catching crabs on a saturday night

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Right! I know what your thinking! blah! I am talking about one of the favorite pass times of we islanders and mainlanders....tales from the crab crypt.....

The best place I ever tossed yea old crab trap, was in port hardy, near the fish cannery, lots of crabs hang out there. Yikes I swear I gots like 5 pounders, everytime I pulled the trap up, course the thermos of hot toddy, could have caused slight exaggeration..my bait was cat food....punch a few hole in the top of the tin...mmmmmmmmm we would cook them right there on yea olde coleman...butter...you gots to have butter and garlic.... 8)

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: catching crabs on a s

Did you try bacon yet? What about asking the butcher for scraps? Do they taste good?

With my twisted mind, I thought Saturday night and crabs...oh never mind.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yes I knew you would important :p I had to word it in such a way as to lure you into da trap :p. No I have not used bacon, you told me about it, I am going to give it a try.....I notice alot of people throwing traps in down on the waterway in nanaimo juan, surrounded by tourists...hahahhaha lots of woo's and ah's, makes me wonder what they would say if they saw one bigger than 6 inches.....hehehehehheehe

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Quite a few years ago, my dad was working on the Columbia cellulose plant in Prince Rupert and we lived in a little town called Port Edward. Just up the inlet there was an abandonded jetty about a half mile long that jutted out into the inlet. We had a half-dozen crab traps set and we got more crabs than we could eat. We would get a fire going on the beach and we had a crab cooker made from an oil drum. The crabs were a mixture of Dungeness and King crab. Would you believe we ate only the claws and the biggest legs. Obviously crab meat didn't cost fifteen dollars a pound back then. Maybe it is only the memories of youth but I haven't ever seen crabs that big again.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
peapod

you must mean the fishing jetty that sticks out from the seawall. It's a neat place with park benches all along it. Jan and I often sit out there and watch the boats and sea planes come and go when we hike along the seawall to Departure Bay and back. We watch them bring up the crab traps but they rarely get a keeper. A six incher would cause quite a stir.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yes thats the place juan, they sure have made it a wonderful place, I bets I have seen you and jan sitting on one of those benches :p When I visit my parents we always go down to trolls for fish and chips (fluffy on the inside, crispy on the da outside) and than we walk the seawall. There use to be a little gang of newfoundlanders that use to play their music there. They were reallllllllllly good!
You can also find frito down there throwing his trap in....well actually he throws 2 traps out, one for crabs, and one for da ladies....hehehehehhehe....tis a beautiful spot now. 8)

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Ya gots to do something about the thread title Pea :lol: When your name is posted beside it I'm LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your date saturday left you a gift that keeps on giving :p :p :lol: :lol: Itchy and scratchy show :p :lol: :lol:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Heya momsy, its not saturday night, but I will be catching crabs on a wednesday night :p Yum! ha! to bad frito :p he went home this morning, I will save him some scraps :p
Yes momsy, tomarrow I will be going a fishing in my home town of Port Alberni. 8)

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Can't say I've tried catching crab yet. When the tide is out here you get your regular old 4-5" shelled crab but nothing big.

I have had a try catching lobster by hand though, you just swim out to where the water is 6-9' deep with a mask and snorkel, find the lobster and try catch it. However, unlike crabs that usually go into the defensive posture, Oh lobsters do that too, but they then just swim directly towards your face!! 8O

This is what I'd consider an extreme sport.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Yo! important...gots a new shaboom! fishin vest 8) I could put a whole tackle box in the nooks and crannies. So when are you coming over so I can teach you how to nail a silver bullet 8) Oh yes...how the crabbing???

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: catching crabs on a s

I have not gone crabbing due to this savage +5 to -3 weather here. Too cold. But come warmer weather I will be crabbing away.

Pretty cool about your new vest.

Yes I look forward coming to the Island to do some fishing.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
what are ya important a wuss 8O fill the thermos up with hot toddies and get out there :p I tried your bacon idea, it worked, but than it was a good spot, I could have used anything :p