Victoria braces for protest

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Rob Shaw
Times Colonist

Monday, October 17, 2005

British Columbia's major public- and private-sector unions will descend on Victoria today for a protest that could shut down a host of services -- from buses to mail delivery to university classes.

Thousands of unionized workers from the health care, construction, auto, restaurant, office, telecommunications and government sectors are expected to march to the legislature in a show of support for B.C.'s striking teachers.

Picket lines co-ordinated by the B.C. Federation of Labour and more than 15 labour unions are almost certain to disrupt bus service, mail delivery, liquor stores and university classes, as well as some restaurants with unionized employees, recreation centres, certain grocery store services, government buildings and services, libraries and some hotels.

About 38,000 teachers have been off the job since Oct. 7, fighting a government-imposed contract that provided no wage increases and did not address calls for smaller class sizes and improved special needs support.

The B.C. Supreme Court has ruled the teacher strike illegal and frozen the B.C. Teachers' Federation's assets.

The teachers have said they are willing to negotiate to end the strike, but Labour Minister Mike de Jong reiterated the government's position Sunday, saying it will not return to the table until teachers return to classrooms. He denied feeling any pressure at a looming day of organized protests.

"The pressure we feel relates to the children, relates to the students that should be in school," he said. "We have an obligation not to allow the government of British Columbia to be intimidated into a course of action by a group that, at the moment, seems to believe it is above the law."

The protests begin at 11 a.m. with a march to the legislature and a rally at 1 p.m.

Canadian Union of Public Employees' B.C. president Barry O'Neill said recent comments from de Jong are "not encouraging," and labour unrest is likely to escalate soon.

Services at hospitals, long-term care homes and special-needs facilities would not be interrupted by today's action, the Heath Employees' Union said Sunday.

As well, regular ferry service will be maintained, although a B.C. Ferries spokesperson said a busy day could mean additional ferry sailings.

Some classes at the University of Victoria could be cancelled by picket lines, although the university said it would keep its buildings open

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Victoria braces for p

Are you going Pea? I should of. I hate missing these things. But no bus service and liquor stores are shut down there as well I heard. I hope Campbell gets message but somehow I doubt it.

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
RE: Victoria braces for p

I'd be tempted, but no bus service of course and I am carless and I don't have a liscence anyway.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Judging by the pickets in the parking lot at our community center .I'd have to say it looks that way no1 :wink: Just hang on a sec while I go check to see if there still out ............Yep still picketing .The mill never shutdown today though :?