MLA's get pay raise

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Just heard on the news that MLA's voted for themselves a 15% pay raise. So the average pay for your MLA is $86,000/year while Campbell reaps in $140,000 and the opposition leader goes home with something like $110,000.

They must do alot of work to make this amount of money.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
You forgot the reinstatement of a Pension - that Harcourt did away with in the early 90's, saying that if most citizens could plan their own investments, so can MLA'S..

All this was done in a secret meeting, raised and passed in one hour (debate last 0ne MINUTE!), by both the Libs and the NDP.

But Gov't employess can take 0-0-0, up the wahzoo!

Thanks, Campbell - now I can stop carrying around this tiny thread of a chance that I would vote Liberal next election....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
cdn_bc_ca said:
Just heard on the news that MLA's voted for themselves a 15% pay raise. So the average pay for your MLA is $86,000/year while Campbell reaps in $140,000 and the opposition leader goes home with something like $110,000.

That isn't a lot of money.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Jay said:
cdn_bc_ca said:

That isn't a lot of money.

It is when the average income is somewhere around $40,000.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Go ahead, pay them 40K and see what you get.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
MLAs' pay will rise 15 per cent to $86,580 on April 1, 60 per cent of the pay of MPs. MLAs now earn $72,300. A federal MP's base salary is $144,300.

Premier Gordon Campbell's salary rises to $146,320 a year, up from $120,400 -- a 21.5 per cent pay jump. Carole James, leader of the NDP Opposition, will now make $131,329 a year, up from $114,400.

Sickening since most public sector workers recieved nothing for 3 years

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
NDP calls for delay in raise for B.C. MLAs

VANCOUVER (CP) - British Columbia's New Democrats got cold feet Friday after agreeing to a 15 per cent pay raise for provincial politicians as they called on the government to stall a bill that would grant the increase.

The bill giving MLAs the raise was passed in the legislature on Thursday, but NDP Leader Carole James said she now wants the government to withhold giving the bill royal assent to prevent it from becoming law.

"I have listened closely to British Columbians," she said in a statement. "Serious concerns have been expressed about the process we took to arrive at the decision to increase MLA salaries, pensions and the resources to serve constituents."

Well that is a good sign. I think they should get 2% raise, that is more than generous since not many people have gotten raises (and had rollbacks) since he got in.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Re: RE: MLA's get pay raise

Jay said:
Go ahead, pay them 40K and see what you get.

We will never know... Hey! Are you saying that there is a correlation between salary and job performance?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
No, that isn't what I'm saying in this case.

I'm not the kinda person who gets all up in arms over MPP/MP salaries. I think we should pay them well.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Re: RE: MLA's get pay raise

Jay said:
No, that isn't what I'm saying in this case.

I'm not the kinda person who gets all up in arms over MPP/MP salaries. I think we should pay them well.

So you don't have a problem with your MP getting a 15% pay raise while the rest of us morons get something like < 5% over x number of years?

Oh well.. never mind.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I understand it may upset some people.

I usually only get 3%.

Ursula42

Nov 13, 2005
Vancouver
It's gonna be a hot year for contracts. A short list: ramming through the train to richmond and yvr, setting up for the olympics, attempting to erect the four pillars, flogging off bc rail, not getting gnarly on softwood, water mismanagement, wonky biz with the landfill issues... things will get interesting, no doubt.
Its been a while since both labour and the investment circly and various hangers on are tooth and nail fighting over the bones. To lots of regular people $40,000 a year is a lot of money. :) Might even have a spare $100 for lottery tickets, doing our part to keep the hospitals working and not asking for more than our Care Card.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
One thing though I am glad of is Carole James admitted she made a mistake in voting for such a big raise, I know the "right" is accussing her of flip flopping but she admitted she made a mistake pretty well right away, to me its no big deal and its too bad more politicians are not the same. She will take some heat but I believe most people will forgive her. She has proven herself to be an honest politician. I as a voter appreciate that and the fact she is showing great leadership in this situation.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Lorne Mayencourt may have a little bit of a hard time come next election, he firmly believes he deserves a pay raise and he let everyone know exactly where he stands on the issue. oink oink oink

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Carol James should resign as leader of the NDP, she has betrayed. To late to back track now, and the only reason she is back tracking is because she has been bombarded by NDP members who have told her exactly what they think of her.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
One thing you don't seem to notice is that as an MLA, you are expected to be available 24 hr/day, 7 days/week, 365.25 days/year, at all functions, and be willing to take the abuse of every single person who wants to give it to you. And to subject your family to the same scrutiny.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to do that crap.
It's a thankless job.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Important, its the cushy pensions they set up for themselves, through the back door :? Carol James is a traitor, thats my story and I am sticking to it. Makes me sick how she and that number one bastard made all patti cakes for a cash grab. Wow! our first disagreement 8O

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well you know she is a sort of new to all this and that is no excuse. But at least she admitted her error. Hopefully she learns from it. But I admit it was a big faux pas.

What fun would it be if we all agreed on everything all the time? :wink:

Campbell should resign for many reasons.