears, fruit, muffins, scones. Just as I wouldn't feed my family the same thing night after night after night, my lunches vary as much as my dinners do. Plus it's wayyy cheaper and everyone stays healthier. And yes I do send treats and I allowed for the kids to buy 'cold' pop.

And yes trips to fast food places happen but not on a daily basis.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Schools break free of

no1important said:
Why would you eat a plain sandwich? Peanut butter, lettuce, banana sandwiches are good. Whay about beef, pork or chicken with lettuce, tomotoes, sprouts, picles? or cucumber samdwiches? you can add fruit(cucumber, tomotoe) and vegtables (onions,lettuce,radish, herbs etc) to sanwiches.

Interesting selection of sandwiches, no1. I personally prefer a Bar-B-Cue Pork sandwich. It has got to be my favorite.

If I was in school again and/or had a tough job where I worked from 9-5, I would need something good with sustenance to tidy me over till the day was over. A cold sandwich everyday just wouldn't do it. That is why the fast food chains put up restaurants very close to schools. They know that students who live far from home will head there to eat.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

bevvyd said:
Nascar_James said:
bevvyd said:

Liquor isn't sold in supermarkets, Costco or Wal-Mart here in BC.

bevvyd said:

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And lunches don't have to consist of just plain boring sandwiches, heck I used to send subs, cold chicken, potato salad, wraps, soup, canned peaches and pears, fruit, muffins, scones. Just as I wouldn't feed my family the same thing night after night after night, my lunches vary as much as my dinners do. Plus it's wayyy cheaper and everyone stays healthier. And yes I do send treats and I allowed for the kids to buy 'cold' pop.

And yes trips to fast food places happen but not on a daily basis.

Hmmm ... your idea of a cold lunch does sound better than eating plain sandwiches everyday, Bevvyd. I do like subs.

As for breakfast being the most important meal of the day, from an energy point of view, it might be, however from a health point of view, it might not. We should avoid eating food during the first four hours after we wake up and four hours before going to sleep. After we wake up, our body needs four hours to raise it's metabolism to where it can process the food properly. Same applies before going to sleep. If we eat something within four hours of going to sleep, once we fall asleep, our body's metabolism will lower, and will not be able to properly break down the food. Unfortunately our body clock cycle is not set up to be breakfast friendly. That is why many folks just have coffee for breakfast. Unless you have breakfast four hours after waking up.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
And if our systems are all 'greased' up from too many burgers, special sauce, french fries and pop that doesn't properly break down either, hence both countries obesity problems.