Ferry hikes

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Here we go again, islanders getting the shaft :? The price goes up and the service goes down.

You now have to dig deeper in your pockets to take a ferry.

Effective Tuesday, B.C. Ferry Services Inc. charges $32.15 for a car travelling at mid-week between Vancouver Island and the mainland. That's a 90-cent hike.

Passengers now pay $10.30, up from $10.

In addition, there's a $1.35 fuel surcharge for vehicles and 35 cents for passengers.

The increase is the annual 2.8 per cent fare hike the corporation is permitted for the major routes to the mainland. On minor routes, fares are up an average of 4.4 per cent.

At the same time, the ferry corporation is ending its low-season fare structure that applied in the quiet winter months.

Now, there will be just high-season fares from Victoria Day weekend to Labour Day, and shoulder-season fares the rest of the year.

"It's just difficult having three different rates," said Deborah Marshall of B.C. Ferries.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
To be honest peapod,

I expected the increases to be much higher. You are right about the food though. It is barely fit to eat.

no1

Is there another, similar, ferry system in the country that is free? I've been looking and all I've found is the Mission/Fort Langley ferry that is free. There are probably others that I haven't found. The confederation Bridge linking P.E.I to the mainland is sure not free.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Ya, remember when they use to make the best clam chowder 8) I still would not like to see a bridge tho, than we would no longer be lotusland, we would be swarmed by those sea to sky crowd :lol: :lol: :lol:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The price hike is there to "improve services". I just love how they all spit out that line....whether it has any affect or effect on anything.

Soon Island people will be prisoners on their islands. I'd like to hear some of those silly islanders explain that away with the "that's the price you get for living in paradise" line.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well I guess its the ones that never leave the island, alot never leave unless they have to, I know many people who have not been off the rock in years, but your right its a feckin hassle getting off it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I just had a thought (it doesn't happen to often so bear with me) If the ferry keeps increasing it's fees it'd be the perfect opportunity for the barges to expand their services and maybe take passengers or purchase passenger vessels.

If Victoria would just do something about not having a harbour for containers or fix the island highway.........this would never become a problem

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
#juan said:
To be honest peapod,

I expected the increases to be much higher. You are right about the food though. It is barely fit to eat.

no1

Is there another, similar, ferry system in the country that is free? I've been looking and all I've found is the Mission/Fort Langley ferry that is free. There are probably others that I haven't found. The confederation Bridge linking P.E.I to the mainland is sure not free.

I think all of inland ones (Kootney Lake, Barnston island, Little Fort and Mclure) are all free. I could not find prices (and the BC Highways site only lists one link for all 14 inland ferries,not counting Fort Langley one) on the Web Site I do know the Albion from Mission/Fort Langley is now a buck and will be a toll bridge their in a few years.

But the problem is the amount of money the feds and provincial governments get from gas taxes is spent on roads and all are free (except Coquihalla for which tolls pay for it, even though it must be close to being paid) so if roads are free the ferry's are just an extension of them it should be free or at a lot lower rate.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
so if roads are free the ferry's are just an extension of them it should be free or at a lot lower rate.

Except that it's a private venture now. They had agreed to minimum price increases during the sale for 5 or 10yrs (can't remember) but the great thing about the fuel surcharge is that it is not a profit increase and just an operating cost increase....which means it fits snuggly inside the loophole the private company's lawyers made for it.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
peapod said:
I think each citizen in lotusland should be issued their own bathtub...one for all and all for one...eyepatches :p you gots to buy your own. :lol:

Have you or anyone else on this board participated in that Nanaimo-Vancouver bathtub race?

Well Beaver you swam around Island but would the open water or any other obstacles make it harder to swim to the coast?

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Well I see BC Ferries has now "simplified" the fare schedules. See before there was an off season fare and a regular season fare, much like hotels have. I can just bet that this new 'simplified' fare schedule was so that management could 'simply' figure out their profit sharing or pardon me, performance bonus. They've cut down on cleaning staff to the point the place is a pig sty, there are stains of god only knows what on the new seats, litter everywhere. But they have an expanded gift shop and a bar now. I can only imagine what that place will smell like in a day or two.

And does anyone want to venture as guess as to what "travel incentives" BC Ferries might have to offer?